“Very Pleased”

Ranked #38 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
West Midlands
“Very Pleased”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We cannot understand the previous poor review as we found this to be a most satisfactory little bed and breakfast with very friendly proprietors. We thought it excellent value for money for the price we paid. The room and bathroom were spotless, the bed very comfortable and the breakfast selection was better than in many hotels with fresh fruit salad, pancakes, omelettes, smoked salmon and Continental all on offer as well as traditional full English. There is plenty of parking and it is very convenient both for Cambridge city centre and the A14. What else coud you ask for in a traditional B&B?

Room Tip: It is on a main road so if you are worried about traffic noise ask for a room at the rear.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed as a solo traveller for one night here, arriving by bike from London. My experience of this guest house was negative, and I cannot recommend staying here.

From the moment the hostess opened the door, I was made to feel like an unwelcome intruder in the house. I soon noticed that other guests were being scolded and just generally told off in the same bizarre way that I was myself. In the end, the whole affair felt like a bad joke.

The single room that I stayed in was compact but tidy. However, the air was stuffy, and the noise from the road outside was a nuisance. Also, the shower showed negligible pressure.

All in all, this was my worst experience so far in any guest house anywhere.

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank Eero H
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

a wonderful stay at a beautiful modern amazingly super clean guest house free parking free wifi and a first and i meen first class breakfast the attention to detail ,the lovely garden the old amusment arcade machines in the breakfast room a superb stay and will def return oh and an amazing price i dont know how they do it BELLISIMO thanks to a lovely couple stay if your visiying cambridge or even london and get train in its that good and the price [they even give you a map to the local pubs and a good price taxi company ]

Room Tip: to be honest there all good
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gary g
Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My Husband and I stayed here as part of my husbands 50th birthday treats, we had two very comfortable days and nights in this beautiful Bed and Breakfast, we arrived at 11.30am as we had travelled from another hotel in Stratford Upon Avon as part of our UK tour, we asked Lucia the owner of the house if we could check in early as the website does state check in 2pm, Lucia welcomed us into the ground floor bedroom ''wow'' it was the biggest bed I'd ever seen, the room was light airy and scrupulously spotless, a beautiful en-suite that looked like it had just been tiled and decorated, after settling into our room Lucia showed us a map of the city and explained about the local bus that travels into Cambridge every 10 mins, she highlighted the map of Cambridge and informed of us where to get on and of the bus, The breakfast was so fresh, lots of fresh fruit salad and yoghurt's, plenty of variety cereal boxes, cheese's... a full cooked breakfast, or scrambled egg and salmon (which I had) very tasty, omelettes or pancakes tea or coffee pots, fresh orange juice and toast, phew you will not go hungry here. Only down side for us was the early breakfast was served between 7-8.30am wish it could be a little later as we had to get up at 7.30 on our days off!! But overall a small sacrifice for a comfortable stay in such a spotless comfortable room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank valraine
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed at the Tudor Cottage for two nights in connection with my daughters graduation. This was my second stay at the Tudor Cottage and Lucia and Ralph recognised me immediately even though I hadn't been back for 4 1/2 months. Excellent breakfast, excellent rooms, excellent attitude, very friendly and generous. Before leaving on my long drive back to Luxembourg I was given an extra coffe with a danish pastry in the garden together with their family. A very nice farewell indeed.
I can warmly recommend Tudor Cottage to anyone.
Rgrds,
Henrik

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Henrik534
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in beautiful ground floor room with king size bed including 2 lounge chairs with a walk in shower. This was a well appointed and spotlessly clean room with sunshine streaming in through bay windows. There is off street parking and a bus stop nearby, so it's only a 5 min £2 trip to city centre with great shopping and easy walk to see all the colleges. The morning breakfast was beautifully served in breakfast room and cooked to order and was the best we have had so far. This is a beautiful B & B and I would highly recommend this property and the friendly service we were shown was exceptional.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Elaine C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I was fooled by the good reviews here and booked a single room to stay for two nights. If there was no bad review about the hostess' attitude, I would have almost called her a racist and ageist. I am an Asian and a solo traveller, among all B&Bs I stayed in the UK I can say that it was one of my worst experiences.

First of all, I arrived on time for check-in, nobody was at the cottage, no note, door firmly locked. After waiting for 10 minutes outside, finally she arrived but she didn't even say 'sorry'. It could have been a bad day for her, I thought, but no, it was her natural attitude. During the breakfast she told me off because I was having my English breakfast with cereal - sorry, I did not pay to be told how I should eat my breakfast. There was also no towel when I arrived. As I carried my own towel, I decided not to bother them with it, but it was stupid of me if I had known that later she would treat me as a thief!

Especially having seen her being friendly towards other elderly guests, she almost made me feel discriminated and her attitude was certainly unpleasant and rude. So, the conclusion...
if you are a foreigner, solo traveller, and relatively young, DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo