“Amazing find”

Ranked #49 of 705 Restaurants in Cambridge
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Almost walked past this cafe, but glad we didn't. Really lovely selection of vege food, but my friend and I both chose meals we wouldn't make at home and we delighted - and totally stuffed! Really delicious, would definitely go back.

There are newer reviews for Rainbow Cafe

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I just dont get it, why this place seems so popular. Ive been a few times and each time leave feeling disappointed. I guess I dont like to pay to eat something I could have made much better at home.
The advertising pics of the food look great, but the reality has always been far from that..
Ive been either a veggie a vegan or almost all of my life, so I love the idea of a veggie resturant in cambridge but I find the food here anything but inspiring and exciting. maybe if you used to a diet of quorn burgers and chips this place might excite you but I can cook great vegan and veggie food that carnivores are happy to eat so maybe my standards are higher....
I am gluten and diary intolerant which is the only reason I gave it another go today. the Extensive GF vegan menu of course diminishes as soon as you want both V & GF which of course I am used to but the only optiion I had today was a particularly uninspring sounding soup (chickpea and buterrnot squash didnt sound too bad at first... untill i noticed the no onions or garlic or roots... so I inquired if it doesnt have those in does it have anything else to give it a bit of flavour... and was told no it was indeed sut chickpea and butternut squash!! ) or a big main meal which I didnt want, as I just wanted a small lunch.
Amazingly for a vegie resturant there was a really poor selection of salads, which was my downfall really, as that is always my fallback option, theres not many places where you cant at least get a salad that will be availalbe as GF and Vegan. the sald dressing was great, just would have like something to put it on!!
A lucnh menu would be a great idea, as would turning the heating on when its hailing outside, we were sat near the entrance I didnt want to take my coat off.......
in the end even despite askig for some advice on what I could eat, I wasnt offered any further options so I opted for some of the GF sugar free fruit cake as I had heard it was good. Again another disappontment. 4.95 for a tiny piece of cake that didnt taste as good as the fruit slices also V and GF and Sugar free that I sometimes get in the super market for half the price for a packet.... we had 3 starters one main and a coffee and it came to over £30 ( they even charrged extra for the cream in the coffee, (the soup came with no bread you had to buy that as extra!!) loads of other places we could all have had a lunch for that... Im going home to make some yummy food instead! :-(

3  Thank fayd D
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I love Rainbow Cafe. This is the place my friends, family, and I go to treat ourselves to some good, filling, home-cooked style meals - despite only a couple of us being vegetarian. I am allergic to onions - this is the only restaurant I've found that caters so well to allergies/intolerances and actually lists which dishes contain e.g onion, garlic, gluten, etc. Before this allergy presented itself, my favourite dish was the spinach lasagne. Melt in the mouth. They also serve delicious hot chocolate! The restaurant feels cosy and has a chilled out atmosphere. The staff have always gone out of their way to offer us an enjoyable experience, I can't fault Rainbow Cafe!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

At first this place looks like an authentic 'find' - down an alleyway, into a basement and then veggie/vegan decor nod smells. Quirky signage ("vat is added for your convenience" - er, it's included by law, not as a gesture of kindness) and clearly the owners have a major grudge against plastic (lots of signage about exorbitant fees, only one card per table and no tipping on plastic...). Perhaps as a low-margin student dive it's understandable, but it feels odd.

On to the food. Menu was ok. Pretty biased towards 'main meals' but still ok.

Service was so slow it went from joke to 'shall we leave?' Once we'd ordered then the wait really began. When the food finally arrived it was a case of questioning how it. Old have taken so long. It was 'assembled' rather than cooked and a street food van could have done this I front of our eyes.

Flavours were mediocre and my food was tepid with searing microwave hotspots.

Very disappointing.

I can only assume that the other high ratings are a result of limited veggie choice Cambridge or an affection for the place. I won't know since I won't be going back.

4  Thank ianjindal
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The Rainbow Cafe is a little difficult to find - down a little alleyway off of Kings Parade, but it is definitely worth hunting out if you're in Cambridge. Most people are put off by a vegetarian menu, but they had so much on offer; I wouldn't hesitate to take friends or family there. I had some sundried tomato garlic bread to start, which was delicious. I then had the artichoke filo pastry, with salad and rice. As it was one of their special meals, it took them a little longer to cook, but the food was absolutely exquisite. I liked the way there was fresh fruit in with the salad. For pudding, I had a creamy peach custard tart, with some sweedish glace ice cream, which topped off the wonderful main course.