“Grand”
Review of Poets House

Poets House
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ely
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Poets House experience was first class from beginning to end. Our room was huge, overlooking the church, with all those added luxury's which makes a stay really special. Fluffy bathrobes, chocolates and petite fours, good (if noisy air conditioning), a great shower, an i pad and a hot and cold running butler service, which provided excellent Americanos at the drop of a hat. Drinking bubbly in the bar from 1930’s style coupe glasses will live long in the memory, along with the excellent dinner and lovely breakfast the next day.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Goosey2014

Dear Goosey2014,

Thank you for your great review of Poets House. Your appreciation of the ‘little touches’ are good to see as is your comment regarding the champagne saucers. Believe it or not there has been much speculation about the use of the glasses in the past, so your positive comments are much welcomed from the person that chose them.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us, I am pleased that we left you with a positive, long lasting memory.

Best wishes,

There are newer reviews for Poets House

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We went to this hotel for a overnight stay, party of 2 adults 2 children ( 13,&9 yrs)
Hotel decor was nice, rooms large for 2 persons, bathroom fantastic cooper bath rain shower, nice location and central in Ely.
The vegetarian/vegan menu was non existence and staff knowledge of vegetarian/vegan food was poor, my wife was was offered gnocchi which contained eggs and given chorizo bread with our meal, in the end she had cheese and pickle sandwiches for main meal, hardly fine dinning
We found staff condescending we where told we could not eat our food in the main restaurant as other fine dinning guests would not want to sit around us whilst my wife had sandwiches !!
We where offered the bar area or outside patio area for our food.
Breakfast in the room was a nice touch, and it came very well presented but it was stone cold on arrival. There where no tea / coffee facilities in the room, we where told to call and it would be freshly made, which was a nice thought but it was but cold on arrival.
We have had better meals for a lot less, the food and drink is very overpriced and the price of food and drink did not reflect the quality or quantity
We are a family of four and when booking we did not have the option of a family room so had to book two rooms.

Would recommend the tour of ely cathedral and Oliver Cromwell house

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Ariannesara,

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback of your visit to Poets House. I am sorry to learn of the elements of your stay that were not to your liking with reference to the vegetarian and vegan options.

Our main menu was created with ‘ Garden Dishes’ in mind given that I myself am a vegetarian and like you suffer from lack of choice when dining out. I am sorry that despite this we were still not able to offer you something of choice. With regard to the vegan choices admittedly are not something we have in abundance but with a little notice is something that we most certainly can cater for. Your comments regarding both points have been taken on board and shared with the Food and Beverage team as to why we were not able to offer you something other than the sandwiches that you note.

I am pleased you enjoyed your room and the location worked for you as a family. ( Apologies for the family room availability, we have one at the hotel that was booked out for a long stay ).

Thank you for taking the time to review and feedback and I hope you will look us up if ever back in the area .

Best regards,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Unfortunately we could only spend one night at this hotel. We had not booked ahead but were greeted very warmly at reception and shown to a very large and quite luxurious room. The bar was very comfortable with reasonably priced drinks. We didn't eat at the restaurant in the evening but did enjoy a delicious and varied breakfast the next morning. All the staff we came across were very attentive and friendly. This hotel is across the road from Cromwell's House and the beautiful Cathedral. It's worth doing the town walk that is suggested by the hotel. It may be a little pricey compared to other accommodation in Ely but you certainly get value for money. Would definitely stay here again if lucky enough to visit Ely again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bolly27

Dear Bolly27,

Thank you for your review of Poets House. I am pleased you had a good stay with us and also got to see the sights of our wonderful city, Ely. Your comments regarding the staff , product and service have all been received with great thanks and shared with all concerned.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and if back in these parts we will look forward to seeing you again !!

