“Very dissapointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 678 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$43 - US$119
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Very dissapointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We went to Restaurant 22 with very high hopes based on other reviews. Instead of experiencing a perfect evening it turned out to be quite a stressful experience. The restaurant is tired, the décor old and not looking great. Tables are so closed that we had to climb out of our chairs. There is no drinks menu so I had just orange juice and they do not serve cocktails. If you want to drink something, you need to each time ask member of staff if they have it, which is highly annoying. The food is just average and hugely overpriced and the service is very slow. The starter (pigeon) was just OK but the chicken in the main was dry and tasteless and the cake on the end was dry and tasteless too. The cutlery was old and knifes not sharp enough, the glasses were not clean properly. The waitress serving us knocked with her bottom our drinks and they spilled all over the table, and she even did not apologize. We wanted another table but we were told they are full and they do not have spare table. It took them quite a while to clean this one but the man who was doing this was really rude like it was our fault. They lady's loo was quite dirty and smelly. They try to be fancy, posh restaurant but at the best they are just amateurish. The staff is extremely rude, it is too noisy there and too squeeze. I surly will not go there again.

2 Thank Carys77
ArmandoTommaso, Owner at Restaurant 22, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Carys.........Sorry Carys and Edward B -May I firstly say that I have never seen reviews from the SAME TABLE so I shall reply to you both. We obviously fell very short on both of your expectations and I can ensure you (and anybody reading this) that we try to maintain a high level of both food and service at all times. The waitress did indeed knock over the drink on your table and she was very upset that she did so - she come over with a complimentary drink and an apology - we could not move you to another table as we were indeed fully booked for that evening. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your evening here with us. Armando.

“a spoilt evening”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

a very disappointing evening...tables so close together we had to climb out of our chairs...food was merely average but with pretensions...the waitress serving an adjacent table knocked my companions drinks over...i had to insist the table was re-laid...at best the service was enthusiastically amateurish...on paying, the card machine would not connect because the other one was in use...a very poor experience and not to be repeated...a total waste of £128....

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Edward B
ArmandoTommaso, Owner at Restaurant 22, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
“Fantastic dinner experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We had a lovely evening at Restaurant 22 after being recommended by a work colleague.

A unique setting in a Georgian house' lounge room - ambience warmed as it filled, and it did fill and I bet it always does.

Food was fantastic, wine was great, service good too. It seemed a single seating to take your time, and we were in no hurry to leave.

I'm delighted they have a monthly menu change, gives us an excuse to go back again!

Our best dinner in Cambridge to date!

1 Thank Bradley M
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Excellent meal. I really enjoyed my swordfish carpaccio and pressed rabbit. My wife loved her chocolate and lavender dessert. Will definitely go again.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank RDSCambridge
“Unexpected surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Visited with friends for dinner on Saturday night and chose this restaurant to try it out. I was pleasantly surprised at how it was. We were upstairs by the window and the service was welcoming and attentive with great food and good wines. Very good evening and will definitely come again.

• Visited May 2014