“Beautiful”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ely
Castlemaine, Australia
“Beautiful”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Unfortunately we could only spend one night at this hotel. We had not booked ahead but were greeted very warmly at reception and shown to a very large and quite luxurious room. The bar was very comfortable with reasonably priced drinks. We didn't eat at the restaurant in the evening but did enjoy a delicious and varied breakfast the next morning. All the staff we came across were very attentive and friendly. This hotel is across the road from Cromwell's House and the beautiful Cathedral. It's worth doing the town walk that is suggested by the hotel. It may be a little pricey compared to other accommodation in Ely but you certainly get value for money. Would definitely stay here again if lucky enough to visit Ely again.

1 Thank Bolly27
David T, Owner at Poets House, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Bolly27,

Thank you for your review of Poets House. I am pleased you had a good stay with us and also got to see the sights of our wonderful city, Ely. Your comments regarding the staff , product and service have all been received with great thanks and shared with all concerned.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and if back in these parts we will look forward to seeing you again !!

Best wishes.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We took my father and his wife here for a "bucket list" trip (he has terminal cancer). The hotel were warm and welcoming and looked after us really well. They allowed him to keep his car close at hand should he need it. The rooms were excellent and the copper baths are a delightful luxury.
We ate in the first night and the food was great. The staff were really helpful and quietly there when needed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brassjon
Dear Brassjon,

Thank you for your recent review of Poets House and indeed choosing us for your fathers ‘bucket list’ trip.

I am delighted that the stay was a good one and further that the team took care of you during this time. I hope your father enjoyed this part of his bucket list and that his health is as well and can be expected.

Sending you all our very best wishes during what must be a very difficult time. Please relay to your father that he is welcome to Poets House anytime !!

Warm regards,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Excellent service with valet service for car parking, food excellent and wine list reasonable and rooms with big baths recommended-central for tourist activity including Oliver Cromwell's house and cathedral-recommend a visit.

Room Tip: room with bath
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Julian H,

Thank you for your review of Poets House. I am pleased to read of your recommendation for us an appreciation for the hotel and team.

Much appreciated Julian and I hope you will look us up when back in the area.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

After hearing lots of good things about the Dining room at the Poets House I was looking forward to a family birthday dinner out this weekend.

Unfortunately I found the menu a little bizarre. Trying a little too hard maybe, with some confusing wording and flavour combinations. Unfortunately nothing on the menu really made me excited about the meal ahead. It was the "New Season Asparagus" starter on the menu that really left me confused, as the English asparagus season finished two months ago. New season Peruvian Asparagus maybe?

I decided to go for the Duck liver parfait with ginger, as I am a ginger addict. I found my starter difficult to eat, the piped parfait in the glass made a bit of a mess. I found it really too over powering with ginger, it reminded me of a McVities Jamaica ginger cake, didn't taste the duck. Really disappointed.
I had for my main course a Rib eye steak. The rare steak wasn't great, a bland piece of meat and the chips were a little blonde and needed to stay in the fryer a little longer.
I didn't have a dessert, but two of my party did. One of them had the blackberry cheesecake, and said it wasn't great, bland and tasted like it was bought in, rather then homemade.

Maybe the kitchen was having an off day, I was so excited to go to the restaurant, but left unfortunately disappointed.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sarah P,

Thank you for your review of Poets House. I am sorry that we did not manage to meet your expectation on your visit. Your comments have been shared with our Food and Beverage team to see if there is any learning we can take from the points you make.

With that said we have a new Head Chef and an autumn menu that is about to launch and I am hopeful that you would find something in this selection to satisfy your palette should you choose to return if back in Ely.

In the interim, thank you again for taking the time to review us.

