“Excellent tapas and friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cau

Cau
Reserve with OpenTable
Cau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 677 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Steakhouse, International, Argentinian, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cambridge
“Excellent tapas and friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to Cau for lunch yesterday, and took the tapas approach to their menu ordering 6 small plates between the two of us.
The food was excellent, all perfectly cooked and with a lovely array of different tastes.
The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout, getting a good balance of helpfulness without tipping over into irritating.
The desserts were superb, the chocolate fondant really was to die for!
A decent price for high quality, well cooked food. Will definitely return.

Visited July 2014

• Greek first
“So nearly very good, please learn to cook steak though!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We've been to Cau about half a dozen times now and the fact we keep returning should be testament to how much we enjoy it - the ambience is great, the malbec is lovely and usually the steak is fantastic. But in six visits I've had to return my steak on two occasions (one occasion it took three attempts to get medium rare right - it was blue every time) and I should have returned it last Saturday but I really couldn't be bothered by this point to argue! The cynic in me suspected that the maître d' recognised me and gave the kitchen the heads up to cook it over to avoid a complaint. It's unfortunate as this time my steak was way, way overdone and although still fairly tender, it was pretty frustrating to be left on a third occasion with a steak not cooked medium rare and disappointed with my food. Had the rest of my table not had perfect plates I would have raised it with the waiter, but frankly I couldn't face another meal where I started my food once everyone had finished! For any cynics reading this review, I've been lucky enough to enjoy great steak in some truly fabulous restaurants and have a chef as a husband so I'm reasonably confident with what a competently cooked steak looks like.

Despite all of this, I actually do enjoy going to the restaurant. The night of three attempts, the maître d' kindly offered complimentary coffees and puddings and was quick (once aware) to put it right. The staff are young and fun, the cocktails great and the starters (try the empanadas) are good too.

I think the sheer volume of orders means that steaks aren't perfect every time (I know a few people with similar experiences) but that said it's still a good restaurant in our city that is sadly lacking in culinary flair. Tip: my lack of luck has been with the rump and rib eye. The rest of the party had medallions and sirloin and it was perfect on each occasion.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant in Cambridge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I went a lot of time in this restaurant and I think is one of the best restaurant for sure , try the steak is amazing. Only the price is sometimes high.

• Visited May 2014
Tetbury, United Kingdom
“Holy Cau!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Steak is our family delicacy, and we have tried the parent company, Gaucho, so we really had to try out Cau. Wow! Better than Gaucho by a mile. We tried to Tempura pork, chicken skewers, and Tuna Carpaccio for starters. There is quite a difference in portion size, but the waitress had prepared us for that. All were fabulous, and we could not decide which was the best. Two of us had medallions - perfectly cooked, one rare and one medium. My daughter had the Tapa de Cuadril, which was delicious and a much bigger portion than anticipated. The chunky chips are fantastic! We added a Rocket and Fennel salad as we had opted for fairly small steaks and we were rather glad that we had done so. Again, the waitress was good at guiding our choices. We drank the Espiritu de Argentina Malbec which was reasonably priced and an excellent accompaniment to the steaks. We could not manage a pudding unfortunately. £120 for three of us and worth every penny. Overall, great
food, great service and we will be back!

Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Very tasty food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

This place was unexpectedly goid. Probably the best macaroni cheese in Cambridge (yes, even better than Byron) and delicious steak, chips and pastries.

Highly recommended.