“Pub has nice atmosphere”
Review of Lamb Hotel

Lamb Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ely
“Pub has nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Set above a really nice pub which serves good beers, but the rooms were really lacking in mojo. Very tired rooms that were not properly clean and a bathroom that smelt of damp.

Breakfast was excellent, eggs benedict, good coffee, friendly waitresses, served quickly, no complaints about that!

Overall, good place to stay on a budget, it's not the best, but you're not paying big prices...

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sigainey
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Lamb Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your breakfast. As for your comments with regards to the bedrooms we have since had a housekeeping meeting with all of our housekeepers and they are working very hard to ensure all roooms are up to standard. We hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We are here for Saturday light lunch.
I had a BLT, my daughter a tuna kids sandwich, my dad fish and chips, my mum a caeser salad.
My daughter took a bite of the sandwich and spat it out, I tried it, it was disgusting. I took it straight back and told a staff member that it was bad and we would like cheese instead if that was their standard of tuna we would try something different.
They said ok but nothing happened.
Everyone finished their dinner.
Dad said it tasted reheated and wasn't up to standard. My BLT wasn't too bad but I could make better myself at home and the se goes for the caeser salad.
When I went to ask for the sandwich they seemed confused, what had we ordered? Was it cheese? Then it arrived finally as everyone's plates were being cleared away.
Terrible basic value cheese in bread with a cheap garnish of levels and honey dressing?
I will not be returning g to this place to eat and I am not sure how they can manage a hotel if the can't do 4 lunches well!

2 Thank Itsnotfromthompson

Travellers are raving about these Ely hotels

Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed at the lamb hotel last night the 10th May for my husbands birthday, how awful the service was, the staff seemed not to me bothered service poor and loud banging all night which made our bed shake!! As I live in Ely I stayed last month in the new ground floor annexe which was running alive with ants!!
Reported all of this on both times at checkout and all was said we are sorry!!
Please think twice when you decide to book in this hotel, ps our Ely is a beautiful city so come Greene do something with your hotel!!

3 Thank Debbievince
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. We at the Lamb are sorry you were disappointed with your visit. We are working hard to try and make sure we offer the correct high standard of service Old English Inns are well known for. We hope this has not put you off either The Lamb or Old English Inns.
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I've stayed at the lamb at numerous occasions traveling to Ely in business quite often. I've always felt very welcome and staff has always been very good, but not this time.

Gone is the friendly and warm feel that always been there. I know the hotel is part of a very large group with all the procedures and scripts that has to be followed by the staff. They've always done that before but with a big warm personal smile. This time all of that was gone!!!!

It pretty much felt like being welcomed by Arnold Schwarzenegger! Everything was very staccato and rehearsed. And on top of that nobody smiled! Not on reception, not on the bar and not in the restaurant. Shame on you management! Because it is obvious that you are the culprits in this.

Even the food showed signs of having been "straightened" out. Everybody who eats in the restaurant knows the food is microwaved but it didn't show before, now it did. Very average looking and no personality in it.

It's a shame, I really looked forward to my visit and I got really let down by Greene King showing their true colours by being nothing else but a McDonalds wannabe.

You've lost this custom at all your hotels from now on.

Gavin

5 Thank Ghwells
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. We at The Lamb are sorry you were disappointed with your visit. As you have stayed with us numerous times in the past we are sorry to hear that your latest visit has made you decide never to stay at The Lamb again. We really hope that as you have been a regular guest in the past you are aware that at The Lamb we pride ourselves on giving excellent customer service, and we are working hard to try and ensure we offer the correct high standard of service Old English Inns are well known for.
Londonderry, New Hampshire
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We've been here before and the service was pretty bad but the food was good, this time it was the other way around

The waitress who served us was lovely but sadly the food was a let down. The steak was tough and bland, one tiny overcooked mushroom. The chicken my partner had was very dry and the chips were poor quality oven chips.. I don't think I'd eat here again and heard many locals say the same

Room Tip: Try the cutter
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
We are sorry to hear you were not 100% satisfied with your visit at The Lamb, but please be assured we are all working hard to try and make sure we offer the correct high standard of service Old English Inns are well known for. We hope we will see you again soon.
Rydöbruk, Hallands Län, Sweden
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed at Lamb hotel for one night 17 april. Me and my wife had two single room. The room where clean and quite. The staff was helpful and polite. The breakfast was really good cooked and service excelent. Next time in Ely, I'll stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Micael A
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are very pleased to hear you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us at the Lamb and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I took a party of 34 people to this hotel on the 27th March 2014 for a two night stay. I had made this reservation back in the Autumn of 2013, and spoke with one of the managers a lady named Aneta. She must have known that this would be a tall order for her and the staff, but it was only when we arrived at the hotel to begin our stay, that the problems began to show themselves.

As I was the organiser for this break, most of the other freinds kept their thoughts to them selves, but my wife & I room was dirty, & dusty and was positioned so that with the window open (it was open when we arrived), we received the full blast of the kitchen extractor fans so that the room smelt like a fish & chip shop. One of the junior staff came to the room with a paper towel and a spray bottle and tried to clean the dust and dirt from the furniture, and promised to move us to another room the following day, This was done and it was a better room.

We were booked in on a bed & breakfast basis, but had told the hotel we would be eating our evening meals there as well. On the first night we commenced our meal at around 7-30 ish, and it finished around 10-00, on the second evening we commenced our meal around 6-30 and this time we finished around 10-30!

It was obvious that the hotel was grossly understaffed and if it wasn't for the fact that we were surrounded by our freinds etc, we would have either moved to another hotel or driven home.

Room Tip: Find another Hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michael E
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. We at the Lamb are sorry you were disappointed with your visit. We are working hard to try and make sure we offer the correct high standard of service Old English Inns are well known for. We hope this has not put you off either the Lamb or Old English Inns. At the time of your visit we had a manager with us whome was new to the company and he didn't end up staying with us, so I am very pleased to say we now have a new manager who is working very hard with the team to turn The Lamb around.