“Individual style with good food”
Review of Auberge du Val

Auberge du Val
Ranked #95 of 242 Restaurants in Guernsey
Price range: US$46 - US$184
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Individual style with good food”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Auberge du Val is not easy to find. If you can get to the church in St Saviours, then take the road going steeply down hill. Sounds rather odd, but we had been recommended to go to the Auberge so that we could see its garden. After we had ordered, we did stroll the garden (quite steep steps in places because of the valley). It was immaculate, restful and had some nice planting, making the best of its natural setting.

The restaurant has a small bar area with a pleasant patio outside where you order and have pre-drinks. There is a shortish set menu and also a blackboard with dishes of the day. Almost all the offerings seemed to use local produce and particularly fish and sea food. A good range of choice (unless you are a vegetarian who won't eat fish). The blackboard showed scallops with a garlic and chilli sauce. I like chilli, but 'have a thing' about scallops being such a delicate taste that I didn't want the chilli. That was no problem and the change was made with a smile. My wife had a crab starter and then brill. I had calamari followed by scallops. The main courses were served with a variety of fresh vegetables. My creme brûlée was super. Everything was cooked to perfection.

The service was just right, not too rushed, not too slow, friendly but not intrusive.

The one small downside was on the drinks front. It was my turn to drive and, on arrival, I asked "what do you have that is non alcoholic but interesting?" Sometimes this brings the most exquisite local concoctions. No luck. J2O was the answer. My wife asked for a glass of white wine while we perused the menu and walked the garden. She was offered no choice, only a Portuguese wine which was described as "the equivalent of Sauvignon blanc" . After our garden walk I said that I would like a glass of white with my dinner, but the only white on offer was this Portuguese wine - I had sipped some of my wife's and it was really not to my taste - very oily. The proprietor had a bit of a wobbly when I pushed and said surely he had other white wine by the glass. He is Portuguese and I think he took my dislike of his wine as slight on his country. It certainly wasn't meant to be. I know I am not alone in preferring the crisp whites rather than whites from hotter countries. The wine list was not prohibitive in price - several at around £25…but we simply wanted a glass. Perhaps the proprietor could be more flexible on his approach to both soft drinks (given location, almost every dinner group will have one driver) and range of wine by the glass.

The overall experience was a very pleasant one. The ambiance is warm, the service friendly, and the food excellent. The bill for two starters, two main courses, one pudding, a soft drink and two decent sized glasses of wine, was £82 plus tip. This is fine for food of this quality.

• Visited June 2014

Gsy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst meal I've ever had in Guernsey”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Horrible food, bad service and awful owner. French onion soup was like dish water and steak wasn't edible, steer clear.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Helina28
Perachora, Greece
“Excellent Meal - interesting comments on owner!”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Having visited on a Saturday lunchtime in January, may I say that I really enjoyed a first class set menu at a reasonable price in a location full of character.
The surprising thing was that on being presented with the bill I placed notes just above the value of the meal on the table with the intention of leaving a tip. The small amount of change £1 something went straight into the till without comment. Sorry Landlord your small gain earned you less than you could have had.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank DonaldandJaqueline
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We visited this restaurant with family for Sunday lunch recently having not been for several years. The atmosphere is cosy and we were given a warm welcome on arrival. The food was superb - between us we enjoyed the beef and the brill from the 'specials' board - both a delight. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the Auberge du Val - it is in a very picturesque spot and well worth a visit.

• Visited November 2013
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Dreadful place living in the past with smarmy owner”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Be warned -. Its virtually impossible to get one of the few 'nice tables' here.. This is our third and last visit. Give it another chance for tennerfirst we thought as the food is pretty decent as a rule. We have been wedged into a table that opens into the toilets , squeezed into a corner when we were 4 on a table for 2 and tonight put as a 3 on a table for 2 - one of us sat in the corrider to the bar , one by the coffee macine and one by the kitchen - my clothes stink of grease by the way. When we asked the smarmy guy who seemed to be the manager he said the other tables were booked (we booked about a month ago). I spend a lot of money in good restaurants where i am looked after and appreciated on this island. Avoid this place please , you don't need the hassle. There are so many better places to eat on guernsey ...

• Visited October 2013