“Good food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Herts
“Good food”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We ate at the Brunswick with my 86 year old mother last weekend. The food was all delicious and very well cooked. Our waitress was polite and friendly. It was everything else that makes the score just average. You can only park close by for one hour; the seats are uncomfortable; there is a long wait for the food and the music is too loud. So despite the good food we won't be going again.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank 2727Jean

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Special event”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We booked the Brunswick a month ahead for a special dinner for 12 people. Gerry the owner was very helpful discussing the options and helping us plan, including re-arrangement of tables and some changes to the normal menu. I can't pretend to have a refined palate but my steak was delicious and everybody said they really enjoyed their food. House wine was good too. Service was very friendly and attentive, if not particularly slick. If you appreciate the personal touch rather than formal perfection I can definitely recommend the Brunswick.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Disappointing return”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Ate at the Brunswick last year and I have to say it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten, imagination was not the word - Superb. First time around i would have given this resturant 5 star!! So much so I decided to go back for an anniversary. However, unfortunately I was massively disappointed. The food was average. No doubt it was well cooked but the main lacked flavor and imagination. The starters were ok – My starter (Deviled kidneys) was so spicy it was tricky – Just lucky I like hot/peppery food. Most disappointingly we were not in the restaurant. We were put into an upstairs conference room that was made into a makeshift dining room. It was a very strange room and created an aweful atmosphere. I wouldn't have minded so much if I had been told that this would be the case but there was no mention of this when I booked. On the whole massively disappointed. Only just gets an average rating. Really saddened by my experience.

2 Thank patgrant23
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and service first class”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We went to the Brunswick today and I've just got to say it was a first class meal prepared by Paul the chef. The service was also first class with very friendly staff. The prices too weren't exorbitant with a very reasonable lunchtime 2 course set meal, so will definitely be back to try it in the evening.

2 Thank Nick1050
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Went there to try new restaurant, nothing was good except the simple decoration! food was horrible and service was one of the worst I have ever seen. What a big disappointment. Definitely wont recommend it or go back there. Not sure how it reached such a high ranking on tripadvisor!

1 Thank Solava I
Gerry S, Owner at The Brunswick, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I'm unable to correlate your review with any visitor to our restaurant yesterday.

I am really sorry that we did something to provoke such an assiduous response. We really have no idea what we did to offend or upset you. We did not receive any negative feedback in our comment book or note any complaints during our check backs or have any adverse comments when the bills were presented. It is very difficult to apologise genuinely when we are really not sure what the complaint is. I am sure you are aware that comments like this do severe damage to our reputation and we will do anything we can to put things right if there is a genuine issue that has affected your enjoyment of the restaurant or food service.

Please write to me or phone the restaurant and I will certainly do everything I can to address the issues you have.

I spoke to our chef and he is genuinely mortified that such a complaint was received, he takes such pride in his work and the food that is prepared and presented. He has many years of training and has worked in some great restaurants around the world with nothing but positive and complimentary reviews, so he too would welcome the opportunity to know what the problem is and I know he will be only too keen to put matters right.

Our food suppliers are all local and of high reputation, they too would be very upset if they thought they had fallen short on quality, freshness or taste.

I will discuss this with the staff on duty at the time to try to determine what the problem was and what we might do to obviate any future recurrence.

Please take a moment to write to us or contact me directly and I promise I will do everything I can to remediate the situation to your complete satisfaction.

With best regards