“Delighted with new atmosphere”
Review of The Alexandra Arms

The Alexandra Arms
Ranked #4 of 55 Nightlife in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: Burgers - Brews - Banter Thats what we do at The Alex, a backstreet boozer that does great beer, from local breweries. Great burgers, hand made on the premises every day and all we ask is that you bring the banter.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Delighted with new atmosphere”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have visited this pub twice in the last week and have been very pleased with the lovely atmosphere, friendly welcome and choice of beers. Have not sampled the food yet but it looks good and we shall have a meal at the earliest opportunity.

Visited May 2014
HI

I'm so pleased you like the way we've styled the place, Id like to take all the credit but my Fiancee would kill me if I didn't say that she had (more) than a helping hand. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Take care

• Polish first
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“New kid on the block”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Recently opened after a makeover we found this pub to be excellent for lunch. Friendly welcome, good food and an wide range of craft beers on draft - hurrah! Monkfish scampi was delicious as was the artichoke salad and veggie burger with portobello mushroom and halumi. We can also recommend the chocolate brownie with peanut butter ice cream - yummy. They serve decent coffee too. A very nice place for any occasion plus they have an outdoor area for when the summer does actually begin.

Visited May 2014
Hi

You did promise you would review us on tripadvisor! many thanks, so glad you enjoyed it and hopefully see you here next time your in town.

Cheers

Cambridge
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 243 helpful votes
“Friendly local pub. We had high hopes for Sunday lunch but sadly it did not deliver”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

As the other reviewers have noted this pub is under new management. I have visited from time to time over the years, it can provide more of a haven then the Cambridge Blue or Kingston Arms. It is smaller and has always been a lot quieter. I drink lager so I am not in a position to comment on the real ales, but there seem to be a good selection (though obviously the Cambridge Blue has a wider one). There is a small East facing garden at the back which on a sunny day is a nice place to sit out. I was looking forward to having Sunday lunch but it did not deliver. My beef was tough and stringy, I had difficulties cutting it up with a rather blunt knife, there was virtually no gravy (not that I like too much of it) and the vegetables were hard and undercooked. My friend's pork pesto dish did not deliver either. Another gripe is that the plates seemed too small for the food, there was a generous amount of it but I cannot help comparing it to a Sunday lunch I had in Cornwall a couple of months ago (half the price!) and really yummy tender meat with great veggies. Well maybe we were unlucky but I sadly I won't be rushing back, at least not for the food. We were not asked how how our meal was when we paid up which was a shame, especially as we seemed to be the only people eating there at that point..

Visited May 2013
2 Thank annemarie10
Hi

I'm sorry to hear that you were a little let down by you last visit to the Alex, My name is Ed and I have recently taken over and would love to show you the changes we've made, I think you'll be impressed.

Take care and hopefully see you soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“You should visit.”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

The Alex has been given a new lease of life. This is a Greene King 'tenant' pub. Meaning that although the building is owned by GK. The owners pay a rent to Greene King, but are largely left to run the place as they see fit.

Just as well. If that wasn't the case this would be another generic GK pub in a city full of them. Thankfully, it isn't. This pub has been unloved for many years in an area of Cambridge dense with drinkers who love their food and beer; and pubs that love to supply them. Thankfully, the new owners of the Alexandra Arms (aka 'The Alex') understand their market very well. Which isn't surprising as they also run The Free Press.

Food is great; genuinely great. No other pub in this area has food of this quality. At the moment it isn't so busy you can't get a seat, and they've not implemented The Kingston's reserve every table policy.

Unfortunately I think they're still tied to Greene King for beer; but thankfully Greene King have been supplying a wider variety of beer to their leased and tenanted pubs of late and here they take full advantage of it. For me, this pub has the best food-to-beer-to-seat-to-atmosphere balance in this part of Cambridge.

Definitely worth a visit for the food, and the beer is pretty good too. A real gem, and you should visit so it stays open.

Visited May 2013
Ely, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Perfect pint”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Very friendly local pub where tables can be shared and new friends made. The wood burner kept us all warm and cosy when it was much needed and the staff were friendly. Definitely the best pub in the locality.
A joy to find a warm welcome in this newly opened back street pub serving very nice beer and what a lovely selection there is. I sampled 3 in what they call a 'paddle' where you get 3 x 3rd of a pint on a paddle board. Fantastic way of sampling the ales without having to over indulge. I haven't eaten here yet, but the ploughmans platter looked marvellous. The wine list is very good and reasonable. Looking forward to my next visit.

Visited January 2013