“Delicious, as ever”

Price range: US$20 - US$31
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I returned to this restaurant for the first time in perhaps 5 or more years, and found the food as delicious as ever! We both had the vegetarian platter, which was a good size and had a good variety of different flavours and textures. We ordered some hummus and pitta bread on the side to add a little extra substance. The decor was lovely - beautiful woven tablecloths, and the service was punctual and friendly. This is a good place to eat in central Cambridge if you're looking to avoid a chain restaurant.

1  Thank ImliH

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We have been going regularly to this restaurant for almost 4 years. Very frequently (at least once per week in the last year) because of the very good food and also very good relationship between quality and price. The quality of the service has been always good but - unexpectedly - decreased over time: the more often we went, the worst it became. The waiters started to joke more and more overtly about the food we ordered, not bringing us the menu as we already knew it - they said- , they became very rude. They once made an explicit gestures to mimic my somebody while he was walking to the guest room and addressed disrespectful questions to me when I was alone at the table. As this is not what I expect from a restaurant, especially if I have been a regular client and I recommended to friends many times, I will no longer go.

2  Thank Franca I
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Cambridge is a good meeting place for a friend and me as it is about midway between our two homes. We both spend a lot of time in the Turkish part of Cyprus and decided today to try this restaurant.
We were not disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful and when we explained we would both have to cook for our partners on returning home, they were happy to let us share a main course.
The starter mezze was delicious, a mixture of hot and cold food, ample portions, and, to be honest, we could easily have stopped there. However, we shared a seafood kebab, prawns and swordfish, with a rice and salad side, which was also very tasty. We both finished with coffee, my friend with a Nescafé and me with a Turkish orta.
We had a half carafe of house wine, which was good, but the wine was quite pricey, hence the 4 rather than 5 stars.
A good place to eat, particularly if you are conversant with and enjoy Turkish food.

1  Thank Sara H
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Had delicious fresh, barbequed-in-front-of you lean and tender lamb kebabs. They were helpful with gluten free and substituted a heap of turkish salad for the rice (which has wheat noodles in it). Staff were very smiley and it had a bustling and relaxed atmosphere. Yum, I'd like to go back and eat more (we wished we'd ordered the menu rather than just a main course - because it was delcious)

1  Thank Rosie T
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Pleasant décor and atmosphere. Food is prepared right in the dining area, which is interesting to watch and gives some assurance that the dishes are freshly made.

For starters, we ordered the vine leaves and fried aubergine. The main courses were moussaka and kebab. For wine, we tried their recommendation of retsina. Baklava for dessert. Everything was prepared and served as it should be. Good coffee too.

A couple of downsides: it's a little overcrowded, with the tables close together. It was very busy when we visited. The dessert portions were smaller than expected; more importantly, the dessert menu itself was miniscule. If you don't like baklava, ice cream or fruit platter, that's it. A little more choice would be great.

It's impossible not to notice the Turkish cuisine seems almost indistinguishable from Greek cuisine.... sorry, mustn't say this... we have tried both and enjoyed both. And never imagine that the "kebab" has anything in common with the product sold in a kebab house. The meat here is choice and delicious.

1  Thank Lawrence P