“Port in a storm!”

Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Port in a storm!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Travelodge are upping their game; the room we had was a good temperature, quiet, comfortable and spotlessly clean. We had all we needed; tea tray, TV, huge bed and after a very busy day it was a very welcoming place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Erlangen, Germany
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a room facing the street at the very end of the corridor. The window was fixed, but also sound proof. There was a air-conditioning, so we did not experience great need for fresh air, especially if you are not in the room throughout the day. The room was simple, but comfortable with lots of power outlets to use for charging the various devices, BUT all in UK standard.
The breakfast although simple allows for various options.
As a conclusion we've had great time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I must start by saying I only stay in Travelodges as a last resort as they have been so awful over the last few years.
Cambridge Central was convenient for Homerton College where I was working the following day which was why I booked it. There is a car park, but it does not have enough spaces for the number of rooms and the charges are high - and operate 24 hours. There is a multi-storey close by which is cheaper when the Travelodge validates the ticket.
If you want a supermarket, Sainsbury's is next door, Tesco opposite; there are about half a dozen chain restaurants opposite plus a cinema and what I thought was a night club.
Check-in was quick and friendly, and there is a lift. When I got to the room, the air-con was on which was very pleasant as it was very hot - but when I was shivering half an hour later, it wouldn't turn off. There are no phones in the room so I had to go down to reception and the young man came back up, but also couldn't turn it off.
They said they'd call the engineer, but if it couldn't be fixed I was offered the choice of moving to another Travelodge on the opposite side of town, or staying where I was as the hotel was full. They said they'd let me know if the engineer would be coming, but after an hour and a half I had to trail back downstairs to see what was going on. The engineer had been called and a different receptionist told me I would be accommodated in a different room in the hotel if it couldn't be fixed.
I also asked them to have a word with housekeeping as the floor hadn't been vacuumed for days, if not weeks. There were hairs and fluff clearly visible and if I drew the sole of my shoe along it, a roll of dust/fluff/hair was left. No good.
Anyway, the aircon was fixed - or at least it was off when I came back from a night out and I didn't try it again just in case it went wrong again.
The windows don't open by the way, so you're reliant on the the air con.
No soap in the bathroom, just a small phial of hair and body wash.
On the plus side, the bedroom has the new bed which was extremely comfortable
Cooked breakfast wasn't served until 8 on a Saturday but there happened to be a few of us with an early start soit was cooked early. It was extremely ordinary but we appreciated the effort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank devonshiremw
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I am local to Cambridge (been studying here for five years) and booked this hotel for my parents' visit. The hotel has been recently renovated and looks clean and nice. Rooms are very quiet at night but there is noise coming from the air conditioning in the room.

Also, the windows cannot be opened. There is Subway, pizza hut, two supermarkets next door, cinema and buffet restaurants in the building opposite. There are also barber shops and banks and kebab houses if you take a stroll down the main road, all within 5 minutes of walking distance.

This hotel is close to Homerton College but is far from other Cambridge colleges and historical attractions. Bus No.3 next to the main road outside the building takes you to the city centre in 10 minutes (Cambridge is really a small town)

This place is also within 10 minutes walking distance from the train station and is arguably the closes accommodation you can get if you want to live next to train station. However since the windows cannot be opened, you won't be disturbed in your sleep by the train.

Air conditioning needs improvement, as has been a problem raised by previous reviewers, and did not get fixed with the renovation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have been here for almost a week with my school. The price was fine and the rooms were not to bad. It was also pretty clean but if you like luxury hotels in the city centre I suggest you to choose another hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Freddy1112
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Came back from a night out to find someone else had been given keys to our room and had moved their luggage in! Had to pack up our luggage and be moved to another room at 11.30 at night so as to avoid being joined in bed by a complete stranger in the middle of the night. Whoever had dumped their luggage before going out had access to our valuables and we had access to theirs, good job we were both honest. Glad I wasn't a female staying on my own as the other person given the room was definately male! Made a complaint to customer services today at 10.00am now 8pm and still no response!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debs714

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels