“Nice hotel but overpriced”

Hotel du Vin Cambridge
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but overpriced”
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel because I was attending a surprise birthday party at Browns which is about 100m away.

I stayed for one night in a smart, although small room. Heating control was a bit hit and miss unfortunately.

A couple of drinks from the mini bar and valet parking and my bill, without breakfast, was over £240. Nice hotel
but overpriced.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank grazie1000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Avoid the Tatinger room! It's right next to a very noisy extractor fan unit from the restaurant and will keep you awake for most of the night. I'm told the Louis Jadot room has the same problem and I imagine there may be more.

We mentioned this during checkout. The receptions staff clearly knew what we were talking about but were reluctant to discuss it any further. We paid 245 GBP / 300 Euro and for that kind of money I expect a more professional approach for dealing with unsatisfied customers.

The room itself was small, but clean. The staff was otherwise friendly and helpful. We will be visiting Cambridge on a regular basis and would consider this hotel again if the staff would have given us any indication that this problem could be avoided in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid Tatinger and Louis Jadot (extractor fan noise).
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bart M
Grantham, Lincs
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed as a part of a group of 4 to visit Cambridge for the weekend. We arived mid morning on the Saturday and from the out set nothing was to much trouble for the staff. The staff stored our bags and took our car as we had booked valet parking; infact one room was ready on our arrival. We headed into Cambridge to take one of the walking tours from the tourist information office. On out return to the hotel our bags were in our room. The room was nicely decorated with an excellent bathroom. Having gone out for a meal to Cote Brasserie we returned for a drink in the cellar bar. What a gem of a bar and a lovelysetting with comfortable sofas and the staff keen to help us with our requests. After a great sleep on the comfortable beds we arose for a late breakfast. We had contiential breakfast booked with the room and decided to upgrade to the full breakfast menu; again the staff were very helpful, efficient and friendly, Having booked out we left our bags with the hotel staff and headed out to explore more of the delights that Cambridge has to offer including a guided punt on the River Cam. On our return our cars were brought back to the hotel and our bags loaded for us. This was an excellent weekend stay. The hotel staff were helpful, friendly and could not have done more to make stay any better than it was. The hotel was close to all of the attractions of central Cambridge so it made an ideal base. This was our second visit and will definitely be back again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This hotel and restaurant are chic and ideally located. Sadly, the room I stayed in was at the front of the hotel and therefore the noise from the street was a BIG problem both late at night and early in the morning. If you are staying there I would recommend a room on the garden side of the hotel, especially if it is a Thursday, as the bottle bins are emptied very early on Friday morning. I usually can sleep through pretty much anything, but two bottle bins being emptied right outside your window.....!
The food and wine in the restaurant is excellent and the service in the hotel is also good.
Would I return? I am not sure; sadly it was a lot of money for very little sleep.

Room Tip: Pick a room garden side, the street side is very noisy
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Charlotte999999
Douglas Y, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cambridge, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. First I must apologise for the noise that disturbed you. Whilst it is necessary for our bottle bins to be emptied, this should not be done at such an early time and I am speaking with our waste company to establish why this was done so early during your stay.

Thank you for your comments regarding the rest of the hotel and I hope that these aspects can persuade you to stay with us again, please ensure you contact the hotel directly and we can arrange a more suitable room towards to rear of the hotel.

I hope we shall see you at the hotel again in the future.

Regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Went for dinner having been to the restaurant before and enjoyed it. Apparently there had been a new chef and our meal (simple three courses) took 3 hours from start to finish. The food was great, but it was just too slow.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arthur C
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the hotel. We do indeed have a new chef, but this is no reason for the food service to be slow. I can assure you that with the new kitchen team in place we are working hard to improve the speed whilst not compromising the quality we are serving. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the food, and I hope that on your next visit you will see a great improvement on the speed of service also.

Thank you again for your review of our bistro.

Regards
UK
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

A lovely hotel in a brilliant location. We booked a suite as a treat and are glad we did. The room was spacious, extremely clean and well set out although, as many hotels seem to be, was a little dark and was difficult to do make up etc. without standing close to a lamp. Unfortunately our room had a dripping shower which was rather irritating through the night but presumably this would be mended for future guests.
The air conditioning unit was noisy but very useful and definitely necessary!
The restaurant quality did not match the hotel. The food was delicious but the service was slow unfortunately.

The main lure of the hotel has to be the location, within walking distance from everything you could want to see.

• Stayed October 2013
Douglas Y, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cambridge, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for you recent review, and I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel overall especially our suites and I can only apologise for the dripping shower, I have shared your comments with our maintenance team and this has now been rectified. I am sorry that you found the service to be slow in the bistro, and can assure you we are working closely with our bistro team to improve this. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the quality of the food and I shall be sure to pass these on to our Head chef however it is vital that the speed of service matches this quality as this is all part of the experience of enjoying our bistro.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and I do hope you will consider staying with us again on your next visit to Cambridge.

With Kind Regards

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

This is perfectly situated for seeing Cambridge. The hotel is extremely comfortable and we had a superior room which was very spacious. There seemed to be quite a lot of young inexperienced staff particularly in the restaurant and there was a slight air of chaos; we waited 40 minutes for breakfast. Ask for a room at the back since the hotel sits on a main road.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank edward b
Douglas Y, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cambridge, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am pleased that you found the hotel comfortable and in a great location but I would like to apologise for the standard of service you received at breakfast. I have discussed this with our bistro manager to ensure that standards and procedures are being implemented to improve the breakfast service.

Thank you for your constructive feedback as it is only by receiving such comments that we can hope to improve the service we offer and I am confident that on your next visit you will see a marked improvement in the breakfast service.

With Kind Regards