We last visited Sark in 1965 whilst on our honeymoon. On that visit we stayed at the Dixcart Hotel and we thought it would be somewhat nostalgic to stay there again on our recent visit. Thankfully for us there were no vacancies - in fact the hotel appears to be closed!
As a result we chose to stay at La Sablonnerie Hotel. Despite quite a few adverse reviews about this hotel we decided that this was where we would stay, because it also held a touch of nostalgia for us.
This turned out to be a brilliant decision. It is 'excellent in every way and most idyllic'.
I find it hard to understand some of the adverse reviews. People moaning about the remoteness or the inaccessible beaches or no televisions or no locks on the doors - and the costs. Lets get real; all these things surely were apparent to people before they went. They were to me!!
One reviewer actually criticised the honeymoon suite in which we had the pleasure of staying. This suite is one of the most attractive and comfortable suites you will find in any hotel. No, the door didn't lock - but I knew about that when I booked!!
Some of the rather offensive and derogatory comments about the owner and the staff and the food and the tips beggars belief and are for me completely unfounded.
We found the owner Ms Elizabeth Perree to be a completely charming, caring and sincere host who, together with her staff, went out of their way to help people and make their stay enjoyable and memorable. The quality of the food and the standard of catering was most excellent and the service entirely professional.
With regards to tipping this was perfectly normal at 10%, and most acceptable to us, as each and every member of staff in some way or another - whether in the restaurant or in our room - contributed that something extra which makes your stay so special.
I would urge you to ignore the critics and indulge in this experience.
You won't regret it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the magical charm of La Sablonnerie, a hotel of rare quality situated in the southern part of Sark, even more beautiful, remote and romantic than the rest. Unspoiled and scenic, it is a haven for lovers of peace and tranquillity. Nestled in the lovely award winning gardens(Sark Midsummer Show 2012) this oasis of hospitality has an enchanting air of simplicity and sophistication. The bar is a convivial meeting place with a roaring log fire. Savour a gourmet luncheon or dine romantically by candlelight. Excellent cuisine, including fresh Sark lobster and produce from the farm and gardens. Own horses and carriages. A truly amazing experience. Don't leave the Channel Islands without visiting Sark and Little Sark.It will be an experience that will live with you forever. Birds, Butterflies and Flowers - SARK - How could one not enjoy this beautiful paradise? A stepping stone to heaven. An hotel with a real 'joie de vivre' ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms so you can book your La Sablonnerie reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Sablonnerie Hotel Sark
- La Sablonnerie Sark, Channel Islands