“Fantastic rainy day attraction”

The Centre for Computing History
Ranked #8 of 158 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic rainy day attraction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

If you need to while away a few hours on a rainy day with the kids of any age then head here. A real hands on treat of games consoles and computers. Remember pong, pac man, space invaders? A really good laugh and a fun few hours, childhood memories relived and a great couple of hours playing games past and present. If raspberry pi is more your thing then they have these to. Relaxed, informal and fun.

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cambridge
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Interesting fun and interactive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Popped into the centre today for a while well almost all morning in the end. Lots of history and interactive hands on exhibits. We all had a go at old and new games lots of fun and worth visiting again

Warwick
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

They have such an amazing collection of computers, games arcade cabinets. Really interesting.
They deserve to have a better building for the collection they have.

Solihull
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Not just for geeks!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Firstly let me say I am female and in my 60s and only visited this attraction because I knew my husband would love it and indeed he did; the expression 'like a child in a sweet shop' comes to mind! However I also enjoyed the centre and reminiscing about the changes in our lifetime. We spotted all the consuls we had owned right back to the Binatone of 1977 and played a game of tennis on it. In fact almost all the computers and consuls are in working order so you could spend hours there if you were so inclined. The attraction would appeal to any age right down to the youngsters who you could bore telling them about the 'old days' but I saw a few playing on old arcade machines and consuls and having a great time. Definitely worth a visit and I'm pleased we slotted it into our short break in Cambridge.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank SolihullCatwoman
Tønsberg, Vestfold, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great trip down memory lane!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

For a self-proclaimed geek of the 80s, this was a nice trip down memory lane. They had all sorts of old computing hardware, and most of it was actually up and running and working. I could try out some of my old BASIC code and my friend even did some funky assembly on a old BBC Micro.

It also had an Oculous Rift running there, which was interesting to see how the head tracking worked and how you could make interesting interactions with it.

But the absolutely best part of the visit was the knowledge the staff had about the equipment in there. You could tell that they definitely had the passion for all this old hardware they had around.

Great visit! Definitely worth another visit with more time on your hands.

Visited July 2014