“Don't overlook this hotel this Xmas for the best value Xmas meal in town”
Review of The Nyton

The Nyton
Ranked #25 of 34 Ely B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We are locals so only used the restaurant for an annual Christmas meal with a friend. We had been a year ago and enjoyed the experience then and decided to book again this year . We booked early in the Xmas season, and we did have the restataunt to ourselves which was a little unusual , but the owner Robert looked after us personally, We started with a glass of proseco , which is included in the price, and sat in the bar area whilst our meal was being prepared . The starter s were all excellent, my wife and friend had the pâté, which was not too rich, and I had the peeled king prawns in Marie Rose sauce. Main course for me was roast turkey , with all the trimmings, and for my wife and friend, the roast duck which I was told was not fatty or greasy. The portions were more than ample. The accompanying vegetables were excellent, the sprouts were cooked to perfection. There were ample portions including mashed potato, cauliflower, carrots and sprouts and roast potatoes which were beautifully crisped. The sweets were likewize excellent. I had the home made Delia Smith Christmas pudding with brandy sauce and a little ice cream,
The other sweets were equally nice . We were then provided with a cafetierre of coffee and mints .
We had crackers which contained the usual gifts . The only complaint we jokingly made was about the naff jokes in the crackers . Service as you can imagine was superb, timings for serving the courses couldn't be faulted. Not bad for £20 a head !

Room Tip: Not applicable as we didnt stay
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We booked a family room for a couple of nights; It was a good size room, with comfortable beds.
The view was of the beautiful large trees in the surrounding garden, and of Ely's Cathedral.
The B&B is conveniently close to the beautiful town of Ely, for visiting the sites and local restaurants.
The breakfast was delicious and very welcome on a cold November morning, this was cooked by Robert, a sensitive, multi-tasking and caring owner of the business.
A very personable experience, a wonderful contrast to the superficial, faceless hotel experiences one can have.

Room Tip: state it's purpose, and if you need a view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lucialocket
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Despite some of the more negative reviews, we decided to book in for one night to see Ely. I must say we were pleasantly surprised both by the quality and cleanliness of our twin room overlooking the garden and the good food...both dinner and breakfast. Close to the town and cathedral yet quiet and secluded. Prices were very reasonable, but it was early November and the hotel was a bit short of guests. Not really 4 star due to a few lapses noted by others; the non-operational TVs for example. But the proprietors tried very hard to please and I would happily go there again.

Room Tip: Lovely garden and golf course at back.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lesw227
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed for one night last week and what a disappointment, the food was nice, the bedroom was not what we expected. TV wouldn’t work when we asked even the manager could not help, suggested we come down stairs and see the one down there. Not want you would expect from a 4 star accommodation. It was a single room with a double bed in it. Really passed its sell by date. Would I go back; no thank you not at that price? Also the room was drab and although it was clean, I have been in better 2 star hotels.

Room Tip: try another location
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have just returned from a one night stay at the Nyton. The service we received from Robert and his staff was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and looked after all our needs. I shared a twin room with my mother and had a lovely view over the garden and golf course, my Aunt and Uncle also had the same view. We ate in the restaurant on the evening and food was very tasty, once again Robert looked after us well. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going to Ely or surrounding area.

Room Tip: Second floor room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie g
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My wife and I were looking to move up to the Ely area and needed a place to stay over for one night. By luck we stumbled upon the Nyton and by luck again were given Room No.1 with a lovely 4 poster bed.

It was getting a bit late and we were hungry, but the manager kindly extended his restaurant hours and personally cooked us a delicious dinner.

After a very comfortable night and a superb breakfast (including porridge for me and excellent haddock with poached eggs for the good lady) we decided to book for another night.

This continued for the next 4 nights! after which we unfortunately had to come home.

All in all a lovely stay with comfortable room, excellent food, very pleasant staff and a lovely location next to the golf course. We can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Taylors_Trips
Reviewed 6 August 2013

After getting married to my husband in September 2012, we returned to the Nyton this year (2013). Ely is a lovely city, and we booked a 2 night stay with bed and breakfast included.

As expected we had a lovely stay, with fond memories of our big day. The hotel is in a quiet area of the small city, and as such slept really well in the comfortable room.

The meals were of a very high standard, and we enjoyed 3 courses, the ham terrine for starter, followed by muscles in a cream white wine sauce with plenty of crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce. The lemon syllabub, and the raspberry & white chocolate cheesecake are to die for.

A tremendous asset of the Nyton is it's very peaceful picturesque garden which over looks the golf course. It is a lovely place to sit and enjoy a good book, and a club sandwich with chunky chips.

The room we stayed in was room 2, which I have seen some bad reviews on. I took some pictures of the room, and it is clear the hotel has revamped it's bathrooms to a high standard.

Will definately stay here again when we next visit the beautiful city of Ely.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple