“WE adored the Victoria Hotel - and We did go back!”
Review of The Victoria Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alderney
The Victoria Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alderney
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We made our second visit to the Victoria Hotel and Jenny after first visiting two years ago. The accommodation was clean, comfortable and newly re-decorated. Both we and our two greyhounds were made most welcome. The guest lounge too was very comfortable and well stocked with books, magazines and games should we need them.

Jenny's breakfast was excellent for me, (cooked full english - or should that be full Alderney?) and my wife, who loves fruit - Jenny provided a great selection for us.

I would say that the hotel, like the island itself, is charming, full of character and friendly, and I know that we will be back again soon.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 July 2011

whoever wrote the bad review about this great hotel has a personal problem as this is a great site and jenny made us all feel at home with good rooms, excellent food and all we could wish for in a location you could die for. super location, super lady owner, must go back soon.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jparkie16
Reviewed 6 June 2011

stayed for wildflife week - original telephone call to hotel prompted advice on flights, taxis, and assistance with travel arrangements
lovely double room and en suite - clean towels when needed and firm clean beds. rooms serviced each day and hoovered
breakfast selection very good, with any style of hot breakfast -
owner, jenni, very accomodating and can advise on things to do and see,
in all a very friendly place...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2011

My wife and I recently spent four day days at this so called Hotel. Really you could only class it as a run down, seedy Guest House.
As we walked in the front door we were hit by the awful smell of damp, it was like being transported back to my Great Aunt's house that hadn't seen a duster for years, it was dark and dank.
The bedroom was dark and depressing, you could not see out of windows because they were filthy, I ran my finger over the top of the door frame it was black from years of not cleaning. That evening I decided to have a bath, whilst lying in the bath I clanced at the overflow and it was filthy, I wiped it with a damp cloth and the filth, argh!! The towels, it was like wiping my body with a piece of sandpaper. During our stay our bathroom floor was never cleaned because I left some bits down and they were still their when we left.
A good clean and a lick of paint would help this place to come alive.

The only saving grace was the breakfst plenty of it and very fresh.

This was not a cheap Hotel and would do well as a grotty B&B in Blackpool, charging £20 a night, not £50 a night in Alderney. I would suggest discerning travellers steer very clear of this dreadful place.

Whoever gave the past rave reviews must wear rose tinted glasses or maybe they have a vested interest in the Victoria!!

Room Tip: Stay in another Hotel!!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank marilyn-odwyer
victoriaAlderney, Owner at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2011

I'm very sorry you were unhappy with your stay at The Victoria. It's a pity you did not mention that you were dissatisfied with the room as the house was not fully booked and I could have found you another room. In fact I am very surprised that you found it so unsatisfactory as it was recommended by your friend on the island, whose family stayed with me in that very room last year and she must have described the kind of place it was.

As for the dirt on the bathroom floor - I always wash the bathroom floors everyday whilst cleaning so find that very surprising. In fact I work very hard to ensure that the house is welcoming clean and comfortable and most guests are appreciative. In fact I often get thank-you notes and shortly after your stay I received a lovely floral gift from some kind guests.

If you check out the other establishments on the island you will find that I am not out of line in terms of pricing. It is expensive on the island and the costs of water, electricity, heating oil and
food are all much more expensive than on the mainland as they have to incur a freight cost to get to the island. You cannot compare seaside resorts on the mainland where all these items are much cheaper and sources of supply varied

I suggest in future in you are unhappy with service in other establishments, you make a point of mentioning it the time.

Reviewed 29 August 2010

An excellent stay.
Our hostess was friendly, welcoming, helpful and looked after us very well.
Food excellent and varied - whatever we wanted.
The rooms all very clean and quiet at night time. The beds very comfortable.
Very good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank judyAylesbury
Reviewed 20 September 2009

We had a week staying with Jenny and it could not have been better. Jenny was a very helpful host, always willing to recommend the local resturants and sites to go and see.
The Hotel is perfectly situated at the bottom of Victoria Street, local to the resturants in St Annes and only a short walk down to the Harbour.
Jenny keeps the hotel very clean and tidy and there is always a wide choice of breakfasts to set you up for the day.
Would we stay stay there again, without a doubt.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank YMarkWill
Reviewed 7 May 2008

Having read some other reviews of the Victoria Hotel, my stay was approached with a little bit of apprehension - I need not have worried. The hotel was well maintained and spotlessly clean. My room was small, but the bed was new and the beautiful en-suite shower room looked as if it was only a few weeks old. The breakfast was excellent with a good choice and was more than enough to keep me going till lunch. As the base for a walking holiday, the hotel is ideal, near the middle of town and in the middle of the island.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank andrewack

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!