Best regards,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 2 days this week and have been delighted with the experience. I notified the 'butler' in advance that it was my husbands birthday and they kindly left him a card from the hotel in our room which was such a nice touch. I also let them know I am gluten free which they catered for superbly, with gluten free toast at breakfast and they even gave me separate butter so it wasn't contaminated.
Pulling in to the Poets House is lovely as it is right opposite the cathedral and the location is excellent.
The rooms are equipped with luxury items (of which I wanted to take with me but would have struggled to fit the copper bath in my suitcase!) Bose Bluetooth speaker playing from the room iPad mini, wow! Stunning decor with beautiful lights, mirrors and accessories.
The TV was logged in to Netflix so we have a huge library of things to choose from to watch after our delicious dinner in The Dining Room.
We have had a fabulous time and would highly recommend.
2 nights in Ely was perfect for a relaxing break, we did a cathedral tour and went up the octagon tower which was excellent.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank ellenwilson100
Tiltil, Owner at Poets House, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear ellenwilson100,

Thank you for your review of Poets House, I am delighted that you had a great stay with us. We are always appreciative when our guests acknowledge the elements of product and service that sometimes get overlooked in such reviews, so thank you for taking the time to list them in your feedback.

I hope you will look us up when next back in the area !!

With Thanks and Best Regards,

Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I'm not a cheapskate, but I'm always a little wary of more expensive hotels as they can often be a disappointment. And, let's face it, when you're paying above the average for a room then the quality has to be well above average to score on the value for money front. But the Poets House (wot, no apostrophe?) didn't let us down at all.

The service was excellent, from the moment we arrived and someone was at our car picking up bags before we'd even worked out where reception was.The room was gorgeous, and well equipped. I have to say that I particularly liked the fact that the toilet/shower room had real windows - I've been in too many hotels, even ones boasting five stars, where the "facilities" are a tiny, windowless room tucked away in the corner. Not here, though; the shower room (complete with rainfall shower) was light and airy and felt much more like a home from home than a typical hotel.

The air-conditioning in the room was effective without being obtrusively noisy when trying to sleep (always a hard combination to pull off), and the bed was comfortable.

We didn't eat in the hotel for dinner, so I can't comment on that, but breakfast was excellent. Other nice touches included a voucher for complimentary drinks in the bar, and the in-room iPad which doubled as a controller for the sound system as well as providing direct access to information about the hotel and the Internet in general. For those who prefer to use their own devices, there is free wifi throughout the hotel.

The one thing missing from the hotel is on-site parking, but there is free off-site valet parking if you need it. As it happened, we didn't, as when we got back to the hotel in the evening there was a vacant on-street parking space just across the road, but it's reassuring to know that the valet service is there if necessary.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay. I'd certainly be happy to use the Poets House again.

1 Thank MarkGoodge
David T, Owner at Poets House, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear MarkGoodge,
Thank you for your review and great feedback of Poets House. Your review and account of your stay is much appreciated and has been shared with the team concerned.
It is always encouraging (and never taken for granted) when we receive such praise for our teams and properties.
Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we will look forward to seeing you back again with us soon.
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The good experience started when I booked and continued till I left. It started with a prompt reply to an e mail requesting a cathedral facing room followed by a call from our butler to confirm my requests. When we arrived the butler advised of hotel services en route to the room and en suite which were larger then expected and offered what was shown on the web site but this brings me to the only let down as no mini bar. Some people have said the air con is noisy well I've heard much worse in a 5* and be fair I'm not aware silent air con exists. Having enjoyed a complimentary drink at the bar followed by a cognac from a quality selection we were asked our choice of table to enjoy the range of food and wine on offer (not extensive but well cooked and chosen) After a good nights sleep we went for breakfast, good cooked breakfasts but no breads/cheese on the continental buffet table but judging by the standard of service I'm sure the waiter would have got some.
Quick note to Linda the butler sorry thought the "other half" had tipped you and vice versa but hope catch you next time as we will be back

Room Tip: Just ask when you book and hotel will advise front/rear room bath in room/en suite etc
David T, Owner at Poets House, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Travelman 1963,
Thank you for your review and feedback of Poets House. I am pleased that you had a good stay with us and that you took the time to mention / respond to points made by other reviewers. This is most helpful for other reviewers to get other opinions than those singular points which can at times not all be positive.
Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we will very much look forward to seeing you on your return to Ely.
David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ely
Lamb Hotel
Riverside Inn
Riverside Inn
#12 of 34 in Ely
Grove Barn Cambridgeshire

Been to Poets House? Share your experiences!