eDreams
Glen L
Leicester, United Kingdom

Superb!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 Sept 2021
I don’t know where to start with this review. Should I describe the superb standard of the accommodation? Very much what I would have expected on a luxury boat, built by a craftsman. What about the food? We couldn’t do the breakfast justice, I regret to say. A full English cooked to order but I wish it had left me room for the delicious-looking croissants. How about the best bed I’ve ever slept in? Big and soft and so comfy. Our stay started with the best welcome ever. A bottle of cold white wine, two glasses and a table and two chairs on the boat’s stern. How did Stuart know this was my dream, to have a glass of white wine whilst sitting on a boat on the river in Ely on a lovely summer day? He didn’t. From reading other reviews, I see this was the usual welcome. And I thought we were special. And when we left, I realised we were. Stuart is such a good host.The experience was more than I’d hoped for a special treat. The accommodation is quirky, light years away from those ordinary hotel rooms that are cloned throughout the world. Book a stay. You’ll enjoy the barge, you’ll enjoy Ely.
Date of stay: August 2021
Room Tip: Not for people with limited mobility etc. It's a boat. There are steep steps to climb.
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
    £110
  • Agoda.com
2.6 miles from Hotel Barge Waternimf
View more hotels in Ely
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 July 2021

My wife and I stayed on the Waternimf for two nights. We both loved the quirkiness and luxury of the room and found the host Stuart very helpful and friendly. The location is beautiful and great for accessing Ely on foot. The highlight was the breakfast served in the room ( covid restrictions have obviously been a factor). Overall the bedroom and lounge were very comfortable however the toilet was very awkward to use ( due to shape of barge). I would highly recommend staying on Waternimf for a quiet relaxing couple of nights exploring the local area. If arriving by car please note there is no secure car parking and finding a space (which is all free in Ely) close to the barge is pot luck. Lovely touch was host leaving us a bottle of red wine on arrival.

Date of stay: July 2021
1  Thank Felix9855
Reviewed 24 June 2021 via mobile

Very tastefully decorated and converted. Excellent service. Fabulous breakfast.set up is your own private lounge, with the bedroom downstairs. Ideal location. Very clean and Covid safe. Easy walk into Ely and the Cathedral and all the other attractions.

Room tip: Possibly not ideal for those with mobility issues, as the steps to the bedroom are very steep and you need to go down backwards
Date of stay: June 2021
1  Thank 450gilliant
Reviewed 20 June 2021 via mobile

A brilliantly different experience. Great fun to stay on a refurbished 1906 Dutch Barge close to Ely City Centre. Excellent hospitality provided by Stuart the owner that included a warm welcome and excellent breakfasts. Would happily return!

Date of stay: May 2021
3  Thank dcfitz35
Reviewed 17 June 2021

Just returned from an amazing overnight stay on this quirky very comfortable barge. Stuart is a wonderful host, interesting and very knowledgeable. Initially we were concerned about staying overnight in these strange times following the pandemic but there was no reason to worry, in fact we wished we could have stayed another night. Stuart's amazing breakfast was Michelin star quality. Thank you for a very enjoyable overnight stay we hope to be back again as soon as possible for a longer period.

Date of stay: May 2021
1  Thank H5251TBmarilynh
Reviewed 8 June 2021

We just got back from a relaxing weekend break in Ely staying on the Waternimf hotel barge, we was welcomed on-board by Stuart and offered red and white wine as a welcome drink, currently only cabin now being offered is one at rear of barge (I think 'the stern' in boatperson lingo :) ), absolutely lovely cabin with your own sitting/lounging area, this basically means you are only people on the barge,excluding owners Fiona n Stuart, which makes you feel really privaleged, sitting outside being delivered a breakfast of fruit, Muslims yoghurt combo, fresh orange juice, tea, coffee,toast, then Stuart's enormous cooked breakfast, beautifully cooked and top notch ingredients, amazing
A couple of small things that I think would enhance guests stay even more at the 'stern' cabin would be a of comfy chairs to sit in evening outside on deck as the Bistro chairs are ok for eating breakfast but not to relax on, and maybe a mini fridge in lounging area, although Stuart

Date of stay: June 2021