“Very comfortable, decent value”

Hotel du Vin Cambridge
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable, decent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed here for one night while my son was visiting the University for an Open Day.

The hotel was pretty helpful ahead of time about room reservations as we needed a twin and they don't have too many of those.

Nice welcome, all staff very friendly and helpful (we managed to leave our phone chargers behind, called them up and they were mailed to us within a couple of days for no charge, for example).

Room was comfortable and a good size - bathroom also generously proportioned and recently updated with drencher shower and regular one for those who don't like to get too wet.

Only ate breakfast there but that was nice -- and my parents have dined in the restaurant and were impressed so apparently the food is good, too.

Pretty much on the doorstep if you are visiting the Fitzwilliam Museum and no more than five minutes walk to 'historic' Cambridge sights like King's Parade, Silver Street Bridge and so on.

Oh, and free Wifi.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We paid top price for the allegedly best suite at Hotel du Vin,Cambridge.This suite is very dark, completely inadequate lighting, as stated it is in the basement with a garden terrace.The garden terrace is very small and overlooked by outside seating on the ground floor, so no privacy there.The actual bedroom is small, with the cinema room, a very small space down several steps and in the barrel of an old wine cellar. The entrance to the suite is through the door straight into the entranceway , where they have plonked the roll top bath and wardrobe. The layout is very strange and not at all appealing. To the side of the bath area is the toilet and shower room. One plus point, the shower is exceptionally powerful.
I found it very difficult to do basic things like blow dry my hair or do my makeup in the bedroom, as the lighting was so low level, The bed was very comfortable,with great pillows.
The suite also has a Nespresso machine and a fridge with tea and coffee making facilities, but the milk in the fridge had gone off! and we had to call down for more.
Hotel du Vin are not the force to be reckoned with that they once were, cool, groovy and chic, you've lost the edge.

Room Tip: Do not have a basement room, very dark and not attractive.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LADYRAWDON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We chose Hotel du Vin. because my partner used to stay at the one in Bristol occasionally. Unfortunately, since the chain was sold by the original founder, it has definitely gone downhill. The staff were all lovely and very helpful and our room was well equipped with a comfortable bed. However, the hotel is in dire need of re-decorating. Attempts have been made to do this in places, but obviously by an amateur decorator or member of staff! The plumbing was incredibly noisy and woke me up several times during the night. What I also find galling, is that breakfast is not included in the already high price, so we ended up going to a nearby coffee shop.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter F
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were attending our sons graduation and this magnificent made the occasion so special. The staff were attentive without being overbearing, the room (Pommery) was excellent - a real treat and the food was superb with no request too much. I would like to personally thank the hotel manager and all of the restaurant and bar staff. They were great - a big thanks to Alec and Debbie who looked after us all the time we were there. Just one tiny bit of feedback - put a chest of drawers in the room to increase the clothing storage space. Apart from that - no change necessary; keep up the good work!!

Room Tip: If you stay in the Pommery room, there's a little bit of noise from the room above however the s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We only ate at the Bistro (did not stay in the hotel). It was not what I would normally have called a Bistro as it was quite formal (with a sommelier etc.).

The food was nice but took a while to turn up and my portion was quite small (my husband's burger was more substantial). There was an extensive wine list but quite expensive.

We went down to the bar in the basement for coffee and desert and this was more cosy and fun. Also my crème brulee was very good - as was the coffee.

I havered between a three and a four star for this review - decided on a four but for me personally I would have stuck with the bar downstairs and passed on the restaurant part.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Having read some of the reviews on tripadvisor about the food in the restaurant, I was worried that we would be let down.

However, we were pleasantly surprised in all aspects. First of all, I really cannot understand people complaining about the rooms. The rooms are spacious (even the standard category), clean, stylish and offer super high quality furnishings. To make my point again - I have rarely seen such good furnishings in a four star hotel. The hotel's interior design is a lovely mixture of old and new and perfectly blends with the rest of Cambridge. The bathroom had a great shower, was clean and had underfloor heating. The toiletries were of high quality.

Every room has a Nespresso machine. The hotel is quiet and you can catch a good night's sleep. The mattress and bedding was great.

With respect to the restaurant, I really, really do not understand the reviews. I am not easy to please, especially when I have to pay a bit of money and since I really travel around the world and frequent good restaurants a lot. Nonetheless, the Bistro has very attentive and professional waiters, a great wine list at really appropriate prices and great food.

The fish as well as meat dishes that our table of four ordered were excellent. The one big criticism I have - and it is a big one: your desserts are NOT homemade - at least not the ones we ordered. That was a really big let down of an otherwise very good meal.

The bar downstairs had a great barkeeper, who knew his stuff. The atmosphere was equally good - it was busy, but not too busy despite the late hours on a Sunday night.

Whilst a middle-aged gentleman was super professional at reception and really helpful and polite, his very young colleagues from the weekened reception shift need a bit more training. They were not impolite, but terribly unpolished and acted as if they were wandering around in a daze.

Overall, Hotel du Vin has a top location in Cambridge - quiet, yet central and scenic and offers greatly furnished rooms with a good restaurant and bar! We shall come back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Critical_Mind
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I am only reviewing the bistro, not the hotel. I had the lamb rump with chorizo potato. The lamb tasted good but was just too chewy. It sounds trite but when it's £20 you just expect a better cut. The ambiance was nice and the staff attentive but the whole meal felt overpriced as my wife and I and my pay son, just back from Uni went through over £80. We had no alcohol. £4 for a cappuccino, really?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family