“Great Hotel, Super Food, but Personality-Free Staff”

Hotel du Vin Cambridge
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Super Food, but Personality-Free Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

A two night city break in Cambridge - primarily to see Regina Spektor at the Corn Exchange - brought us to the Hotel du Vin. Cambridge by the way is excellent, I can't believe I'd never been before, and on a hot weekend in July it was a lovely city to stroll around - albeit that we had to swim against the tides of tourists and massive groups of visiting students.

The Hotel du Vin was warm and inviting in most respects as expected and lived up to the chain's reputation. The meal we ate there on night two was very good with particular mention going to the Sommelier who spent a decent amount of time working out our tastes and then recommended two excellent wines which made for a very enjoyable evening!

The bedroom was perfectly lovely - we were in the Marques room - with a fantastic Monsoon shower that I could have stayed in all day and a standalone bathtub that M nearly did. Bed comfy and splendid crisp white linens.

Couple of points of minor irritation - no ipod doc and no free wifi connection which i am starting to think should be standard really for a hotel of that class - this has had an impact on value rating, also there is a DVD player in the room but when i asked if i could borrow a DVD the receptionist told me 'we can't do that anymore because of copyright law' which i thought was pants. Additionally, although no one was rude (and the restaurant staff in the evening were very lovely) the hotel staff were very anonymous - or rather we were anonymous to them. I fell down the stairs and twisted my ankle quite badly in some pretty high heels on the Saturday night - my fault not theirs - but despite the fact that it was quite obvious i was in pain (and hadn't been the day before) no one made comment or offered a seat or a word of sympathy - bit sad.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoeyRoey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

This was our first stay in a Hotel Du Vin.
The location - is ideal for a stroll into the city or alongside the river. If you are driving watch out for the giant drain running the length of Trumpington Street which could seriously damage your alloys. A short stroll will take you to the Doubletree Hilton with its riverside gardens.

The welcome - was professional and efficient. Parking is valet style which I preferred to decline, having a brand new car. For £16 they will park it for you at the hotel across the road where you can park yourself for £12. Take your pick.

The (standard) room - was well equipped and comfortable although only has one easy chair so I guess you have to take turns. The hospitality tray is well stocked with good quality tea and coffee and includes a small cafetiere. In the minibar is kept fresh milk - full marks for that. There is a large safe.

The bathroom is fine.

The restaurant and bar - good service and enjoyable food which is not memorable. We chose a wonderful Californian Syrrah. There are very few lower priced wines.

Breakfast is not overpriced unless you eat like a sparrow (my partner does) For the hungrier of us the croissants are fresh and delicious, the cold choice excellent and the cooked very good - I chose eggs benedict.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

I was expecting a quiet restaurant where the clink of your wine glass could be heard amidst the quiet whispers of conversation. I thought it would be a pretentious place where much more "posh" people would eat and be over charged for some top Cuisine dish. How wrong I was. In my tender 50 years, this could easily rate as the best Restaurant I have ever eaten in. A drink in the bar before we were called to our table. There was a buzz of conversation as we were sat on a nice table where I just happened to face the Kitchen, watching the chefs. I like that. Service was efficient, well mannered and did our waiter know his cheeses. I have never seen such a knowledgeable chap - explaining every cheese in detail before giving me a really nice selection.
The Salad starter was top drawer and my sea bass was superb. My wife and friends could not fault their steaks - done to perfection and also duck - that received praise from the harshest of critics. All in all, we would give it 9.5 out of ten (Well 10 would be perfection really) and at £50 a head including two bottles of wine - excellent value for money.

First class experience - cant wait to go back. We only ate at hotel - we did not stay there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

We have stayed with the sister chain Malmaison previously and this was our first trip to Hotel-du-Vin celebrating our 20th wedding Anniversary. Our suite was superb (Brown Brothers). There are many neat touches of style to enhance your stay. Wine from the eponymous vendor within a rack in the room itself is fun. The mini-cinema in this suite is a bonus, although we did not get chance to test it out (simply ran out of time! and there was tennis on...). This is the first hotel room where milk has been provided in the mini-bar, a GIANT leap forward from UHT pots, although I have been other places where a mere call to reception gets you fresh milk (Old Vicarage Oxford). If I had one niggle, it was that the staff were a touch slow in working out what discount was available to a CAM card holder, but it was sorted in the end, so I wont hold it against them. Breakfast here is a treat and worth taking in the hotel. Parking is very reasonable at £16 per night, I challenge anyone to do so much better in central Cambridge.

Guildford, Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

What a joy. Very helpful and friendly staff - the bar staff even remembered our drinks order from the previous night!
Gorgeous room with a bathroom nearly as big as the room - we stayed in 'Tattinger'. Comfy beds, clean, stylish and quiet.
Incredible breakfast - great buffet and the Eggs benedict with smoked salmon were delicious!
Highly recommended and would definitely visit again.

1 Thank SarahCoops
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

Clean spacious room. TV has a good selection of channels, and there are DVDs and CDs available to borrow, free of charge. Staff friendly and helpful. Bar was attractive and well priced. Great location, close to central Cambridge. Didn't eat in the restaurant due to excessive price, but looked nice, and good menu selection. (Browns restaurant a few doors down from the hotel is excellent).

Despite all it's plusses, the hotel is still somewhat overpriced. At £200 a night, at the very least free breakfast and wi-fi are expected. VERY noisy air-conditioning, gave the impression of sleeping on a cross-channel ferry. Breakfast at £14 is an absolute joke! Valet parking also somewhat pricey, at £16 a day.

Overall, would recommend the Hotel Du Vin, though would like to see more effort made to justify the price.

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

Stayed here for one night on a room only basis.

We booked via the internet and got a great room only deal which considering the wealth of nearby restaurants, cafes and patteseries gives good value for money. We also used the "valet" carparking which given the location of the hotel near the city center, means you do not have to worry about searching for secure 24 hour carparks and at £16/day is reasonable value.

We would echo most of the positve comments on here....well appointed room, professional & helpful staff and a great location for walking into the city. Our only concern was that having booked the cheapest room, we were placed in "Clos Mogador" room which aswell as being adjacent to the reception and the steps to the bar, had the unfortunate distinction of being the only room (I think) on the ground floor that fronted onto the road. This meant that traffic noise (and that of pedestrians walking by) was very evident and seriously affected the quality of sleep. I would suggest that if booking the cheapest room, make sure to ask NOT to be placed in this room unless you sleep like a log!

Of course, this is an old building and some noise is to be expected from the sash and internally galzed windows....that is after all part of the hotels charm......but best to ask for a room away from the road if possible. I would still recommend the hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple