“Our visit to Cambridge Science Centre”

Cambridge Science Centre
Ranked #35 of 168 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: Reopening of this place is to be announced. Cambridge Science Centre is moving to a new location in 2017. Cambridge Science Centre is an educational charity bringing hands-on science through interactive exhibits, shows and workshops for all the family to enjoy. Whilst our gallery moves to a new location, look out for our Street Science and COSMOS Roadshow events around Cambridge and East Anglia.
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I spent a very interesting and enjoyable 2 hours at the Centre. My husband was an Engineer so of course it was especially interesting to him. However, I enjoyed watching the children enjoying themselves with all the exhibits and it was so good to see the enthusiasm of the Volunteers and the Staff who were putting on the Shows. It was smaller than we expected but it was crammed full of clever and interesting exhibits.

You could tell that a lot of work and enthusiasm went into putting the exhibits together.

3  Thank Lancasterian

Reviewed 30 July 2014

First I am pleased that there is a Science Centre in Cambridge and I intend to return with my 6 year old grandson. There were lots of interesting activities. However the afternoon we visited ( 2 x 60+ and a 4 and 6 year old) was hot and the small, busy low ceilinged room was airless and uncomfortable for us grandparents. There was air conditioning but not very efficient. Because I am not an engineer or a scientist I was relying on the helpers to explain some of the activities. They were not great at engaging with young children - One said that she was a volunteer and didn't know how the experiment worked. Perhaps better to try the experiments and then volunteer. We will try again without the 4 year old and on a cooler day.

1  Thank Marchhare83
gleesome, General Manager at Cambridge Science Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Hi there,

First off let me thank you for writing a review of our Science Centre and giving us feedback about your visit. We appreciate all comments as it helps makes sure that as we grow and develop we are aiming to meet our visitors needs.

I am sorry to hear that your visit to our hands-on gallery space was a bit of a disappointment in terms of the level of engagement with our staff. Our volunteers on our floor are great at engaging public audiences normally and apologies that yours was not ideal.

I have passed on to our volunteer coordinator about the ways in which audiences are interacted with. Specifically to get volunteers to call more on experienced staff to assist with things beyond their knowledge.

In relation to this hot weather our air conditioning systems are having difficulty to deal with the heat and we are actively looking at ways to improve this.

If you have any suggestions or further comments of what would have made for a better visit to our centre please do pass them on to our Operations and Events manager Gaetan Lee: Gaetan@cambridgesciencecentre.org who would be happy to talk with you.

Many thanks again for your feedback

Many thanks
Cambridge Science Centre Team

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Superb, spent 4 hours here. Excellent thought provoking fun experiments. Teachers should visit to see how it should be done. Most who visit will learn something, I did. Will visit again.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Great hands-on fun stuffed with facts and info and brilliantly presented. Kept our 6 year old absorbed for 2 1/2 hours. Lovely staff too.

1  Thank Phillip H
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We dodged in here at 10am to avoid the rain, and because the museum of archaeology didn't open until midday on a Sunday. I thought it would take all of 10 minutes to look at everything as it was a very small place. How wrong I was!

We spent nearly 2 hours here playing on things, making electricity, turning knobs, trying to build Eiffel Tower style structures out of magnets and sticks, watching experiment and cutting up paper to try and make it fly in a wind generator. Brilliant fun for all ages, especially 30 something's like us parents as we got to be kids again!!!

Highly recommend, and very reasonable prices.

2  Thank Clare H