“Overrated and very disappointing!”

Hotel du Vin Cambridge
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Vancouver, Canada
“Overrated and very disappointing!”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We were greeted nicely although it was Friday at 3 PM and they only had a small woman to escort us to our room. She tried to help us with our luggage but it was really too heavy for her and we ended up having to carry it on our own. Spacious room with air conditioning that marginally worked. Poorly lit bathroom to the point that it was very difficult to see what I was doing when shaving. Room was mostly clean but could have used better vacuuming. Hallways in the hotel had tired carpets and the small elevator had a distinctly unpleasant, almost rotten smell. Arrived back to the room on the second day, after being out from 10 AM to 4 PM. The room had not been serviced.
Very overpriced. About 265 Pounds per night. Criminal really! Overpriced and poor quality breakfast with a terribly over salted egg white omelet. We also treated ourselves and guests to dinner in their acclaimed Bistro du Vin. Mediocre would be a generous term for every single appetizer and main course produced except for one chicken dish.
At check out time, they were efficient in taking my money but noticeably neglected to ask me how my stay was, or whether I needed help with my luggage. We moved our own luggage again.
Overall, a completely lack lustre stay. I feel cheated. I would never consider staying at a Hotel du Vin again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank David S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Trumpington Street seems to have less traffic than many other streets. The hotel is located directly opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum, walking distance from the city centre, Grantchester Meadows and The Backs.
Quite expensive but with a comfortable feel to it. The staff are friendly and helpful without being intrusive.
Very nice breakfast available from the Bistro........ no need for any of the cooked options (at additional cost). Other reviews prompted us to eat elsewhere in the evening.

Room Tip: A room overlooking Trumpington Street might be a good idea; but cannot be sure as ours was at the ba...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fellwalker2011
Rural Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

I booked afternoon tea here as a birthday treat for my mum. The receptionist assured me tea would be served in the library, menus on Internet sounded perfect, and with Hotel du Vins great reputation...what could go wrong?

Quite a lot as it turns out. When we arrived amongst immense confusion about who we were and whether we had booked, we were told the library was being used for a 'function' and were taken downstairs to the cellar bar by a surly waiter, where a low ( knee height) table was prepared. It was 30 degrees, and gorgeous sunshine outside, but instead we were in a poky hole, in almost darkness, and then left there. On complaining I was told we could have tea on the terrace instead. Better I hoped, at least we could enjoy tea sat at a proper table in the sun. The terrace turned out to be the staff smoking area, and we arrived outside to find tables covered in overflowing ashtrays and empty fag packets scattered around. Great! I was not impressed. The waiter offered me olives and pistachio nuts to compensate in some way, but as we had booked afternoon tea seemed just a bit strange.

The afternoon tea itself was ok. Good earl gray and lovely warm scones, but the egg sandwiches were very overseasoned, and the cakes just bit meh (chocolate brownie with big lumps of banana in it, or tartlets containing some unidentfiably bland fruit purée?). I have eaten much better elsewhere and at £21.50 it did not represent value for money in any way. The service was poor, there was simply no-one around to ask for more hot water, my mums glass of water never arrived, and we waited an age for our bill, to be told to go inside and pay as the card machine didn't work outside.

A truly disappointing experience.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank CambsCountryGirl
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Trying to find a hotel in Cambridge without paying a hefty price isn't easy. This place is pricey, but one of my favorite options in town. The restaurant attached is wonderful, the bar downstairs is charming and I love that it is an easy walk into central Cambridge, but just outside the hustle and bustle. The rooms are also very comfortable. My only suggestion is that the place needs a bit of freshening--you can tell many travelers have stayed here by the scuffed baseboards, the worn carpet etc.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank alittlereckless
Preston
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Great location and nice hotel. The bar downstairs has a really nice feel to it and the bistro was good. Young but very friendly staff. Valet parking is expensive at £18 but it is free to park outside the hotel between 6.30 pm and 8.30am

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My husband had booked dinner for my birthday & anniversary.......gifted me a diamond bracelet & then the food. Cold soup, rubber lobster, cold fries (which were probably from Iceland)......I could go on. I had to take the fries to the 3 girls yacking at the desk....they weren't vaguely interested - not even potato. I didn't make a fuss as my husband had made such an effort.
I have called the restaurant & head office several times - my phone is strangely silent.
The sommelier was best used to opening water - she didn't have a clue.
Not a recommendation. My local in Glasgow was 1 Devonshire, and my local in Edinburgh was Leith. Cambs has missed the mark.

Room Tip: We only had dinner
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Elaine L
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Having stayed at hotels in this group many times I was disappointed to find the Hotel Du Vin didnt come up to expectations. Our room was dark and looked out onto the rear wall of the building, nothing nice about that. The bathroom was spacious but I realised this was due to it being a room for disabled guests, although quite how a disabled person would negotiate the steps and narrow corridors is beyond me.

We booked a twin room and it was next door to the cleaners' cupboard so we were woken very early by them clattering around. Not only that, but throughout the night we could hear a continuous buzzing from an air conditioning unit or something, not in our room itself but too close for comfort.

Breakfast was mediocre and in a breakfast room open to the public, with reps at the next table entertaining clients to video footage on their laptops of their sales products, quite disruptive really.

For the price we paid for this room we expected better. When we complained at reception we were given details of who to contact, which we did. Obviously their customer service leaves a lot to be desired as in response to our e mail someone rang but we were not available and despite saying they would ring again we are still waiting after several weeks, hence the reason for this late review to give Hotel du Vin time to rectify the problems. They are not bothered it seems so we will stay elsewhere on our next visit to Cambridge.

Room Tip: Insist on one away from the cleaners cupboard!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends