“Good food not sure about the venue”
Review of Restaurant 22

Restaurant 22
Ranked #72 of 705 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$46 - US$129
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

Had a meal from the July 2012 menu. The good was great, it was very tasty and well presented.

Service was good and the employees were very attentive.

Only issue is that the restaurant is very small and quite. When we went it wasn't very busy so the atmosphere, whilst pleasant, wasn't great.

I would go back again but as part of a large group.

1  Thank MHM-32
There are newer reviews for Restaurant 22

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Am visiting Cambridge with work. Restaurant was recommended by a colleague, and I am so glad I took it.

When we walked up to the restaurant front door, we were a little unerved as it looked like someones home that was a little run down. Once inside that first impression change a little, which surprisingly was not a bad thing; it looked like the first floor of someone's home had been given over to a restaurant for the evening.

The food however was not homely. An inventive and delicious menu. Slightly small portions, but good quality food, that was well presented and not overpowered by seasoning. Service was understated and the noise level and background music made it very easy to chat with my dining companions.

I will be in Cambridge for a few more days and will definitely return.

1  Thank AustralianOverseas
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I have eaten at this restaurant several times and have never been disappointed with the quality of the food. This is a tiny restaurant, a converted house and it retains the character and atmosphere of a residential property.The restaurant is small, but I have never felt 'cramped', as some people have reported. Maybe we have just been lucky with our tables or maybe we have just accepted that this is a house rather than a purpose built restaurant so tables close to each other is what you might expect.
The food is served in modest potions though after several courses we have felt satisfied rather than 'stuffed' as is often the case after a full meal. if you like a huge plateful with plenty of chips and onion rings, this will not suit you.
The food is of a high quality and is cooked to perfection. It is unpretentious and is not drenched in overpowering creamy sauces, as seems to be the case in many restaurants these days. There are only a few choices for each course so if you are in doubt or fairly fussy, it is worth checking ahead what is on offer. I tend to believe that when the range on offer is limited, the food is usually cooked to a higher standard and the ingredients are likely to be of a higher quality. You will be offered a selection of home made, unusual bread and there is often sorbet between courses and an amuse bouche.
I usually feel that I am paying a reasonable price for a meal that I could not have cooked to the same standard or better myself and it is rare that I leave a restaurant thinking this.

2  Thank CambridgeMaggie
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Restaurant 22 is a real find. It's small but it's a real gourmets delight . The set
Menu gives a good choice and the service is attentive, if a bit on the slow side. The staff were a bit anxious to move is on at 10.30 and it would have been good to let us linger a little longer. How ever worth a visit .

2  Thank alison t
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Went with my wife for our wedding anniversary, and was not dissappointed.

The single room has an intimate "at home" feel, with tables fairly close together.

The food was excellent - especially the very tender venison main course. The menu is fairly small and set for the month, but the quality makes up for the lack of choice. Also, you have to have a full meal rather than just choosing individual courses. Nice touches like a small taster soup on arrival, and a sorbet before the main course. We also had a great bottle of Cotes du Rhone red wine (Parallelle 45).

It's not the cheapest place, but it is special. Perfect for that special occasion.

1  Thank The_Bogtrotter