“Afternoon tea - disappointing!”
Review of Fitzbillies

Fitzbillies
Ranked #2 of 12 Dessert in Cambridge
Price range: US$34 - US$134
Cuisines: European, French, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Pre-booked the £18 afternoon tea here with my Mum for my birthday. It was really disappointing!

We were packed in with other people having lunch so it didn't feel like a special experience.

The service was poor. The afternoon tea was just dumped on the table with no explanation of what we were having. The waitress just walked off!

The sandwich fillings were really average. The cakes were ok until I bit into the eclair which was off - it tasted of cheese.

They gave us £4 off our bill to apologise for that.

I agree with a previous review that they are living off their old reputation.

I certainly wouldn't go again. I've been for afternoon tea at Hotel Du Vin round the corner and it was so much better.

1  Thank 843louiseB

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Very informal - we shared a large table with some others (could have waited for our own but we weren't fussed - it was sunday lunchtime so pretty busy). Choice is on the small size but more than made up of quality. The cake and sandwich stands floating around made we wish I lived closer so could go through the whole menu given time. There is a shop at the front to grab a pastry if you can't stay but if you can, you should definitely give it a go.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Have had good lunches here before but becoming a favourite place for informal work meeting over coffee. Date slice good, and would like to see more less sweet slices / cakes

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Went here with high expectations that were not met. The chelsea buns seemed stale. There were 4 of us and 3 of us chose the chelsea buns. None of us liked them. The service was quick to the point of little to no interaction.

The only good thing about this place was the tea wasn't bad. I certainly think you one could do better. Don't be fooled by the nice display. Once you have seen this you have gotten the best out of this place so keep walking with your money in your pocket.

1  Thank RD K
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Came here after punting for a snack. Had a lovely Chelsea Bun and some prosecco with friends. Very nice little cafe and the staff were really accommodating!