“Loved the food, adored the wine”
Review of Midsummer House

Midsummer House
Ranked #4 of 705 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: With its divine location right on the River Cam, Midsummer House is among East Anglia���s best restaurants. Once you���ve finished punting down the river and taking in the sights and sounds of the beautiful university city of Cambridge, pay Midsummer House a visit. Relaxed and elegant, with a sunny conservatory and perfect al fresco dining for warm summer evenings, this modern British restaurant offers a wide range of creative dishes with a sophisticated touch learned by Chef Patron Daniel Clifford throughout his years in Britain and France���s best restaurants. Passionate about ingredients, Clifford even uses the harvest from Midsummer House���s own 80 year old apple trees in his cookery.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

When my stepson comes to Australia, we try to impress him with our culinary delights, and take him to places like Berowra Waters Inn, Quay, Level 41(since closed). So he took us to Midsummer House on our current visit to UK. I have to say he now has the edge on one-upmanship. The place is delicious. The staff warm and delightfully attentive, without being gushing. The food (we settled for the 10 course degustation with wine) was superb, matched beautifully with the wine. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Mike_and_Sheridan
There are newer reviews for Midsummer House

997 - 1,001 of 1,469 reviews

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This restaurant did not disappoint & far exceeded expectations. Set in a lovely location. The staff were friendly & helpful but not intrusive. The food was an amazing experience and I'd love to go again. We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves & will treasure that wonderful 7 course lunch!

1  Thank AnnieCrowborough
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was so disappointed with Midsummer House! For a place that has two Michelin stars, I found the food unexciting and rather forgettable. We opted for the 5 courses and added in the cheese board. I didn’t enjoy the first starter of crab, so my husband had mine. Which he was pleased at as it was an incredibly small portion. Second starter of celeriac was delicious. Main course of wagyu beef was the biggest disappointment. The beef was chewy and bland. I mentioned this to waitress when she was clearing our plates away but she clearly misunderstood me as she started telling me the beef should be rare. Yes, the beef was rare, but it should have tasted of something and not been tough! Cheese board was nice, but I’ve yet to come across a bad one. First dessert was a lemon posset, which was nice, but nothing exciting. Second dessert was disgusting. Chocolate and banana concoction. Yuck. The restaurant (or conservatory) is nice, but I spent my afternoon being blinded by the sun shining through the windows above us and staring at hippies setting up a festival. Granted, they can’t do much about that, but it didn’t help the experience. One waiter (I lost count of how many we had by then end of the meal) knew we were form Oxford and asked if we had been to Le Manoir (amazing!). We told him yes and enquired if he had been. He had only been there for drinks, because ‘being in the business’ you hear mixed things about that place. I thought that was really unprofessional. Safe to say I’m planning a return trip to Le Manoir, but I’ll not be returning to Midsummer House sadly.

5  Thank Lynn B
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have no idea but they did! This was our second visit (1st time 2 years ago), and aside from unfortunately having to sit within earshot of a couple that were determined to hate every minute of their time there we had the most perfect night.
We were there to celebrate my birthday. This time the walk to the house being very different from when we went in January! But still as stunning. From the moment the door gets opened and you are welcomed in, you know you've made the right choice.
The champagne trolley..........well just make sure you see it! Enjoyed a gorgeous glass of Ayala rose while we perused the menu. We opted for the 7 course with matching wines. This was the first time we have done a wine flight and what a difference it makes to the whole meal. Glad to have done it - not glad that we will want to do it every time we go for a meal like this! £££££!!
I'm not going to describe each course, most were divine. I wasn't a huge fan of the lamb with pepper and cheese.......didn't really work for me. Top top marks for the quail course, scallop and the strawberry desert.
We were so upset when the meal was coming to an end, we just didn't want to leave, so imagine our delight when we were invited in to the kitchen and wine cellar by our fabulous professional and personable Irish maitre d (sorry to have not remembered his name). It really topped off the evening. We then relaxed in the bar with more drinks, chocolates and a little post desert treat!
Quite predictably, we will definitely be back! Just have to wait for the next menu change (I'm not sure I can wait that long).
Midsummer is most definitely my number one restaurant, which is some achievement given that we have eaten in some fine eateries in London, the most recent being Le Gavroche - there is just something so special about Midsummer - go and find out for yourself.

1  Thank chell82
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We went for the ten course tasting menu with accompanying premium wine tastings (7 glasses).

The food was of very high quality both in terms of taste, pairing on the plate and creation. The service was very attentative but never intrusive.

We were very pleased getting a specially made dish (brioche, scrambled eggs with plenty of truffle) after one of our waiters had heard us talking about this as being the perfect breakfast. Well done!

The only thing which I think could be slightly better was the wines. There are two wine pairings; one normal and one premium, both with 7 glasses. We did not feel that it was premium wines so if I could I would have taken 1/2 point of the overall score and rated it 4.5.

All in all though this was a very pleasant visit and I look forward to come back.