“Good hotel”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Switzerland
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

A nice hotel in the center of Cambridge. The hotel is located on the city's main street. The rooms were clean, modern and normal sized. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was very good! The drinks were also good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sagsdgb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I booked to stay at The Hotel Du Vin Cambridge for my partners birthday on the 28th July 2014 & we very much enjoyed our visit from start to finish. I booked a studio suite with the full breakfast, a few weeks before our arrival I had emailed the reception and requested a suite with a nice view & also mentioned that it we would be celebrating my partners birthday. I received a quick response from them advising they had allocated us a suite overlooking the road which had plenty of light & they had done just that! We opted to do the valet parking just to save any hassle and glad that we did as it was very smooth & stress free. We arrived at 1pm and our room was ready (check in usually 3pm). Check in was quick & the very professional gentleman on the reception showed us to our room & wished my partner a happy birthday, It's little personal things like that which makes a hotel stand out! The service that we received from all the staff was excellent. The suite we stayed in was the 'Geoff Meril suite' which we had no complaints with.. The room was lovely & bright, we didn't hear any noise from any of the other guests, it had lovely black out curtains & the bed was very comfy. The hotel itself is in a perfect location, only a short stroll from the museum ect. We chose to eat out in Cambridge but we did stay if we were to return we would eat in the Bistro as it is lovely. We had breakfast the following morning & we felt personally that there was plenty of choice! Upon check out they offered to take our suitcases whilst we explored Cambridge that little bit more. Once we returned we waited in the lovely library area until our car was ready. I would definitely recommend this hotel, it ticked all the boxes! A special thank you to the gentleman on reception unfortunately I didn't get his name, he made us feel very welcome from start to finish. I've seen a few reviews on here regarding the price of the rooms.. A little tip from a travel industry professional...the earlier you book the better the price!

Thank you for a lovely stay!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank travelloveexplore
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

A frustrating hotel. The location's good. The front desk team are welcoming and helpful. The 'library' is a lovely place to relax. The bar is a fab space in the cellars. The bathroom in our room was great. ‎

But... the room itself was mediocre: not huge, with noisy generators outside the window, with furniture that slightly showed its age - and no drawers to store clothes. Maintenance was sloppy - four broken lightbulbs equals "don't care". Stocks in the room - ‎coffee, toiletries - weren't replenished. Service at breakfast and in the bar veered from friendly to inept to downright distant.

If it was a cheaper place, and I hadn't enjoyed stays in other hotels in the chain, I would have had lower expectations and focused more on the many good points. But this really wasn't good enough for the expensive price, by any stretch. I wouldn't stay again. It always says a lot when the staff don't bother asking if you had a nice stay when you check out - not interested in, or fearing, the response. But I guess in central Cambridge they can charge what they like without too much effort and get away with it...

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank JCW
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Wow. I love this place. I stayed with my wife and we both agreed this was a wonderful experience. The staff were warm, friendly and inviting. The greeting / reception staff were extremely helpful and well informed and provided us with a print out of all the recommended restaurants which we were assured at least one member the hotel team had been in recent months and reviewed personally.

The room was lovely and clean with a great bed and better air conditioning! The bar and bistro were lovely and cozy and although we did not try this, there are areas where you and a small number of guests can enjoy an almost private dining experience.

The location is BRILLIANT - 8 mins walk from Kings College and 15mins leisurely walk to the punts through the centre of Cambridge. With Valet parking (which you do have to pay extra for) you can leave the car and forget all about it as everywhere of interest is within walking distance.

Overall a wonderful experience and wonderful hotel. I will be going back again....

Room Tip: If you can - go for the suite. Not saying the rooms are bad as they are most definitely not, but it...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AbuDhabiBurns
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I am staying here at the moment and have paid a lot of money for this stay. We are in the Pomery suite in the basement. Good points- massive tv, BOSE sound system, good bathroom, great shower, feature well in room, good bed, nice decor.
Bad- too dark, bulb above wardrobe doesn't work so can't see, floor lamp not working, terrace overlooked by bistro/ bar outdoor seating, can hear bumps and bangs from above.
Staff very helpful. Bar good. Restaurant- hmm- here we go.. Ordered the steak frites from the Al Fresco menu which is described as a rump steak. What actually turned up was a minute steak rolled up pretending to be a rump. We sent it back as it was not as described and ordered the rib eye instead. That was really good.
Our second night we have to move rooms so this report is to be continued...it's 05:46 at the moment so I will do another tomorrow.
Oh- almost forgot- the wifi is a pain cause I have to keep logging in. Even McDonalds have auto recognition wifi...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 31 July 2014

If there was a good between average and very good...I'd have done that.
Stayed here with my wife and 3 year old for a wedding. Nice clean room, saved our lives in the hot weather with excellent air-con. The bathroom was big and down some steps. All very comfortable.
The staff were helpful and very considerate, and it was only an 8 minute walk to the start of the central shopping area. I would say though, that it is over-priced. Nearly £600 for 2 nights. They charged us for an extra bed in the room for each night (just makes the room very cramped) and also £18 per day for parking. If it's on business, fill your boots, but unless you have loads of cash, I think there are other cheaper but decent places.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I'm a huge fan of HDV and Cambridge has lived up to the superb reputation of this excellent boutique chain of hotels. Two adults and a three old year in my party, we were looked after superbly from the complimentary room upgrade to small but sensitive touches in the restaurant. They even swapped my daughters main course just because she didn't like it, entirely free of charge. Not the cheapest but definitely the best value for money and definitely proof that what you get is what you pay for! Congratulations HDV you've done it again 5***** all the way! We'll be back.

Stayed July 2014