“Not amazing”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Merhaba Restaurant

Merhaba Restaurant
Ranked #118 of 683 Restaurants in Cambridge
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Not amazing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Don't understand why this is the 11th most highly rated restaurant in Cambridge. The starters were average, and the only vegetarian main was a stodgy moussaka. I know of several North London Turkish restaurants which serve better, fresher food and serve a wide array of good veggie dishes.
My lamb was OK but rather expensive.
The restaurant is OK - typical of the better resto attached to a kebab takeaway. So not romantic or much atmosphere. Service was amateurish, albeit charming.

3 Thank Madmax88

Adana, Turkey
“Authentic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Parking is available in the back of the store fronts with entry in the back as well. The car park is small and will cost approx. 2-3 pounds for two hours. The car park has limited spaces so it might be difficult to park, and parking on the street behind it is only allowed after 4 or 5pm. A parking attendant frequents the area, so don't risk the ticket!

Our family lived in Turkey for two years and miss the food only after three months in England. Therefore finding a Turkish restaurant in Cambridge to eat at during our visit was a must!

Although a bit small the atmosphere of the restaurant is light and airy. It's set-up like an authentic Turkish restaurant with the display case at the front showing the uncooked meats and fresh salad varieties to choose from.

The décor they have is also authentic with real Turkish tiles and the same paintings of Istanbul one would find at a Turkish Bazaar. I would have liked to see a Kilim (Turkish Carpet) or two. And the beautiful lamps turkey is well known for. The restaurant has some potential for more decorating to fulfill a greater Turkish experience.
There bar is stocked with Turkish beer Efes and an authentic Liquor called Roki which is clear, but turns milky white when you add water, -normally drank with equal parts of both.

The staff was friendly with good customer service, but we entered and greeted them in Turkish and continued to order speaking Turkish, so they were naturally impressed and curious about us. There was only one miscommunication where we thought we ordered both the hot starters sampler and the cold starter sampler, but we received the hot sampler with an extra side of Sucuk -which is amazing in itself and we were happy to have and eat this mistake!

The rest of our food was accurate and great tasting, just like our favorite restaurants back in Turkey! Our kids ordered chicken Shish, a Doner meal, and Iskender Kabop. My husband and I split a hummus (which was good but I prefer it baked hot), Sucuk ve Yurmataldi Pide, and the hot starter sampler plate.
All the portions were good size and fit for sharing; we went home with extra. And of course something never to be missed when experiencing the Turkish experience is Cay (Turkish Tea). -It's best with one sugar added to it.
Yet this was the only disappointment. When in Turkey Cay is part of the culture and usually a free commodity between a person and their guest, client, or patron. At Merhaba's the Cay cost money. Also when in Turkey most the children do not like the regular Cay, therefore they order Elma Cay or "Apple Tea". The apple tea that Merhaba has is not authentic to Turkey's. What you receive for Elma Cay in Turkey is the same color as the regular cay. What we received was red and looked and tasted like any Lipton Apple Tea. So we had to pay for this tea as well and did not receive what we expected. Our daughter did not even like it! The original Turkish Elma Cay is simply amazing and cannot be substituted.

Overall this was a nice clean comfortable restaurant with average prices. We had a fun great experience visiting and dinning here.

4 Thank Corrine R
“Used groupon voucher”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Was really good...and love the more modern look....food is really nice.....just wish they would put fruit on the meze....But cant fault it... i do agree that the smokers should shut the door....plus will make the air con work better lol.....i would recommend eating here tho.....

1 Thank Peter L
Cranage, United Kingdom
“Fresh tasty food - well worth the visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have passed this restaurant on many occasions on my way to the Travelodge on Newmarket Road, but this was the first time I got a chance to try it. Well within walking distance of the city centre and Newmarket Road - I can now understand why they score so high on Trip Advisor. The outer part of the restaurant is for takeaway, but the display the uncooked kebabs, kofte, etc.. Immediately you get the impression of fresh food and excellent hygiene!! The waiter was a little grumpy, but it was a Groupon night and I think he was genuinely pleased to have two customers paying the full price. I had the cheese borax - exactly how it should be - crisp, flaky, etc. My colleague had the olive/humus dip. For main course I had the chicken shish and my colleague one of the best cooked and largest lamb shanks that I have seen. Excellent value and I will definitely be back.

“Pleasant surprise ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Had a meal here having walked past the front of house for years. Nice food , gods portion size (we had the set menu) and quick courteous service. Only down sides are the layout of the restraint which if you are sat at a middle table as we were you feel quite hemmed in. Secondly the smokers go out front to puff and the fumes drift in. Overall though a pleasant meal and I would eat here again.