“Best Thai in the centre of town”
Review of Shabu Shabu - CLOSED

Shabu Shabu
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
“Best Thai in the centre of town”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I do like my Thai food, and I still think the Wrestlers on Newmarket road is pretty good for an honest bowl of food, but this is a very close second. The menu here is good and it is obviously more of a restaurant. The food is delicious and honestly I personally feel is the best in town. The new first and last pub which recently became a thai pub is also very good, but Shabu Shabu is purely a thai restaurant and therefore feels a little bit more special in its ambience.
The only thing I don't really like is that you have to write your order on a piece of paper, which I always feel somewhat takes away from having a proper waiting experience, but at least if they get it wrong it's your fault.

• Visited September 2013

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Cheap tricks”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We went to Shabu Shabu because Teri Aki was closed for refurbishment and ate from the Teri Aki menu so I can't comment on the Thai food. When asked the bill came quickly but they made no effort to come and take the cash from the table. When I eventually handed it to a waitress she didn't bother coming back with any change even though it would have made a very large tip. This seemed very purposeful and probably a trick to catch tourists out. We have been loyal customers of Teri Aki for years and I had intended to try the Shabu Shabu menu next time but it has put me off, very cheap trick!

• Visited August 2013
Annecy, France
“Avoid - food poor and service terrible”
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Like other reviews below, I found the service here terrible and the food poor. There are better options in Cambridge and the low rating on TA is justified.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank we_love_two_travel
Calgary, Canada
“Great Decor, Mediocre Food, Terrible Service”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The management of this place takes little care in providing any hint of respectable service. The place was busy and understaffed. Half of our party finished eating before the other have had received their food. During our entire stay (1hour), our waiter only came by once. When we complained about the service, we had the manager who came to our table and was dismissive and condescending. We came into this place in a great mood and left like feeling bullied by the management. I cannot understand how this place can stay in business.

• Visited July 2013
“About average”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

The food here was definitely mixed. The soup we had for starter was quite nice. The sea food tended towards the chewy but that always seems to be the case with prawn and squid. The main, a Chef's Special Lamb Massaman curry, was not what I had hoped for. The sauce tasted more like gingerbread than carefully spiced Thai food and the lamb was gristly, to the point where I had to spit some out (my British politeness gene went haywire). I wouldn't choose to eat there again but it was a harmless enough place with decent service.

Visited July 2013