“Shocking!”

Hotel du Vin Cambridge
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
“Shocking!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

We were paying £245 for a room that housed (in the bathroom) an extractor from the kitchen that sounded like a jet engine. The last visit from the manager was at 2.45am when we were told it would take another 20 minutes to shut off! Absolutely unbelievable that anyone should be allocated this room, let alone pay £245 for the privilege! The hotel was full, so at 2.45am the manager offered to move us.... to a different hotel!! They halved the bill, but really, why would one pay £122.50 to NOT sleep? Just dreadful, and left an extremely bad taste in my mouth. The other issues with the room were the bathroom extractor fan that wouldn't turn off - we asked for this to be done and it was, however the noise of the fan was cunningly disguising the noise of Heathrow Terminal 5 coming from the cupboard. Also other extractors outside the window, which were supposed to be turned off at 11 but didn't stop until after midnight. Really, the worst possible way to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary. Thanks very much Hotel du Vin.

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank iloveharpy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Cambridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

This place was a revelation when it first came to Cambridge which was not renowned for its selection of decent hotels. It is a nice place, rooms on the small side but that is something that is peculiar to Cambridge. decent cellar bar and the cigar shack is a quirky touch though pity the guests who are placed next to it...

I stayed there in September for a night and I was really struck by how patchy the service was. You expect it to be great for the price but I was left with a definite sensation that the guests were in the way. This is a shame as HdV should be nothing short of awesome, particularly now there are a few more nice small hotels in the town to choose from.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank LateBookMark
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Booked this hotel last minute and it was pretty pricey on a saturday night - over £150. The room was ok, clean, but nothing special and pretty small. The bathroom had faulty underfloor heating, which was far too hot. We didn't bother complaining about this as we only there one night and going out.

Then at breakfast we asked whether the cooked breakfast was included with our room and were told it wasn't and would £29 for the two of us (despite what we'd already paid) so we opted for the buffet instead. On check out we were then astonished to discover that they wanted to charge us an extra £25 for just the buffet breakfast, despite being told it was included.

We argued the toss and we were told a bare faced lie by the man who served breakfast - claiming he hadnt even spoken to us.

Eventually they relented, but it was only one member of staff, who made out she was doing us a favour. Felt very agrieved by this, especially having been treated so rudely - is not the customer always right? But we put all this aside and enjoyed Cambridge.

A few days later I received a receipt for a mini bar bill of 2 cans of diet coke and 2 cans of red bull, which we never even took (especially the latter - we wouldn't touch the stuff).

So even after we'd left this place they still manged to get extra money out of us. We didn't even bother disputing it, just promised to never go somewhere like this again. And I'd advise anyone not to bother, unless you want to have the feeling of being ripped for the whole duration of your stay. Go somewhere cheaper, friendlier, more authentic.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank W A
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I have stayed here a few times as I have reason to be in Cambridge. I am always amazed by the fact that when you get there, it's (mostly) great - wonderful rooms, ambience, quiet etc but I think they have a staffing problem. So there is no appreciation of the return booker, no discounts/allowances if you are familiar - and a general level of impersonality/rudeness I don't enjoy when paying these prices. I would say they know that in Cambridge, they have you captive....and act accordingly.

Hotel du Vin needs to wake up. I had a Cambridge graduate with a First showing me to my room - he was amazing. I don't expect (or want) that - but I do expect better - personal- service. If I book again, it will be reluctantly. But it does the trick if you dont care about the cost.

Room Tip: Make sure the person you book with speaks decent English ! HushHeath amazing.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

This is a good quality hotel in the centre of Cambridge across the street from the Fitzwilliam Museum. It is a higgledy-piggledy collection of various characterful buildings that have been joined together to form the hotel. I was given a room on the top floor in what must have been formerly the attic storey. Indeed if I was not shown to my room I would have had problems finding it and got lost returning to it more than once. The room itself was of a good size apart from the bathroom which was a little cramped. Decor was minimalistic but tasteful and the solid wooden furniture was well chosen and attractive. The emphasis was on comfort (extra large bed, fluffy towels, luxurious bathroom products, Nespresso coffee machine). My only real complaint with the room was the small-screened TV and the surprisingly poor quality toilet paper. Additionally there was a certain amount of noise at night with a swinging door loudly banging in the corridor outside and incessant knocking at my neighbour's door. Breakfast was a delight. There was plenty of choice and my full English was cooked to order, something of a rarity nowadays. Despite the high standards, there is no getting around the fact that the Hotel du Vin is expensive, approaching London prices, but perhaps this is true of all accommodation in Cambridge. However, the great advantage of this hotel was its location; everything in the town (sights, shops, university colleges, ect.) is within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnL63
Hertford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

I really liked this hotel and enjoyed my stay here. We had booked the valet parking and the service was prompt on our arrival. We were shown to our room by a member of the reception staff, which I thought was a very nice touch. I was impressed by the size of our room and the bed was very comfortable. As with most boutique hotels the lighting was rather dim and I found putting on make up and styling my hair in the room a bit difficult although the magnifying mirror in the bathroom was a useful addition. One small complaint that I do have about the room are the tea bags, which in my opinion are very poor quality resulting in a pretty nasty cup of tea. However, I was impressed by the coffee machine in the room. The bar was very nice, lots of comfortable seating and a very knowledgable bar man. We also ate in the bistro and I was very impresssed with the food, which was the set menu.
I would most definately consider staying here again, it is a tad expensive but worth it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Cambridgeshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

A return after 9 months and an excellent time. It stands comparison to any boutique hotel in Europe.

Breakfast is expensive but a available at Browns next door at half the price

• Stayed October 2011