“It really is over-priced” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #376 of 677 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Established in Cambridge since the 1980's, the Peking has focused on producing the highest quality Chinese cuisine that Cambridge has to offer, whilst maintaining that friendly, family atmosphere. As our guest, we'd like for you to sit back, relax, and let us guide you through the unique Peking Restaurant experience of delicious food, hot teas and great service. At the Peking Restaurant, we believe in only serving you the very best that Chinese cuisine has to offer. From our warming soups and tantalising starters to our sumptuous and spicy mains, each of our beautifully crafted dishes comes with their own perfect balance of flavours, textures and colours. We pride ourselves on making everything by hand, from our delicate and succulent dumplings, the pancakes you eat with your Peking Duck, to even the sauces we use in every dish. Nothing is pre-cooked, and everything is made fresh and on the spot for you. We're all foodies ourselves here at the Peking, and we have very high standards when it comes to food. And so our personal philosophy is that we will only serve our guests the dishes that we ourselves would only be more than happy eating. If you're a discerning foodie who understands the value of using the very best ingredients, homemade sauces and the incredible skill needed to bring it all together, then please come dine with us and experience a truly special evening at the Peking as our guest.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“It really is over-priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

As others have said, it is over-priced and lacks atmosphere. The food wasn't bad at all, and there was plenty of it, but it was not exceptional enough to justify the price tag. We were there on a Saturday night and there were many tables available - just as well, otherwise the one (delightful) waiter would have been still further overstretched. Cambridge could do with an up market Chinese restaurant, this isn't it.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank K B

London, United Kingdom
“Very overpriced and no atmosphere.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Very overpriced and no Very Shockingly overpriced and no atmosphere. Food acceptable but never again. We would be interested to hear the reason for cash only policy. Telegraph review displayed in window is ten years old. Can't identify with five star reviews.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Harvey K
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Not what it used to be..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We used to live in Cambridge - and this was our FAVORTIE restaurant there! They don't take cash and its a weird / quiet restaurant vibe, but the food was always so great that we overlooked in issues we had. We visit London often now and typically take a trip back to Cambridge just for Peking! However, we had our traditional meal yesterday from Peking and something just seemed off - the food was very greasy and oily and didn't taste "fresh", which is what we loved so much about Peking in the past. The spring rolls, which used to be my favorite thing on the menu, were oily and tasted like cardboard or something. I can't describe it, but something just seemed off. i am really hoping it was just a bad day for the team there and that this isn't the way things will be for Peking going forward. Throughout the year, we us Peking a the standard for all other Chinese restaurants on our travels and at home, and nothing as has ever come close. However, after our last meal there and the overall expense (its pricey, but typically we have been ok spending more bc it was so good) - I don't know if we'll be making the trek to Cambridge for this again. I am not ready to give up on it just yet, so maybe we'll give it one more try when we are back for another visit. I really hope it gets on track or that yesterday was just an off day, because this has been my favorite Chinese food EVER for the past few years. I love this place and really hope this is not the new normal for them!!

Visited November 2013
2 Thank PackLitely
Great Shelford, United Kingdom
“Let me actually tell you about this Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I noticed the reviewer below took away a spring roll and didn't like it. Not a reason to 1 star an entire restaurant on all categories, very poor reviewing technique. I felt compelled to write an honest review. (I've been there 4 times so far so I feel quiet qualified to review it)

This restaurant is often very empty, I think it makes a lot of money on takeaway food. This is actually a plus for me as I like being able to talk to my friends/family/girlfriend with little outside noise. The reception area is cornered off from the main restaurant so

The prices are really expensive for a typical Chinese restaurant. I mean, really big, you will have to drop a minimum of £20 pretty much if you want to order your own dish+rice. But there is an upside to this (especially if you're like me): They do not skimp on portion size. We all got a starter and a main and that was far too much food for us to finish. If you like supermodel sized portions consider just sharing a main with some rice, it will be enough. The HK way to order food is to share mains anyway, so this is where the restaurant has got the idea from. They are not personal sized portions. E.g. you order a spring roll it will be a huge fat thing, not those tiny little sticks you get from Sainsbury's taste of the orient.

The food tastes amazing. It's got to be one of the best Chinese restaurants in Cambridge. The menu has plenty of variety too .

I've never had the same waiter twice but the head chef is a funny character guy who pops out of the kitchen from time to time and is very pleasant to talk to. I've never had a bad experience with a waiter.

The restaurant is cash only which boggles the mind considering it is 2013, they really should get themselves a card reader. Cash points are ample across the road, still, get a card reader Peking, seriously.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Jean H
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“ProfessorFoodie is a whacko”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

This is probably one of the worst Chinese restaurants I have ever been to in my life. My partner and I followed the recommendations of Trip Advisor and the reviews after craving Chinese for a day or two on our trip to Cambridge.

On arrival we where greeted with little enthusiasm from the waiter, we then browsed over the menu and looked around at the lack of diners by the time we where ready to order. It was 9pm on a Wednesday so we thought there would be at least a few people eating at this restaurant where the star is supposedly the food. But no just us. So after a serious consideration, to be honest we had the time being the only diners it took the waiter 20 minutes to ask us if we wanted a drink let alone take our food order we decided to escape with four seriously over priced vegetable spring rolls.

After hoping back in a cab to the safety of our hotel we opened up the spring rolls to find a world of grease and possibly the worst excuse for a spring roll I have ever tasted. They where pretty much just bean sprouts and pastry.

To anyone that has traveled or not this is not the option for you. Avoid this hell hole at all costs!

• Visited August 2013