“Dinner for two”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Altrincham, United Kingdom
“Dinner for two”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

At home I generally do the cooking not just because I think i would win Masterchef but as my partner doesn't really like to cook.
Therefore on the odd occasion we have a free Saturday night without the kids its always nice to go out and have a nice meal. The Willow Tree has never dissapointed and on our visit last Saturday (24-05-14) it was no different. I'd actually go as far as it excelled itself with 1 dish which is the best we've eaten there. The menu is limited and for me this is key, do fewer dishes do them well make sure you account for the seasons and change regularly. Then supplement with daily specials which take advantage of the available fresh produce and fish. Add in a selected well sourced wine list and changing real ales and it's a winning formula.
The Willow tree adopt this principle and for us this is without fail We don't eat here enough but that makes it all the more special when we do although i guess if we did we wouldn't attempt to drink as much, that being said this hasn't clouded our judgement. (it could be the £35 taxi fare we could save were one of us to not drink that might mean more regular visits)

It's a nice restaurant with good service excellent food and good cellar. We will be back, and we without reserve recommend it.
One question what's with all the stags heads ?

Swindon, United Kingdom
“Nice eatery”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent an evening with friends and thought we would have some food. Menu was concise. Food was delicious although I thought it was a little expensive. Service was very good and attentive.

I also thought that the room was a little dark

• Visited May 2014
“Recommended to me wasn't impressed”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Menu was limited, decor was nice, food wasn't amazing. Service was poor, price expensive for quality. Doubt I will return again.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Bear1386
Leamington Spa
“Truncated visit”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Arrived one lunchtime and waited by the bar while the only two waitresses studiously ignored us. One was inputting details of a bill into a terminal and the other was pulling a pint. No eye contact, no smile, no 'I'll be with you in a minute'. They both left the bar. Came back; one did some things with an optic and went off to deliver a drink, and the other disappeared into the door behind the bar. Still treating us as though we were invisible. Another woman came to join us at the bar and was actually greeted. We were still ignored. Our fellow customer said 'the food is usually good here but the service is always slow'. Bar vacant again. Then more fiddling with drinks by waitresses. My husband, pissed off, left the pub in despair as we must have been waiting between five and ten minutes to be acknowledged, and there were not even many customers in the pub. When I eventually made contact I had lost the will to eat there and asked if the manager was around. Apparently not. Waitress not even interested in finding out why I wanted to see the manager, didn't ask if she could help with anything but gave me a card and smiled, for first time, as though she were doing me a big favour. The other waiting customer was joined by her friend. They were still standing there at the bar as I left.

Why is staff training here so poor? Why do people work in a service industry if they don't have the slightest idea about service? Or are they so dim that they actually can't do more than one thing at a time, like smile and walk? What about acquiring some basic social skills? Bring in some immigrants. The ones I know want to work hard and they know about service. We went down the hill and had a jolly nice time at Abantu.

5 Thank Susanleamington1
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“Visit May 2015”
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Disappointing, took 40 mins to get first course. The trio of fish was so small it was insignificant and tasted like it was purchased from ASDA barging bin. Main course acceptable but not special. The final course was slow, little custard with the pudding and one guest was given the wrong order meaning other members had finished before the replacement arrived. It feels like the grown ups have gone and the children are in charge.

Visited May 2014