Railway Lodge Guest House
US$321
US$278
Doubletree
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$358
US$339
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
The Lensfield(Cambridge)
US$151
US$141
Agoda.com
Regent Hotel(Cambridge)
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Newmarket Road Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
  • Bar/Lounge
US$210
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed here when I was attending Anglia Ruskin University. It's in a great location - really close to the railway staion (which is only 5 mins away) and the city centre (just 10/15 mins away.)
I really liked the owner, he's really friendly and remembered my name every time I was there and always put me in my favourite room without me having to ask.
The breakfast selection is really good - you can help yourself to cereal and juices and there's a menu for you to choose hot food. All very tasty!
The rooms are nice, a wee bit outdated to some people probably but I don't really mind things like that. The only bad thing is the water pressure in the shower - it seems the higher up in the building you go the less there is.
Definitley recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stopped here Saturday night accomodation was a credit to the owners who are very pleasent and helpful. The Railway lodge is very handy for the station but not on a busy road and only a short walk to the centre of Cambridge The breakfast was full english and very good if we was in the area again would stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Staying here for two nights to take in the sites of Cambridge, I would highly recommend the Railway Lodge. The room was clean, the breakfast was delightful and having arrived late into the Friday night Tony was incredibly amicable and a great host. Considering how overpriced many hotels and B&Bs are in Cambridge, the price of Railway Lodge Guest House is great value for money with a location on a quiet street close to (as the name would suggest) Cambridge train station.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob B
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife and I recently stayed for one night. Tony was very helpful and accommodating. He has an amazing report with clients. The place, as others have mentioned, is rustic. Some may see it is a bit run down. But my wife and I found it very charming. And the breakfast lives up to the reputation.

However, we ran into a problem while checking out on Sunday morning. Tony must have left the premises, so his wife checked us out. I mentioned to her that Tony agreed to let us leave our suitcase at the guest house as we wanted to explore the town and our train wasn't until 7:00pm. If you stay here, you'll discover that it's quite close to the station, yet quite far from the city center. This made her very upset. She said that Tony would never allow clients to leave bags on Sunday because that's their only day off. She was very rude and impatient. And offered no solution. So I asked if we could keep the house key as to not bother them during dinner. This just made her more upset. She made my wife and I feel quite uncomfortable.

My suggestion is to interact with Tony and not his wife. Maybe they will respond to this, as I believe an apology is in order. But for the record, I have never written a negative review about any experience before, and I'm quite uncomfortable even writing this. But it's important to me that owners are held accountable for inappropriate behavior. I'm am truly sorry if this sounds offensive in any way.

Room Tip: Make sure you coordinate your baggage situation prior to booking (with Tony).
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric T
Bannister45, Owner at Railway Lodge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

It is unfortunate that this incident occurred and I do apologise for any misunderstanding or any feeling of inappropriate behaviour on our part that was inferred.

When guests checkout keys, should be handed in. This gives a sense of closure to our obligations as accommodation providers, whether it be for one night only or a longer stay. The keys are then made available to incoming guests allocated to that room and the security of their environment is not compromised.

The holding of luggage for later same-day collection is an additional free service, extended as a courtesy to most guests, in order to enhance their stay. A mutual agreement about the time of return and collection is generally reached, so that neither party will be inconvenienced.

On this occasion, I had committed in principle (during a pleasant conversation at Sunday breakfast) to hold the guests' luggage. Contrary to what has been indicated in the review, the actual time of return had not yet been established nor mutually agreed. I was then called away unexpectedly, without being able to communicate to the guests that early closure had been arranged for that particular day at around 17.00 hours. 'Mea culpa'.

It was thereafter (in my absence) that the reported contretemps arose; when, it would appear, that an unstoppable force encountered an immovable object. I am sorry that a diplomatic solution could not be reached at the time. Hopefully, we can make amends another day.

Anthony King

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I only stayed one night but felt the place is a bit run down for the cost. Didn't feel the service by the owner even from the initial phone call was very good. I think the place would do well do be completely refurbished. It's not a terrible place but I think its cost is only slight justified from its central location. A very average stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Bannister45, Owner at Railway Lodge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

We appreciate the frank comments of this reviewer, 'Steely Al', particularly the recommendation for overall refurbishment which is currently under consideration in the planning stage.

His relatively low scores for value & service, however, do appear to reflect a somewhat subjective viewpoint and personal sensibilities of which we are unaware.

We regret the fact that we have not lived up to his expectations in the matter of 'keeping up appearances' but contend that the substance of what we offer in terms of clean rooms, comfortable beds, appetising food and friendly service compare favourably with most premises in the guest accommodation category (as opposed to registered hotels).

Our location, close to the railway station, undoubtedly remains a strong choice factor, as this customer rightly observes.

Anthony King