“Special evening”

The Dining Room at Poets House Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dining Room at Poets House Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 109 Restaurants in Ely
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Special evening”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Took some colleagues to dinner to say thank you and we all had a splendid evening with fine food, wine and attentive service. Lovely

• Visited May 2014
David T, Owner at The Dining Room at Poets House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear jostony,
Thank you for your recent review of Poets House. I am pleased to read that you and your colleagues came and enjoyed our offering.
I hope you will be back to see us soon…
Best wishes,

Ely, United Kingdom
“Good quality”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visited just after they had opened. Staff were a little over attentive, which could have just been a settling in issue. Food of good quality and well balanced flavours. Well worth a visit for a special occasion.

Visited June 2013
David T, Owner at The Dining Room at Poets House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Ian S,
Thank you for your review of The Dining Room at Poets House. I note your visit was made not long after our opening and it is fair to say we have seen a settling throughout the property.
I hope you will be back to see us again soon to see the changes
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
“Every town should have a hotel like this!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Although we didn't stay at this hotel it looks fab, we only ate in the restaurant as we were visiting friends in Ely. The style, ambience and quality of service was outstanding throughout the hotel and next time we will make sure we stay.

We had cocktails first in the Study, which is located in the courtyard with huge glass windows. The choice of offering and the execution of the drinks was amazing (try the martinis, out of this world)

The food in the Dining Room reflected the pre dinner experience, the Pulled Pork Scotch Egg and Brixham Crab were very good, followed by the Cod and new season lamb. Simple flavours with a bit of a twist. Leave space for dessert though as these really rounded off an excellent meal.

Attentive and friendly service makes the Dining Room an all round fab meal. We noticed that they have a sister hotel in Newmarket, on our list to visit, perhaps taking in a race meeting

Visited April 2014
Dear Gonvena Hospitality,
Thank you for your review of The Dining Room at Poets House. I am delighted to receive your feedback and kind words for the property, product and team of which I will be happy to share with the team concerned.
We opened our sister property Paddocks House in Newmarket earlier this year and would very much wish for you to join us if ever in the area , the race meets are certainly worth visiting !!
Thank you again for taking the time to review and I hope to be welcoming you back with us in the future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable meal - will go back”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Had a lovely dinner at Poets House to celebrate our anniversary. I chose from the a la carte menu and my husband chose the house menu which was excellent value at £25 for 3 courses. Waiters were attentive, service was prompt and food delicious. A la carte and drinks are quite pricey, but then it is that type of venue and as a special occasion, to be expected. Overall very good and I think we will return.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Sam C
Dear Sam C
Thank you for your review of Poets House. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to the Dining Room and I hope you will be back to see us again soon.
Thank you again for taking the time to write.
Best wishes,
Cambridgeshire
“Port in a wine glass?”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel is excellent and my wife will review that. Sadly that just about ends the upbeat positives as we were very disappointed with the restaurant and to a lesser extent with the bar.

Ordering a pink gin and tonic should not be like asking for a drink from the planet Zog: pink gin is pretty straightforward so I was surprised that I had to explain it and in execution it was underwhelming. On the other hand, my wife's Hendricks was beautifully and cleverly presented.

Dinner. I do not appreciate being asked, almost sneeringly, if I am booked in on a discount deal. I was not. Not a great beginning. My starter held promise and I was looking forward to it: pulled pork scotch egg. It was however an unexciting offering only saved by a well poached egg. The pork was bland, overly crisp, and included something which may have been bone. My wife's risotto was apparently tasteless, redeemed only by the blue cheese fritters.

My main was lamb and to be fair it was excellent, as was the gnocchi and my wife's pork belly. The chips (ordered separately) were over cooked and dry and therefore not finished.

My wife ordered Eton Mess which turned out to be a collection of small items prettily arranged on the plate but it wasn't Eton Mess - the clue is in the name.

And to cap it all serving a glass of port in a wine glass was a bit of a surprise. On the plus side the espresso was very short and very good, albeit served in an ordinary teacup.

Overall a disappointing evening which we will not be repeating.

Breakfast, however, was of a high standard so full marks for that, and the waiter was a joy.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Mr_Nibbler
David T, Owner at The Dining Room at Poets House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Mr_Nibbler
Thank you for your review of Poets House. I am sorry to learn of the dissatisfaction with your dining experience and thank you for the constructive way in which your review offers feedback that we can work with.
Rather than protract into each issue, I would like to advise out that we are currently reviewing our products and are about to introduce a new Head Chef into Poets House to eliminate any such concerns, as you have raised in your review. We would very much welcome the opportunity to invite you back to see the changes made and to hopefully restore some faith in what we do.
Again, please accept my apologies for our shortfalls on your visit. Your feedback has been received in the manner in which it was offered and I do hope you will take up an invitation to come back to Poets House and have the experience you originally came to us for.