“Super Science Centre”

Cambridge Science Centre
Ranked #35 of 168 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: Reopening of this place is to be announced. Cambridge Science Centre is moving to a new location in 2017. Cambridge Science Centre is an educational charity bringing hands-on science through interactive exhibits, shows and workshops for all the family to enjoy. Whilst our gallery moves to a new location, look out for our Street Science and COSMOS Roadshow events around Cambridge and East Anglia.
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Today was our first visit to the Cambridge Science Centre. My 8yr old son and 6yr old daughter loved it. We enjoyed the talk about Formula One cars and later the talk about our amazing senses. We appreciated the fact that our entrance fee was valid for the entire day. We went out to get lunch and popped back again later.

3  Thank Annaphil34

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Visited as a group comprising 2 grandparents in our 60's, daughter and grandson who is 10. it was a small centre but well laid out and packed full of different experiments and learning stations. Our grandson didn't know where to start. There were two talks, one on formula 1 and one on strength by design, both of which were fascinating to him and us older ones. As a retired engineer I found it useful to help explain some thinks to the older visitors with me. My grandson was still talking about the day and what he had learned until he went to sleep. An excellent day out and well worth the small admission fee. I hope that the centre can grow and become even more visitor friendly as the years go by..

2  Thank Geoff B
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were in Cambridge last week and I saw they had and exhibition called Extreme Engineering and knew my son would like it. He loved it the exhibits and enjoyed talks on how motors work as well as a talk on engineered textiles that protect you from things like fire or bullets. He asked to come back repeatedly over several days, so I took him back.
It is a very small place, but if you have children who like to have tactile experiences, this is a good afternoon.

4  Thank Rose R
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The centre, at first sight appears very small, and we did at first doubt if it was worth the effort. Those doubts were soon quelled. the staff and volunteers have packed the room with so many exciting and interesting things to do. The exhibition was Extreme Engineering. We built bridges in a variety of different styles and materials, we explored electronics, windpower, and the destructive power of earthquakes. We played with soundwaves electrical generators and motors. The presentations by the staff were interesting and informative, and beautifully pitched to the audience listening - not too grown up yet not too babyish either. Staff were always on hand to help, advise, or just encourage participation.
No, it is not the London Science Museum; it is far more hands-on than that. We are already planning when we will go back again.

2  Thank RachelHM512
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I spent a very interesting and enjoyable 2 hours at the Centre. My husband was an Engineer so of course it was especially interesting to him. However, I enjoyed watching the children enjoying themselves with all the exhibits and it was so good to see the enthusiasm of the Volunteers and the Staff who were putting on the Shows. It was smaller than we expected but it was crammed full of clever and interesting exhibits.

You could tell that a lot of work and enthusiasm went into putting the exhibits together.

3  Thank Lancasterian