“RETRO HEAVEN!”

The Centre for Computing History
Ranked #5 of 178 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Centre for Computing History is a hands-on interactive display of computers and game consoles that date back to the early sixties! From Pong to Pokémon, experience game play evolving. The display includes the huge computers of the sixties, the home computers of the 80’s and much more.
Reviewed 20 August 2014

What a fabulous place! This was worth the trip from King's Lynn, and at Less than £20 for three of us (2 adults, one child) it was WELL worth it!
This is pure geek heaven, and even if you are not especially techy, you will remember lots of the old games we used to play.
You will be taken back in time, when dinosaurs (well, computer dinos anyway) ruled the hearts of the aspiring tech head, with the most 'basic' (see what i did there? lol) computers, from office computers, military, games consoles, and arcade games, to name a few.
Bring your kids and show them a life before those 'swipey screen' things, it's a great education!
Ladies, if your husband goes missing, make a beeline for the Sega games consoles, and follow the sound of him going "OMG, I played this as a kid!!"
Go and flick some switches, and try some great retro tech!!
I would recommend you use Google earth, street view to see where you have to double back on the main road.

All reviews
"great place to visit"
"whole family"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I've come to Cambridge every year for over a decade, so when my father mentioned this I was very surprised I'd never heard of it. The woman working at the door was very nice and willing to tell us anything we wanted to know. Apparently it only opened a year ago (that explains why I've never been). She told us only about 1/10th of their collection is on display because it's so new, so I'm definitely going to be going back! i'm certainly a gamer and was excited to see (and play!) the NES and SNES (which were before my time) and the N64 (which I can't find my cables for at home). There's everything from computers to calculators to gaming consoles. Many of the gaming consoles and arcade games are playable so be sure to check it out if any family members like gaming or technology.
The store and cafe are definitely small and in progress but do exist.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We visited here with our 6 and 3 year old and it was a great place! They both loved it as they could play on all the old consoles. It brought back so many great memories of my childhood both at home and school. A great display of computers and consoles a lot of which you can use and the staff are great!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The people working there were lovely. They're was also some quite old machines over there. However, sadly, the price, 7 pounds, is way too expensive for such a small museum of 3 rooms. This is especially true for a tourist because of the exchange rate. Cambridge is such a beautiful town, I do not recommend any tourist to go and spend time over there, except if they have children.

2  Thank Kevin L
Jason F, Manager at The Centre for Computing History, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hi, Thanks for your review. We really appreciate it. As a young museum (just a year old), all feed back is important to us. Anyway, I'd just like to respond to your comment about price. We had hoped our £7 for adults and £5 for children is pitched about right. It is also the minimum we can charge that covers rent, rates, electricity and minimal staff. (most of us are volunteers). If you compare our fees with say the cost of cinema entry we compare very favourably. You can stay here all day playing on any of they working machines (of which there are a lot!), learning to program in our classroom, reading about the computers and talking to the staff. It costs just £20 for the entire family. Compare this with cinema tickets for a family for £25.55 for just a couple of hours. We believe we are very good value. And to say 'just three rooms' makes it sound small. Actually one of the rooms is very big and contains over 160 systems in that room alone. Most people are surprised at how big the museum is. I suppose it depends what you're interested in, but to not recommend any tourist to visit I feel is a little unfair! But thanks for visiting and reviewing. Jason :)

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is an ideal place to visit - whatever your age and nature of your interest in computers. The name Museum may suggest something on the dull side but the reality is anything but dull. I went with a son and his two children and we all had fun. I soon found myself exploring the only working version of the Acorn Phoebe, the about to be launched computer which was never released when Acorn gave up making computers to focus all its efforts on its ARM chips - which have gone on, of course, to become world-beaters. My son indulged himself with several of the computer and arcade games he played in his boyhood and teenage years. My grandchildren chose to go randomly between the large number of working machines at their disposal and enjoyed everything from Snapper on an 8-bit machines to the most realistic of virtual reality devices. The number and range of functioning machines available is enormous. There are many I have never seen before - let alone been able to switch on and try out. Trip Advisor likes reviewers to recommend a length of visit for attractions. What's so nice about the Cambridge Museum of Computers and Gaming is that you can just as easily enjoy a short visit as a long one.
The volunteers on duty were friendly, enthusiastic and knowledgeable - as well as patient with this old codger as he reminisced about the early days of personal computing. I'm hoping to find time to call in on my next visit to Cambridge - to pass on some of the goodies I still have collecting dust in the loft.

1  Thank DannyfromChilwell