Best wishes.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We took my father and his wife here for a "bucket list" trip (he has terminal cancer). The hotel were warm and welcoming and looked after us really well. They allowed him to keep his car close at hand should he need it. The rooms were excellent and the copper baths are a delightful luxury.
We ate in the first night and the food was great. The staff were really helpful and quietly there when needed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brassjon

Dear Brassjon,

Thank you for your recent review of Poets House and indeed choosing us for your fathers ‘bucket list’ trip.

I am delighted that the stay was a good one and further that the team took care of you during this time. I hope your father enjoyed this part of his bucket list and that his health is as well and can be expected.

Sending you all our very best wishes during what must be a very difficult time. Please relay to your father that he is welcome to Poets House anytime !!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Excellent service with valet service for car parking, food excellent and wine list reasonable and rooms with big baths recommended-central for tourist activity including Oliver Cromwell's house and cathedral-recommend a visit.

Room Tip: room with bath
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Julian H,

Thank you for your review of Poets House. I am pleased to read of your recommendation for us an appreciation for the hotel and team.

Much appreciated Julian and I hope you will look us up when back in the area.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 3 August 2014

After hearing lots of good things about the Dining room at the Poets House I was looking forward to a family birthday dinner out this weekend.

Unfortunately I found the menu a little bizarre. Trying a little too hard maybe, with some confusing wording and flavour combinations. Unfortunately nothing on the menu really made me excited about the meal ahead. It was the "New Season Asparagus" starter on the menu that really left me confused, as the English asparagus season finished two months ago. New season Peruvian Asparagus maybe?

I decided to go for the Duck liver parfait with ginger, as I am a ginger addict. I found my starter difficult to eat, the piped parfait in the glass made a bit of a mess. I found it really too over powering with ginger, it reminded me of a McVities Jamaica ginger cake, didn't taste the duck. Really disappointed.
I had for my main course a Rib eye steak. The rare steak wasn't great, a bland piece of meat and the chips were a little blonde and needed to stay in the fryer a little longer.
I didn't have a dessert, but two of my party did. One of them had the blackberry cheesecake, and said it wasn't great, bland and tasted like it was bought in, rather then homemade.

Maybe the kitchen was having an off day, I was so excited to go to the restaurant, but left unfortunately disappointed.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sarah P,

Thank you for your review of Poets House. I am sorry that we did not manage to meet your expectation on your visit. Your comments have been shared with our Food and Beverage team to see if there is any learning we can take from the points you make.

With that said we have a new Head Chef and an autumn menu that is about to launch and I am hopeful that you would find something in this selection to satisfy your palette should you choose to return if back in Ely.

In the interim, thank you again for taking the time to review us.

Best regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 2 days this week and have been delighted with the experience. I notified the 'butler' in advance that it was my husbands birthday and they kindly left him a card from the hotel in our room which was such a nice touch. I also let them know I am gluten free which they catered for superbly, with gluten free toast at breakfast and they even gave me separate butter so it wasn't contaminated.
Pulling in to the Poets House is lovely as it is right opposite the cathedral and the location is excellent.
The rooms are equipped with luxury items (of which I wanted to take with me but would have struggled to fit the copper bath in my suitcase!) Bose Bluetooth speaker playing from the room iPad mini, wow! Stunning decor with beautiful lights, mirrors and accessories.
The TV was logged in to Netflix so we have a huge library of things to choose from to watch after our delicious dinner in The Dining Room.
We have had a fabulous time and would highly recommend.
2 nights in Ely was perfect for a relaxing break, we did a cathedral tour and went up the octagon tower which was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank ellenwilson100
Tiltil, Owner at Poets House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear ellenwilson100,

Thank you for your review of Poets House, I am delighted that you had a great stay with us. We are always appreciative when our guests acknowledge the elements of product and service that sometimes get overlooked in such reviews, so thank you for taking the time to list them in your feedback.

I hope you will look us up when next back in the area !!

With Thanks and Best Regards,

David

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ely
Lamb Hotel
#1 of 36 in Cambridge
The Gonville Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
#2 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Poets House? Share your experiences!