“Wonderful evening!”

Ranked #89 of 732 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$9 - US$50
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Willow Tree plays host to fine dining, entertainment, and wondrous event possibilities. This is a fairy tale venue for all seasons with meadows, garden, tree swings & tipi. The vibrant & diverse dining menu changes with the seasons to ensure ingredients are as fresh & local as can be. Happy Ever After Dining.
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We enjoyed a delicious Sunday night meal with friends while the jazz group Bluesette (not sure of the spelling) entertained . The music was perfect- loud enough to enjoy, soft enough not to interfere. The restaurant staff was accommodating and helpful to us as we sorted out some confusion about our reservation that was caused by us, not them. Drink and meal service was prompt and friendly. Our group of four ordered wine, tapas, main courses, desserts and coffees, and enjoyed every bit of it. The hummus with warm toast was a standout. All of this combined with a pleasant and interesting decor and relaxing, even romantic, lighting for an exceptional evening out. We will be back.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Shambolic! Went at the weekend waited over an hour for mains service was poor, waitresses (one dark haired and the other a bit older)seem to be more concerned on how busy they were rather than the customers? I got the same reply(sorry we're busy)when I was simply enquiring how long the wait was.
im sorry I have to agree with other reviews and I visited no.77( sister pub) recently there was two staff members a blonde girl bubbly and a guy with tatooes it was a full restuarant and they seemed to cope and managed to be smiling and put customers above the busyness!
Willow tree gives the good impression on paper but in reality it is a dull atmosphere and pretentious in all honesty!

3  Thank n1c0lajenkins
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is kind of my local so I've been a few times with my significant other and with mates for lunch. It used to be pretty good- the decor is interesting and the prices are reasonable, the service can be a bit pushy but the food ok.

But the last time we were here (for a lunch) it was terrible. We ordered simple lunches but one of them, a steak sandwich, was so badly cooked and stringy that it was inedible. We refused to pay and have given the place a wide berth ever since.

1  Thank ck0001054
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Have to say, went there for a party, and it seemed like we were the last on thoughts... the main restaurant was heaving, but service to us, stuck in the garden in a open tee pee with April conditions was very poor...

Food was late several times turning up, guests had arrived for the evening and we should have been finished eating yet we were still on our main.

The food was a to say OK, thats it which is a shame, as some of the staff were awesome...

Would I go again, based on this... NO

Its a shame, as they are too busy to focus on DELIVERY OF SERVICE, if they got this right rather than trying to hard to be UBER trendy, this place would be great!

3  Thank Graham P
Reviewed 26 April 2014

A colleague recommended this restaurant to me and, as my in-laws were coming to stay this weekend, I thought I would take them to The Willow Tree in Bourn, rather than yet another restaurant in Cambridge. We arrived at 7.00 pm and our first course arrived an hour and a quarter later. We were told, after an hour of waiting, that our main would be late. We received some bread and olive oil in the way of an apology for the long wait. Two of the mains, the fish and chips, were fine but mine (the belly of pork) was as tough as old leather and my Mother-in-Law's dish (the fish cake) was so small that even she couldn't wait for dessert (which is out of character for her). It turns out that there was a private event in the garden and the serving and kitchen staff were obviously overstretched. Most of the other customers in the restaurant near our table appeared to be totally fed up with waiting for their courses. At the end of the evening, we were offered free desserts and a refund for the pork belly but we decided to move on. A real shame for such a lovely venue. Regardless of how apologetic the manager is, it does put you off of going back and recommending it to others. If a private event is being organised, why aren't more staff brought in rather than let everything back-up and descend into delayed chaos?

1  Thank Mark L