“Retro Gaming Night Was Great Fun”

The Centre for Computing History
Ranked #10 of 168 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I went for the evening with my son. It's the fourth time we have been there and have twice joined in on special events like this one. This Computer Centre is great for getting involved with computers, whether gaming or programming, for all ages. Few computers these days let children program them but whilst going back to early machines, my son is fascinated by them and what you can get them to do. The staff are always helpful, want you to get involved and will spend time with you. It doesn't happen like that at many places. That's why we have been back several times.

1  Thank Mark V

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I thought this was going to be another boring museum about computers and I only went along to keep him happy, but to my surprise, it was an interactive, memory stirring, eye-opening experience. There are computers from my childhood (I'm 37) that have been preserved or restored and I could play on them! I even beat my high school score on snake and only the rarest items have a 'do not touch' sign on them. Everything else is playable! Old school arcade games, Street Fighter and Pac-Man are available to enjoy and the warehouse style layout was un-patronising but informative. It was great to see the mobile phone transformation from the brick to the most up-to-date models. This is a must visit, a very enjoyable morning and it's not just for geeks!!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Fascinating to get a feel of how computing devices have evolved over the last 60 years or so till today's latest computer and gaming devices. Lots of hands-on opportunities, whether for gaming or basic programming. Wonderful to show my teenage son the computer I used to program on when as a teenager I attended an after-school computer club. Very laid back and spacious museum. Friendly staff with interesting informational and educational project. Watch the website for activities during school holidays!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

In my past working life, I used many of the items displayed - punch card machines, computers using paper tape and magnetic tapes, a electric "fancy dancy" adding machine. It was fun to show my son electronic items that I used all those years ago. It brought back many memories.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Home computing enthusiasts and gamers are well served with hardware and software, while annotations supply important social context.

Amid the breathtaking line-up of hardware, every console and home computer I can remember - and many I can't - from the early '80s onwards seems to have been preserved and reanimated to give visitors hands-on experience of early home computing. Among the rarer machines, Apple IIIs rub shoulders with Lisas, a NeXT workstation and the only working Acorn Phoebe in the world.

Look out for the talks, workshops and regular gaming events which are already becoming very popular.

1  Thank RichardHare