Mowbray B&B
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Cambridge
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
Centennial Hotel(Cambridge)
Fenners Hotel(Cambridge)
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Having read the reviews on here, I was absolutely dreading my stay here! The good thing was that I was dreading it so much, that I was actually pleasantly surprised! The room was clean and tidy and the bed was comfy. They have maybe been reading comments about lack of provisions provided because there was plenty of tea, coffee and cups! We also got toast with our breakfast so there was something to spread the jam on. The breakfast was brought to our room on a tray in the morning but that was the first we'd seen of our host, when we 'checked in' we just entered the code and headed straight to our room - not the warmest of welcomes! The bathrooms could do with sprucing up - I don't think it would take much to replace the shoe lace with an actual light cord and the shower was pretty rubbish but the room was nice and we were only there to crash for the night.
I obviously wouldn't stay there if I wanted a night of luxury and glamour but it was the cheapest place we could find at late notice, and Cambridge isn't cheap anyway so I was actually quite happy with it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristen H
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We knew when we booked it would be basic, but there were a few things not right. Sheets that didn't fit the bed, no choice on the cereal for breakfast, no knife to cut the scone, no butter or jam on the second morning, the cold tap was loose, no way to wash or dry your hands in the loo to name but few. However the bed was comfy and the room was clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Just to add my thoughts on Jan Y's posting. We were in the group of 5 guests who had booked (some months ago), one night at Brooklands B&B,including cooked breakfast and en-suite.As Jan rightly says we were only told on arrival that we had been moved to the Mowbray, "our sister hotel" !! We never saw anyone at all which put paid to the "warm welcome". We were only told the code for the door and the room numbers and that the breakfast was "in the room".On arrival at the Mowbray we discovered no en-suite facilities at all,just a sink (cracked in our room) which required two hands to turn the hot tap on!. Our room was fairly basic,bare floorboards with the odd, rather shabby mat, and a small set of drawers on which stood out "breakfast". This consisted of 3 small cereal packets, 2 weetabix, 3 small orange cartons (29p),UHT milk, and a few sachets of coffee, sugar,and tea-bags. One of the cereal bowls and spoons still had the remnants of the previous occupents milk and cereal in the bottom-not good!!. To their credit the bed linen and towels did appear to be clean and fresh-probably the only reason we stayed!. The two shower room/toilets across the landing left a lot to be desired. Both toilet seats were loose. The pull cords were strangely located behind the doors, one was filthy and the other was a brown boot lace!. The showers looked grubby and had visible hairs stuck around the shower trays. We,my wife and myself. woke early next morning and left for home just after 7. On returning home I checked the prices for both the Brooklands and the Mowbray. Brooklands averages around £75 (which is what we were quoted,plus £55 for a single) and the Mowbray around £55. At the time of writing I dont know what Jan has been billed,hopefully not the £75 because even at £55 I feel cheated. I wonder if this has happened to any other guests???
All in all a very unpleasant experience, and if I could offer one word of advice to any potential visitors to this establishment it would be,,, DONT!!!!!!!!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank KevinGould
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This is the sister 'hotel' to Portland Guest house on Cherry Hinton Road. I was under the impression that I had booked at the Portland Guest house. However on arriving there was directed, over the phone, to this dump. We had two doubles and one single room (ensuite - joke) and paid £75 and £55 respectively for B&B. This must stand for Bad and Badder. Our 'breakfast' was boxes of cereals, uht milk, cheap tea and coffee sachets which were 'thrown' on a tray in the rooms. On a positive note the bedsheets and towels appeared clean. That's where the good bits end. There was no-one to greet us, just a code to get in and keys in the appropriate doors. We didn't see anyone until leaving in the morning. It was obviously a student who was living in and supposedly looking after the place. The ensuite was a sink with no plug. We had to share bathrooms.
On entering the property (which could have been very nice with a bit of care and attention) the scruffiness was immediately apparent. The beds in the double rooms were comfortable but the one in the single room had a very stained mattress with a hole in the middle. The mattress was covered by an old bed throw that had obviously been used for a decorators dust cover.
There were grubby rugs around the place which were trip hazards. The bathrooms had days worth of human hair on the floor and had not been cleaned thoroughly. The pull cord for the light switch was dark brown with dirt. The taps swivelled around and the water pressure in the shower was very hit and miss. One of the bathrooms had a shoe lace as a pull cord.
The only hanging space for clothes was a hook on the back of the door.
Thank God we were only booked in for one night!!!!! Our friends were out before 7am as they couldn't stand it any longer.
Thinking of staying here - DON'T !!!!
I have given it one star but actually it doesn't deserve and.

Room Tip: Just stay away
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jan Y
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This has to have been one of the most laughable and scary experiences, on booking I was lead to believe that it included breakfast, on arrival we were told it was already in our room, this included a tray with a few boxes of cereal, uht milk, and a few sachets of coffee , the rooms were really basic but on the upside they appeared clean, however the bedding didn't smell like it had been changed, the floors were all floor boarded with grubby sticky rugs, there were two small bathrooms straight out of our room which were very basic and the tap was faster than the shower, the on sweat facilities consisted of a sink in your room in which the taps don't work haha.
On arriving at the house of horror we were greeted by a young foreign lady which as soon as we arrived through the key coded door we were asked how are you paying, we had made an online payment to book the room, as we settled in to our room the lady and a guy were arguing for a good half of the night in foreign language, this was quite an un nearing experience to which I would never like to repeat........ Enter at your own risk!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious, but no on sweat, and facilities are old, dated and very very basic
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business