“Best ribs ever”

Ranked #24 of 711 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$12 - US$26
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Diner
Dining options: After-hours
Description: In the heart of Cambridge we've smoked, pulled, brined and seasoned classic BBQ food and paired it with beer, bourbon & milkshakes. Delivered fast. Eat-in or take out.
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We popped in on a Monday lunchtime a few weeks ago, after the Tour de France. We shared the works with house pickles on the side. Delicious, finger-licking (and bib wearing) food with the best, juiciest, meaty ribs I've ever had. The drinks selection, decor and service were also excellent. We'll be back soon with friends.

2  Thank JennaNostyle

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed this meal. We went on a very hot day and were sat in a lovely air conditioned room downstairs.
I loved the quirky crank on the wall that you twisted if you needed anything. The waitresses were really nice and friendly.
I had the BBQ pork ribs and my partner had the pulled pork bun. I loved the sauces at the table, they went beautifully with the fries. My partner loved the slaw in his bun.
All in all, great BBQ in a cool atmosphere. Will definitely visit again!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We ate here today, having read rave reviews on a local foodie blog. We certainly weren't disappointed - the food was incredible! Not a great venue for a vegetarian - I think there is one veggie option and otherwise just side dishes - but the menu was otherwise very appealing, short but perfectly formed. The base of the menu was either pulled beef or pulled pork, ribs, or chicken wings, and each was offered cooked in perhaps a couple of different ways. Between the three of us we sampled a high proportion of the menu, and agreed that the pulled beef, particularly when served simply on toast, was simply out of this earth. Coming in at £5, with £2 for fries, you can eat here incredibly cheaply, although be warned that portions are not large.

The decor is very striking, with a strong logo, branded merchandise available already, and a bold grey and orange colour scheme. With thick solid wooden tables and burnished aluminium exposed piping, it is very industrial and quiet dark even upstairs, so not somewhere you are encouraged to linger. To that end, each table has a large dial which when turned summons the waiting staff, and the food was ready very quickly - the virtue of a small menu, I suspect. Equally, the bill was offered almost minutes after we finished eating, but then the tables were rarely empty for long.

I am gluten-free, and all the staff, but particularly the chef, really went of their way to offer assistance, and make adaptations where possible. I was really impressed with their willingness to make accommodations for me, and the end result was lovely!

Perhaps not the place to go on a first date - the food is impossible to eat except with your hands, and the juices drip down your arms and stain your face! Well worth it though. My only suggestion to the restaurant? Provide bigger wet wipes!

1  Thank Oxcat1
Reviewed 11 July 2014

So good I've already been back....twice!

Everything about about the place is really fun, the industrial style décor, the 'push the button' to order system, wine coming out in jugs, even the toilets are cool!! The place just has a great vibe to it!

The Pork Scrumpets are deelish, the ribs are incredible as are the pulled beef buns! Accompanied by the Chipotle sauce!
Love that they have specialised in Bourbon Whiskies....yet to make a dent in the list.
But by far my favourite are the Milkshakes!! They are ridiculously good, Salted Caramel is a must!

I would definitely recommend a visit :)

2  Thank Charbe11e5
Reviewed 10 July 2014

A group of ten of us went to the Smokeworks this evening and overall had a really good time.

On getting to the restaurant, the waiter told us that they wouldn't have a table ready for our group size for 45 minutes and offered to text us when the table became free. I feel this is probably why restaurants have booking systems, but it wasn't too bad since we just ventured to one of the local pubs while waiting.

Upon return we were led down into the basement complete with metal ceiling that stimulated much discussion around a solid wooden bar table in the centre of the room. It was pretty cool and had a really nice atmosphere around us.

Highlight of the meal for me was definitely the rather expensive, yet delicious bourbon milkshake which we established was definitely worth paying extra for the bourbon. The ribs in my view were pretty good, they had a distinct smoky flavour throughout, they were succulent and had pleasant bbq sauce without being too salty or sweet. They're not the best ribs I've ever had and I feel that perhaps £12 is a tad expensive when it doesn't come with fries or sides, but they do have a good amount of meat on them. To really be special I'd have liked the outside to be crisp and more caramelised. The chips were good, significantly better than pub chips, not gourmet standard and the sweet potato chips were excellent.

In future I'd love to see more choice and some improved sauces, the hot sauce was a rubbish and had very little flavour beyond the heat. Some good American restaurants do excellent chilli jams you can have with the meals and they add a great kick to the meal.

Definitely worth a visit!