“New and clean, noisy at night.”

Travelodge Newmarket Road Cambridge
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed for two nights on business, for £120. I had trouble finding the car park entry so rang the hotel from the car as it was late when I arrived and the guy offered to stay on the phone until I found the entry which was great. I got parked easily. Check in was quick and staff are very efficient and friendly. Communal corridors are very hot. I had a room at the front of the hotel, it was ample size for the two night stay, it was clean and comfortable. The room was a little warm and would benefit from aircon,it was list at night from the traffic and people outside. I ate in the bar on the second night burger was okay, service was quick. The 30 mins Free wifi is good for quick download of emails etc. good access to City.

Room Tip: Back of hotel will be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is part of my letter of complaint...
Having returned from your recently built hotel I can without doubt tell you it has been the worst experience in a lifetime working at the highest level in Yorkshire in the Travel Industry.
We stayed at the Premier Inn Norwich for the following 2 nights. Premier Inn are similar to yourselves in being classed as budget hotel chain. However the budget tag only applies to you and in fact you go out of your way to emphasise to your customers that they are staying in budget accommodation whereas Premier go out of their way to provide a much better experience.
When checking out we were asked by a young lady at reception if we had enjoyed our stay I explained why we had not and within 30 seconds of listening she offered us a full refund. I rejected this because I want your views concerning the vast differences between Premier Inn and yourselves….bearing in mind that on this occasion (both hotels booked on same day) Premier were £15.80 per night cheaper or 23% cheaper.
However my principle complaint is that you deliver budget product at budget prices whereas one of you main competitors does not. You surely cannot be satisfied with this. Moreover you surely do test market your competitors so you can only confirm that my observations are correct.
See comments re breakfast below

Room Tip: Car Park: Notice at entrance asks you register with reception presumably to get an authority notice...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan J
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Exactly what you'd expect from the refurbished Travelodges, this is fresh, clean and well maintained. However, when we arrived, the reception staff were too busy having an argument to attend to us (or the three other people waiting in the queue in front of us). I also wished we'd gone for a continental breakfast rather than a full English as the bacon had been microwaved and was wet, and the sausages were impenetrable without the aid of nuclear weapons. It was a great location for the event we were going to (at the Alley Club, across the road) but it was ferociously hot on the third floor, the window was restricted to opening only about three inches, and we nearly melted during the night. We like Travelodge and use it a lot, but we won't be hurrying back to this one on Newmarket Road...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We arrived on a hot day and were disappointed to find that the public areas on our floor were stifling as was the room. There was no through ventilation, the extractor fan in the bathroom being out of order. The water pressure in the shower was weak.
At breakfast it was difficult to find a table that had been cleaned and wiped. The staff was casual in the extreme and very slow apart from the person responsible for the cooked breakfast. No doubt poorly-paid, casual labour is being used but this is another reason to train the personnel correctly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Absolute minimum parking facilities. 'Overflow' is miles away and they will charge you an extra £24 for the privilege. Rooms are relatively small with no air conditioning. Buffet breakfast is pretty good. Strongly suggest you stay at a Premier Inn or other hotel if you can.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2014

room + much of building unbearably hot as was no proper ventilation or aircon room temp was about 28c hotter then outside
no great for adults - horrible for 2 small kids
otherwise was as would expect.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights over a weekend. I had booked a single room and was pleasantly surprised to be allocated a family room as it was very spacious. The hotel itself is very clean and decorated/furnished to a high standard. The room was at the front and so there was a fair bit of traffic noise but I did have the window open. The only downside to the room was a lack of air con, on one of the hottest days of the year I really would have appreciated it. There was a fan in the room though which made it bearable. The location is ok, a little way out of town but a five minute bus journey (buses every 10 mins from right outside the hotel) and costs about £6 for a taxi back. I didn't eat here but my parents did and said that the food was perfectly acceptable and that the bar was very reasonably priced. Friends of mine stayed at the University Arms and paid over double the price - I personally don't think they got their money's worth and definitely paid for the location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo