“Enjoyable meal”

Good for: Groups
Anchorage, Alaska
“Enjoyable meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We read the reviews of this restaurant and decided to give it a try and make up our own minds. We ordered the vegetable platter as a starter, which was really quite lovely in presentation and selection, and delicious. For the main dish, we ordered one of our favorites we've regularly ordered elsewhere: Tom Kha shrimp. My husband ordered it a little spicier than their usual setting. Although our soup was quite good, the flavor was more subtle and hardly spicy even with a little heat added. Very different in execution here, but not bad; richer and creamier tasting is how Mai Thai does it. They also shave the galangal finely (which I prefer) so it's not like a piece of wood in the soup. we're no experts on Thai cuisine; we only know when it's done a little differently (like BBQ sauce?) from other restaurants, and this is how they do Tom Kha soup. So if you like it hot, ask them to punch it up a fair amount.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank AlfalfaAnchorageAK

Cambridge
“Outstanding authentic Thai food with a lovely view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I visited Mai Thai yesterday with my wife and son, who has been to Thailand several times and is very keen on Thai food. I was a little apprehensive having read several very negative reviews on Trip Advisor. I needn’t have worried! The ambience, décor, views over lovely Parkers Piece, service and food were all excellent!
We ate the mixed Thai starter, and for main course chose a green chicken curry (quite hot/spicy! – although the waiter offered to de-spice it when he spotted my wife starting to perspire!), a beef massaman and the lazy duck. We met the owner of the restaurant who has previously run other prestigious restaurants in the area, and he told us that they fly in authentic Thai ingredients every week, and my son reported that his beef massaman was the best he’d had – anywhere!
As for my lazy duck, I can only assume it is given that name because that is how I feel the day after eating it! It was a huge dish (half a duck) and absolutely delicious.
I am sorry if others in the past have not enjoyed their experience at Mai Thai in Cambridge. All I can say is that yesterday it was fantastic, and I would recommend it highly to others.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank GuyB698
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Beautiful food and amazing view with one small hiccups”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Walked in this evening and were welcomed kindly by a gentleman whom we assumed was the manager/supervisor, and were told to wait while our table was being prepared.
As the restaurant was busy, the same gentleman whom greeted us also took us to our table and also our order.
We were not familiar with the menu, so we asked the gentleman on his opinion, and he recommended the fish cakes for myself and chicken satay for my husband for starters which to my surprise was very tasty. For mains we had gaiy ang with fried rice and a lazy duck with fragrant rice, all of which was superbly cooked and flavorsome. on asking, we were also recommended the monsoon valley wine which complemented the meal tremendously.
Atmosphere = 8, Food = 8, Service (by the gentleman) = 8

The only bad gesture shown to us by the staff was that the waiter and waitress spoke very loudly in Thai among one another whilst dealing with us, which was quite off putting.

Other than this one small hiccup, we had a wonderful evening and i would recommend this restaurant to all food lovers.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Sharron C
Brandon, United Kingdom
“Food was AMAZING views are Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Excellent speedy service, with very fresh food. Generous portions of delicious food, cooked with fresh thai spices and herbs. My prawn green curry included real thai aubergines and fresh thai basil. Could not fault the food, and the restaurant is based in a friendly pub that is very welcoming. If you are in Cambridge and are looking for great value and tasty thai food look no further.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Howard M
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“It is really Thai?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

We had a takeaway this afternoon from Mai Thai, the portion size were really good and I was hoping for the big price to be reflected in the quality of the food. I was totally disappointed. The food was awful and I'm wondering whether I really had Thai for lunch or was it some rotten meal cooked by absolute beginner. I had the PAD PRIK POW which is actually meant to be a stir fry with chilli in oil, onions, mix peppers, bamboo shoots, garlic & long beans with bean curd. All I had was bean curd with a couple of beans and soy sauce. The dish tasted of nothing but the soy sauce and ere was no hint of any chilli or garlic. It is really a disgrace and my local takeaway does a fantastic job for half the price. Will I visit this place again? NEVER!

• Visited October 2013