“Great stay, except . . .”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cambridge
Railway Lodge Guest House
Ranked #32 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
London
“Great stay, except . . .”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife and I recently stayed for one night. Tony was very helpful and accommodating. He has an amazing report with clients. The place, as others have mentioned, is rustic. Some may see it is a bit run down. But my wife and I found it very charming. And the breakfast lives up to the reputation.

However, we ran into a problem while checking out on Sunday morning. Tony must have left the premises, so his wife checked us out. I mentioned to her that Tony agreed to let us leave our suitcase at the guest house as we wanted to explore the town and our train wasn't until 7:00pm. If you stay here, you'll discover that it's quite close to the station, yet quite far from the city center. This made her very upset. She said that Tony would never allow clients to leave bags on Sunday because that's their only day off. She was very rude and impatient. And offered no solution. So I asked if we could keep the house key as to not bother them during dinner. This just made her more upset. She made my wife and I feel quite uncomfortable.

My suggestion is to interact with Tony and not his wife. Maybe they will respond to this, as I believe an apology is in order. But for the record, I have never written a negative review about any experience before, and I'm quite uncomfortable even writing this. But it's important to me that owners are held accountable for inappropriate behavior. I'm am truly sorry if this sounds offensive in any way.

Room Tip: Make sure you coordinate your baggage situation prior to booking (with Tony).
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eric T
Bannister45, Owner at Railway Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
It is unfortunate that this incident occurred and I do apologise for any misunderstanding or any feeling of inappropriate behaviour on our part that was inferred.

When guests checkout keys, should be handed in. This gives a sense of closure to our obligations as accommodation providers, whether it be for one night only or a longer stay. The keys are then made available to incoming guests allocated to that room and the security of their environment is not compromised.

The holding of luggage for later same-day collection is an additional free service, extended as a courtesy to most guests, in order to enhance their stay. A mutual agreement about the time of return and collection is generally reached, so that neither party will be inconvenienced.

On this occasion, I had committed in principle (during a pleasant conversation at Sunday breakfast) to hold the guests' luggage. Contrary to what has been indicated in the review, the actual time of return had not yet been established nor mutually agreed. I was then called away unexpectedly, without being able to communicate to the guests that early closure had been arranged for that particular day at around 17.00 hours. 'Mea culpa'.

It was thereafter (in my absence) that the reported contretemps arose; when, it would appear, that an unstoppable force encountered an immovable object. I am sorry that a diplomatic solution could not be reached at the time. Hopefully, we can make amends another day.

Anthony King

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I only stayed one night but felt the place is a bit run down for the cost. Didn't feel the service by the owner even from the initial phone call was very good. I think the place would do well do be completely refurbished. It's not a terrible place but I think its cost is only slight justified from its central location. A very average stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Bannister45, Owner at Railway Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
We appreciate the frank comments of this reviewer, 'Steely Al', particularly the recommendation for overall refurbishment which is currently under consideration in the planning stage.

His relatively low scores for value & service, however, do appear to reflect a somewhat subjective viewpoint and personal sensibilities of which we are unaware.

We regret the fact that we have not lived up to his expectations in the matter of 'keeping up appearances' but contend that the substance of what we offer in terms of clean rooms, comfortable beds, appetising food and friendly service compare favourably with most premises in the guest accommodation category (as opposed to registered hotels).

Our location, close to the railway station, undoubtedly remains a strong choice factor, as this customer rightly observes.

Anthony King
Owner / operator
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

One night stop 28th July 2013. Ideal for motorcyclist. hard standing at rear of premises. 15 minute walk to centre. Tony the owner most helpful. clean, tidy and made to feel welcome. Would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank spud3568
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 19 July 2013

my dad and i went to make my brother and sister stay for a month and study there in cambridge we stayed there for a week they are very friendly and good food always clean and the kindest people i have ever met and they made my trip. i will never forget them

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nesmakhedr
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Stayed here to attend the Duxford Flying Legends Airshow. Not even five minutes from the train station and a 15-20 walk to city centre. Clean comfortable rooms, Wireless internet perfect. Full breakfast terrific. Only issue is thin walls/floors. Guests above walking around and snoring made for a couple of sleepless nights.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Auckland, NZ
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

The price and hosts make this a no-brainer. The location is perfect and breakfast was great (perfect eggs sunny side up). The Oak Bistro nearby is a proper gem for fine dining if you are in for a treat. Only downside was that we could hear the other guests. Tea facilities in room and very gracious hosts.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 1 night after cycling from London and it was very nice. The owner was friendly and welcoming and helped us to lock our bikes in a convenient and safe place. This was what I would expect from a nice B&B (smallish room, slightly outdated features) but that was part of the charm. The location is fantastic, just a couple of minutes' walk from the train station but on a quiet residential street, and is easy walking distance from the city centre. The price was also very reasonable compared to other places I'd seen, and the breakfast was very filling! I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple