“was a little apprehensive after reading all these reviews but ....”
Review of Lloyds of Chester

and 1 more site!
Lloyds of Chester
Ranked #45 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We usually try and stay in a Travelodge, but could not get in, so when I saw this hotel near the center, I thought the price was very reasonable.
First impressions were that it looked like it could do with a paint job on the outside. We went in and were told we could park round the back, there were already 4 cars parked, but we managed to park easily, bit of a squeeze, but managed it & we were not going to use the car while we were there anyway.
We went with friends and found the hotel to be clean, has a food rating 5 which is excellent. The breakfast was lovely, hot, lots of choice too. The staff were very friendly and helpful, ok they were not English, but where do you find all English staff nowadays?
The bed was comfy & clean, we had clean towels for each day.
The bathroom was very tiny, like others have written, like entering a caravan shower cubicle. But it was clean, everything worked, there is room for toiletries and there is a towel rail behind the toilet. Only thing I would say is the toilets are very noisy, as in you can hear other people using the loo ! And if you are larger than the average person or disabled, you would certainly struggle to use the bathroom facilities.
Only other things that niggled was we could hear the upstairs people in the night! The windows could not be left open during the day as the fire escape was under our window so we could not safely leave for the day and leave it open for fear of someone entering through the window, same reason why we could not leave it open at night.
The decor is dated and could do with a facelift, but still found it clean.
We were only using it as a base for the weekend, so that was fine for us.
I think the description as a luxury hotel is stretching it, but it was comfy, so maybe they could change that.

Room Tip: the rooms at the back are much quieter as you get the noise from the traffic at the front.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have never written on here but feel very strongly about Lloyds and would like people not to go there. We booked for 2 nights. This hotel was advertised as luxury family run hotel. I did not see any luxury and they must of been the adams family. We turned up and was sent to a room that wasnt even cleaned so sent to room 34. We walked in and it was dirty. The bed was flanel blankets, the bathroom was from a caravan with a plug hole on the floor, and as for the shower i dont think it had ever been cleaned. We were late getting there so went straight out. The next morning we went for breakfast which was so disgusting. The sausages were red inside, the hash brown well it was awful. We stood up and walked out and checked into the abode. We are not snobs but a nice clean bed is all i ask for. My head was so itchy the next morning. I urge anyone not too book this hotel. I would of happily slept in the public toilets compared to this hotel!!!!!!

Room Tip: there are no good rooms im sure
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We booked this hotel for 3 nights, we were given a room next to the fire exit. I would describe the room in brief

the bed...flannel bedsheets...that have been overused and the duvet is quite small for 2 persons.
...the bed sheets were smelly as well.
the bathroom consist of a shower cabinet 50X50 cms with sliding doors ( the doors weren't closing properly so water was spilling everywhere), a toilet and wash basin....No where to hang the towel or clothes or even space for the toiletries.

the room was very cold because the window's lock were broken, so they weren't closed completely........draft was coming in all the times.... we asked for a radiator but was one that switches off every 10 mins.

the Wifi wasn't even connecting...........

we walked out of this hotel within few hours because the receptionist (the owner) said that they didn't have any other available rooms....he even refused to refund the money that we had already paid

To be fair we paid for 3 days, i wouldn't expect a full refund but at least 3/4 of what we paid.....

We have been around the world in different types of Hotels........but this one is the worst i've been so far............

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL EVEN TO MY WORST ENEMY!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Wish a had read the reviews … unfortunately there is no option for worst than "terrible"
I've been around places and I thought I saw everything ... until we got to this one and deceived by the pictures (a total misinterpretation of this hotel), we decided to book a room for three days. I've been in hostels and hotels in the New Delhi Bazar that look like a 5 star hotel compared with this one. The car park is non-existent or if there is one I couldn't find it anywhere "at the back of the hotel" (to quote the guy at the desk) … the rooms are dirty, in order to switch on the light we had to put the card in, switch on first the toilet light and after the one in the room (it worked cause my wife was "helped" earlier when she checked in by one of the staff members). Speaking about bathroom, it is smaller than the one static caravans have (and I am not joking … I have been living in one). The “free Wi-Fi” advertised works for the first 10 min and afterwards whenever. The people at the reception are most unfriendly, rude and uncaring ever met in a similar position. But worst of all … it’s an unsafe place … the main reason we actually left, the windows do not close properly and with a back extension roof (adjacent to one of the alleys) just 3 ft below the window frame, it’s the most unsafe place to sleep at night or leave the room during the day.
Run away … choose another!

Room Tip: Do not go!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HoratiuB
Reviewed 23 September 2013

like the person above,i have just come back a day early from this very smelly hotel/hostel/bedsit.
i really should have known it was going to be bad when a saw the plastic flowers and the crumbling paint outside,but this place looks lovely on the internet...we were welcomed by a small round unshaven man wearing a fleece behind reception who took our money straight away,we were taken to our rm by a young an who couldnt speak much english,when he opened the door to our rm i thought they had made a mistake and put us in the broom cupboard it was tiny.we looked around for the bathroom before hubby found it inside a cupboard.the rm was clean,the sheets were clean and the bathroom was clean but god the place smelt,and the paintwork was filthy.
we were told that the hotel had a carpark which it did for three cars,we had to pay £11.40 to park at the station over the road.
our rm over looked the fire escape so we couldnt open the windows,the front of the hotel looks over to a hand car wash and a sex shop .
in the evening hubby and i went into chester for dinner and drinks and when we got back hubby put the kettle on to make coffee and the mirror steamed up,someone had written DEATH on the mirror and it had not been cleaned propley.
we slept ok and the next day went down to breakfast,hubby had full english and i asked for egg,saus,my breakfast came 1 egg 1sausage on a big plate,hubbys lokked nice and he said it was tasty,when i cut my egg i noticed two small flies under the egg and the sausage was red inside,could i ge
t the young polish girl to understand that i had a fly on my plate,she just didnt understand me,i called a chinise girl over and she understood me and took my plate away.i didnt want a replacement and just had a piece of toast.we then decided to go home and not stay another night like we had planned and payed for.
friendly staff when you can make them understand you.
but dont go there unless your desperate.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sue j
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have just returned back a day early from this awful hotel. I don't read reviews that have little niggles about the hotel but I can generally say that PLEASE believe all that bad reviews on this hotel. We arrived and got showed to our room it smelled horrible a musty dusty smell and it even had the window open. The bathroom should be put in the Guinness book of records for the smallest bathroom ever, the fan on the ceiling was so full of dust you put the light on and it stunk the whole bedroom out. The wiring the hotel look dangerous a bad DIY botched job all wires hanging out. The photo's on the website make the hotel look nice but believe me it looks like a cheap bedsit. We didn't want to cause a fuss so we left on the second night very quickly to get out that awful hotel and cut our loses I will be very careful and always take in account for trip advisors reviews.

Room Tip: Please don't go this hotel until the give the rooms some TLC!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mickythecat
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed in a pleasant family room which faced the front of the building, it was very clean. the breakfast was varied and plentiful, and the staff were all very friendly and professional. i would recommend Lloyds to friends and family. we parked the car in the railway car park and had no hassle unlike Cardiff whose wardens will look for any reason to spoil the weekend even for a couple of minutes
Chester is also a beautiful place to visit, making a very nice stay with the Family

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family