“One night felt like two in this peaceful, well-run guest house”
Review of Clos de Vaul Creux

Clos de Vaul Creux
Ranked #7 of 10 Sark B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We needed a quiet break and this guest house provided just that. Leigh and her son were most welcoming and our attic room (Jasmine) gave both of us the best night's sleep for a long time, (lovely pure cotton linen on the bed, much appreciated). The approach was cheerful informality and that suits us just fine, it is not easy to cater for everyone's differing needs and requirements for multiple short-stay guests, but for a very small island with few resources, Clos de Vaul Creux was excellent. If you like more formality, service and amenities, then a Hotel would be a better choice, but if cleanliness, good food, friendliness in well furnished, peaceful surroundings, then this is perfect. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Having a liking for islands, I took advantage of spare w/e to visit Sark, and without going into great detail, I fell in love with the place. Totally apart from the modern world around it, with a pace and style of life that harks back to an age before the interrnal combustion engine took over the planet. I chose Vaul Creux as an internet late deal and wasn't disappointed. Leigh, the proprietor was attentive and concerned about my well being, almost to a fault, and was a fund of local knowledge. I stayed in the Charcoal Roses room, which was immaculately clean, quirky and fun, with beautiful views over a vineyard to the sea. Starched linen sheets had the owners monogram stitched in, and a comfy mattress. No bluebottles under the bed this time (see another review!) and I could live with the restricted headroom. Breakfast was enjoyable with tasty local sausages and home grown tomatoes. The interior of this period house was homely and welcoming and an attractive courtyard and garden awaited outside. The location is very close to all the amenities. Quibbles? Couples might find having the loo next to the bed a bit too intimate!! The appealing Victorian bath, while wonderful to luxuriate in after a hard day's cycling around the island, doesn't have sufficient headroom for a conventional shower. The wi fi signal was very flaky this far from the router; best to use it downstairs. The stairs up are steep if you have mobility issues.

Separately I had an evening meal at Stock's Hotel and afternoon tea at La Sablonnerie on Little Sark and if you wanted something a bit further upmarket than a guest house, those 2 hotels looked very appealing as well as places to stay. But both Clos de Vaul Creux and Sark are highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Christopher S
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We have just returned from a one night visit in Sark. We had a wonderful time in Alderney staying at the Braye Beach Hotel and having viewed a tv programme on Sark thought it would be an ideal end to our trip. The island is beautiful and we had high hopes when I looked at rooms on the website. When I booked away back in January, I had been told that there was only one room remaining as the folk festival was starting that weekend. I explained that it was for myself and my two children, one eight years old and one fourteen. We were charged £150.00 for the night.
I was very surprised when I was told by the owner that nobody else was booked in for our Thursday night stay and we were the only residents. The room was adequate. We were in attic bedroom with an en-suite bathroom. There was no shower. The kettle flex was too short to allow it to be plugged in and sit on the chest of drawers so I had to put it on the floor to use it. There were several dead blue bottles under the bed and although the bed linen was good, the pillows on my daughter's bed were so flat she needed three of them. The owner had warned about mosquitoes if we left the windows open at night and had left some plug in repellents with a 2 pin plug. Unfortunately there was no adaptor and it could not be used in our 3 pin plug system. The room did have sky tv but the television was so close to the floor on a make do arrangement that I nearly tripped on it when walking across the room. The carpet was stained in the bedroom and in the toilet there was a gap between the carpet and the doorway with a 3 inch gap exposing bare floorboards.
We were down at 9am for breakfast and were told it was being set up outside. It all seemed very haphazard and although it did all appear by 9.35am it wasn't the relaxing breakfast I expected. We were booked on a horse and cart ride at 10 am which the owner was aware of so we had a rush breakfast and go. The owner seemed very stressed by my daughter's allergies and although she made an effort it made the experience rather tense as I wondered if she fully understood. I had read the breakfasts were very good but In my opinion they were acceptable. The most noticeable feature was the organisation. Everything seemed chaotic and certainly not the tranquil and relaxing experience I had hoped for. Would I come to Sark again? Yes, without a doubt. Would I stay in this guest house again? Most definitely not!

Room Tip: If above 5 ft tall ask for a room with reasonable head height!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Wendy W
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed for a long weekend having chosen this guest house as it accepted dogs and it appeared to be of a better standard than what you would normally expect. We weren't wrong. Leigh the proprietor is very friendly, attentive and helpful host.
We had a ground floor room with an en-suite bathroom and an access door to the garden. The bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean. We were supplied with bowls, a freshly laundered bed and towels for our Bulldog.
The breakfast was freshly made for us with cereals, fruit juices, freshly made coffee and a full english cooked breakfast. We had the option of having the breakfast before 9am if we wanted but we decided 'What's the rush' we went to Sark to relax and unwind. This guest house is one of the best we have stayed in, it has a welcoming feel as soon as you walk through the door with nice furnishings and a clean homely feel about it. The garden is large with various areas where you can sit in the sun and take in the tranquility. The guest house is located next to the town and a great central location in which to explore Sark.
Thanks Leigh for a lovely stay and if you will have us back we will see you next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My Husband and myself and our two dogs stayed at the Clos De Vaul Creux, we felt that the owner Leigh was very friendly and very very accommodating for us all. Our dogs where supplied beds and bowls and where also made to be made very welcome. On our arrival we where met with a very warm welcome and everything was explained to us. We stayed in a room called wisteria this was a lovely clean and crisp room, the dogs loved it.

Breakfast was fantastic (cooked and cereal) and leigh again was very accommodating for ourselves and our dogs, we attended our sitting for breakfast at a early time so that the dogs could be with us and not disturbed.

We will be definately rebooking this B&B with our dogs next year, we will be also recommending this establishment a definate stay if you have a DOG or even two DOGS.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Travelled to Sark for the first time and stayed overnight. Leigh at Clos de Vaul Creux was an excellent host and went out of her way to ensure we had a pleasant stay. Slept in the Charcoal Roses room which had great views and a fabulous slipper bath. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and tasted delicious. I would recommend this to everyone visiting Sark and I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We live in Jersey and have travelled to Sark many times. We rarely stay and generally come only for day trips. I'm 7 months pregnant so we decided a long weekend in Sark would be lovely before the little one comes & we weren't disappointed. We were met with a very warm reception, our room (Jasmine) was very roomy, clean and perfectly in order. Being on the ground floor it was shaded which we greatly appreciated in the 30 degree heat! Breakfast was varied and absolutely delicious. Nothing was too much trouble. We would most certainly stay again and would recommend to our family & friends.
Lisa & Eddie

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sark
Stocks Hotel
#1 of 3 in Sark
The Yacht Inn
The Yacht Inn
#4 of 8 in St Peter Port

Been to Clos de Vaul Creux? Share your experiences!