“Great hotel, great location”

Hotel du Vin Cambridge
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Our f irst stop from Heathrow, Cambridge was a great place to decompress for a few days, and the hotel was perfect . The property is located on an easy access road to/from Cambridge, yet centrally located for walking about the town, the colleges and " the backs", across from a great museum and near fine restaurants and pubs. Our room was in the back building, a small courtyard away from the main building, quiet, but convenient to the hotel... didn't eat in the restaurant, but the bar, with its snugs was very cozy and staff was very attentive. We needed a UK electric plug , and staff was right there. Staff made us feel we were welcome guests, and not just another customer.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear building are quiet, yet a few steps from the main building
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Douglas Y, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your positive review of the hotel and our staff. As a smaller boutique property the focus of our staff should always be on our guests’ needs and being able to treat each request on an individual basis is key to the service we hope to offer and I am pleased that this is how you found your experience.

I hope that we will see you at the hotel in the future and perhaps this time we will be able to encourage you to try our bistro also?

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed here for one night for a short break. Booked a standard room which was quite small but very clean and had everything you could wish for. The view was across the back which wasn't too inspiring and we had the noise from some kind of fan outside all night. Coffee machine is a nice touch although seemed to dispense lukewarm coffee only. Have stayed in a number of Du Vins so we were preapred for the fact that you don't get biscuits or water free - but its still annoying!!
Spent a pleasant evening in the bar, which is lovely - loads of little rooms like caves! Had some good cocktails and very acceptable bar food.
Really didn't want to pay £18 for parking, but couldn't find anywhere else so had little choice. It's valet parking which is nice, but unfortunately when our car was returned to us in the morning it was parked in a space reserved for disabled drivers, we were just getting in to move it as we really don't agree with non-disabled drivers using these spaces, when we very nearly got a ticket from the passing traffic warden.
Didn't eat breakfast at the hotel as previous experience has shown that it is very expensive for what you get, so had a nice walk round Cambridge and a very acceptabel breakfast at Carluccios.
A really pleasant stay with very helpful staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TommoHarrogate

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed our cellar bar and thank you for your positive comments regarding the standard of service from the staff, I shall be sure to share these with the team. Car parking is traditionally a challenge in Cambridge and we hope by offering a valet parking service this is seen as an additional benefit to our guests. I am sorry that you found the room to be noisy and lacking of views, with our city centre location and with the surrounding properties we do all we can to ensure our rooms are quite but can I suggest next time you book to contact the hotel directly and we can arrange a quieter room to be allocated to you, perhaps toward the front of the hotel where the view is over Trumpington street?

Thank you again for your review and I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel to enjoy the bar again soon!

Regards

Reviewed 22 October 2013

What a joy to open the mini-bar (called in du Vin-speak the 'bar privee') and find real milk in the fridge! So you can have a real cup of tea first thing in the morning, unpolluted by UHT. It's just one mark of a very civilised hotel, one which manages to escape the corporate plasticity of the chains. And it is right there in the centre of Cambridge, so you can fall out of bed and straight into the Fitzwilliam Museum, or King's College or wherever you want to go. Best of course to get dressed first.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Douglas Y, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, it can sometimes be the small details that can make such a difference to a guests' stay. We are certainly fortunate with our central location and being able to stroll across the road to the Fitzwilliam - when time permits -is a great pleasure, but I haven't yet tried it in my pyjamas!

I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, and thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 18 October 2013

20 minutes before we received a drink. One main course sent back because salmon was uncooked/cold. New meal arrived 15 minutes later, long after rest of the party had finished eating. Coffees arrived before dessert. Sulky behaviour from staff when I asked for the service charge to be taken off the bill. A polite letter of complaint to the General Manager remains unanswered. All in all, not worthy of the Hotel du Vin name

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Steve O
Douglas Y, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking your time to post a review of your dining experience with us at the hotel. I was most disappointed to read of the issues you faced that evening and for these I can only apologise, clearly this is not the standard of service we hope to offer in our bistro.

I must admit that I am not in receipt of the letter you have sent and wonder perhaps if you would mind emailing me your initial letter directly, I assure you we take all feedback very seriously and I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you directly. My email address is douglas.yiend@hotelduvin.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Dined here with a few friends a couple of weeks ago. The food was amazing. Service could have been a bit better for the area/price. Overall an excellent experience and good value for money. Private dining room expereince was well worth it. Would definitely recommend it if you are in town.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vik S
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The staff are amazing could not do enough to help me, My room with twin baths and a huge flat screen was outstanding! the service in the bar and restaurant was outstanding. The menu is varied and very good. The atmosphere in the bar is amazing with free nibbles and brilliant choice of wines and real ale. I have stayed here on 4 different occasions each time being better then the last. Can not recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jennyexford
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay in this hotel. We were in Cambridge as my husband was on a "Virtual Aviation" experience at nearby Cambridge airport and this entitled us to a 10% discount at this hotel. The building is beautiful and, we were told, dates back several hundred years. It is quirky and a bit dark but I think that adds to its charm. The cellar bar is absolutely gorgeous with lots of tiny rooms and big squashy sofas. We stayed in the Cinema Suite which is in the basement. It was beautiful - there was a roll top bath as soon as you entered the room, as well as a shower room with a really powerful shower. The "cinema" aspect of the room is a tiny room of the main bedroom with a big tv and DVD player and 2 comfy chairs. We didn't actually make use of this as it didn't have any films we fancied (bring your own DVDs if you choose this room). The bed was huge and exceptionally comfortable and there is a small terrace. The room is pretty dark but it is very cosy. The location is great too - about a 10 minute stroll to the city centre. I don't have anything negative to say about this hotel except that it doesn't provide slippers, only robes!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple