“Cains”

Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Merseyside
“Cains”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Excellent no faults whatsoever very impressed with new modern rooms and staff could not do enough for ourselves .excellent location not to far to Cambridge City centre within walking distance also very helpful staff gave us quick maps to get us into city centre .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank John And Janet C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Never had a friendlier welcome or service in a budget hotel. Our triple family room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was extensive, lots of choices so everyone was happy.

We would heartily recommend this hotel. It's quite walkable from the city centre or a short bus ride.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank yorkshirepudding70
South Ockendon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel on 9/10 August for a family party which was nearby. It was a huge improvement on the previous Travelodge I stayed in but there was still plenty of room for improvement.
Parking is a bit of a problem if the hotel is busy. The weekend of my stay was very busy and there was no space in the underground car park but I managed to squeeze into a space in the road quite close to the main entrance. I got lucky because I am not sure where I would have parked had this space not been there. Consequently we changed our plans as we were going to drive to a party on the Saturday night but were not confident of a space being available when we got back so we got a taxi instead.

Check in was quick and easy and the staff friendly and efficient. Our swipe card would not work at the first secure door we came to on the 2nd floor but a staff member appeared from nowhere and kindly ran the card down to reception while we waited. The room was nice, modern, very clean and a decent size. It was quite warm though. It wasn’t unbearable but it would have been more comfortable a few degrees cooler. Had the outside temperature been higher I can imagine it would be quite unpleasant. It was breezy and some air came in through the window but not enough. The window had to stay open for the duration of our stay. As mentioned in many other reviews, pretty much the whole building is too warm.
Despite it being a bit warm my family and I had a decent night sleep. The double Bed was comfy and I didn’t notice any noise from outside. Pull out beds felt a bit hard but the kids were ok with them.

Probably the biggest issue with the stay was with the breakfast. As I said the place was busy and they really struggled to cope with the amount of people at breakfast time. Food was too slow to be replenished leaving people waiting in the queue. Also the layout of the buffet area meant the queue for food mingled with the queue for drinks and you were not sure who was waiting for what. Also the cold drink machine was right next to the door for the kitchen so it’s quite difficult to avoid getting whacked by the opening kitchen door as staff come out as you fill your glass or wait your turn. When I did finally get some food I thought it was quite tasty.

We only paid £39 for the room and £12 for the breakfasts so, all in all, I think that was value for money and for that price I’d happily stay there again. For the choice of my favourite budget hotel though, I would still choose a Premier Inn.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Originally booked at a different travelodge outside Cambridge on the A14 road but at arrival (at midnight!) outside the entrance was flooded from quick downpour during evening. Me and the girlfriend was greeted by a friendly staff holding an umbrella and has wellies on, he told us because of the flooded entrance we been transferred to this travelodge nearer the city centre (at no extra cost) which we drove another 15 mins to there and we was greeted by another friendly staff. We were told we can have breakfast for free in the next morning. The bar was still open at 1am which I enjoyed a drink before a good night's sleep. I was feeling refreshed for spending a day visitnh Cambridge for the first time. The friendless of the staff as enabled our stay to be stress-free and I would come back here again if I visit Cambridge again in the future.

Stayed August 2014
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Room was spacious and clean and airy. Daily room service of cleaning and replacing towels was good service. All in all, good value for money and very pleasant stay. Recommended. Good location just out of town but within walking distance and near to smaller shops and supermarket.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Very clean and comfortable rooms I had a quiet room out the back. Have stayed in some crummy travelodges in my time but this one I would definitely recommend as good. Loads of busses into city centre with stop just outside hotel. I will be back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This travelodge slightly on the outskits of the main centre yet within an easy 15/20 min walk was comfortable and provided all thats needed for an overnight stay. Clean rooms, comfortable bed with nice linens. We were also pleasantly surprised at the lack of noise from within the hotel, the rooms are clearly well insulated.. The breakfast buffet was also a reasonable purchase with the food being continually freshly cooked, although the atomosphere of the eating area is more like a motorway service area.
The downsides were an incredibly small bathroom (shower only) with an extractor fan that wasn't working so the whole room misted up very damply. More oddly there were only hand towels provided, not sure if they had run out of large towels or if this is just their policy ?
The rooms could seriously do with air conditioning, although a fan was provided which we had to run all night, plus with the window open the traffic noise was evident.
The positives outweighed the negatives. The staff were friendly and helpful, they could do wih more staff on the desk at main checking in and out times always a queue. Didn't need to use the car park but I suspect a 200 room hotel with only 50+ car parking spaces is a huge problem for the local people who live around there. On a walk out in the morning we did notice a car parked on the outside of the car park with a smashed window.
If we were visiting Cambridge again for an overnight stay we would use again. One note if you are looking for good evening food you do need to go into the centre of Cambridge there appears nothing reasonable in the immediate vicinity.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple