“Safety hazard”

Ranked #44 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Safety hazard”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

The rooms where filthy, damp the bathroom facility's were taken straight from a 1970's caravan. Bed linen stains. but worst of all there were bare wires to the side of the tv Witch was next to my four year olds bed. The managers response was that we should have read previous reviews before booking .Needless to say we checked out without staying the night!

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed at this "hotel " in April and it's safe to say that the photos on booking.com make it look a lot better than it really is! This is no way a three star hotel more like one star. It looks shabby, the rooms defiantly need a lick of paint. The room was quite big but the bedding was flannel bedding, the pillows were stained yellow and didn't look very clean. The bathroom is very small...made out of plastic like you would imagine in a caravan. The view out of our window was a fire escape and the car park....which wasn't a car park just a back street with a few spare spaces - didn't feel that safe leaving the car there. The only good thing was the lady on reception was very friendly and nice. If your not bothered where you stay and just want a bed for the night then go for it....but you wouldn't want to spend much time here .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicwild

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Caithness and Sutherland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I was apprehensive about our booking at this hotel after reading previous reviews, and as my card had been charged before we arrived I was unable to cancel the booking, I should have used Booking.com...
However it proved to be fine, it is not 3 star, more like 1star, that being said the Lady who is running the hotel whilst the owner is away,was exceptionally helpful and kind . Our rooms were changed as she could see my husband was not fit enough to carry a case up two flights of stairs ( I had requested lower floor adjacent rooms on a telephone booking with the owner, but he had allocated upper floor rooms) . The rooms were both large, clean with good hanging space (we were there for a big wedding) . The bathrooms are not good, just small pods, ours was very clean , but my daughters not so good and even smaller. WiFi was excellent and free, breakfast very good, freshly cooked with a good choice of all things full English , plus yogurts cereals juice croissants and pastries, and green tea available. Housekeeping efficient , bedding somewhat worn and although clean didn't feel fresh. All in all value for money if you are not too fussy. Plus I left my iPad behind, and when I realised the next day, they had it still when we phoned. I am not sure other establishments would have been so honest.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pennorth
Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I booked into this hotel after looking at the photos and price, also as it was close to the train station. Myself and daughter (who was attending a university audition) worried needlessly after reading other reviews. On arrival we were shown to a CLEAN room, with plenty of tea and coffee etc. There was also lots of little soaps and a couple of small bottles of body wash in the bathroom. As stated in other reviews the bathroom is small, but very functional and the shower was very powerful and hot! (Please be aware if you are planning a party in the bathroom or want to sleep in there, then this hotel isn't for you ;-))
My daughter and I had a great nights sleep in a COMFORTABLE bed, which incidentally had CLEAN bedding on it! The room was lovely and WARM. The view from our window wasn't great (but we had no plans to sit looking out of the window anyway)
Breakfast was freshly prepared and served by HELPFUL and FRIENDLY staff.
This hotel is a few minutes walk from bkth the train station and the city centre and was GREAT value for money. I WOULD BOOK AGAIN!
After reading other reviews I am convinced that some people just like to find fault!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LancashireMummybear
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed at Lloyd's for 2 nights at the start of February, when coming to Chester for a friend's birthday. I booked it purely on the price, as everywhere else I looked at seemed ridiculously expensive and was extremely worried when I read some of the reviews before we arrived. However, for what we needed it was perfect. The location is very close to the station which was handy when we arrived and it takes about 10 minutes to walk into the centre. It is also handy for a great pub with real ale and ciders, which is almost right across the road.
The owner was extremely friendly to us both on arrival and whenever we saw him throughout the stay. He gave us some useful information we required regarding directions and was really pleasant.
Breakfast was nice and included an interesting spicy/herby sausage and a hash brown; we had struggled to find many other places where it was actually included in the price so were very happy with it, especially as there was plenty of butter!
We had the room which other people have complained about, with a fire escape just outside but I didn't feel at all unsafe. The room itself was clean, tidy and warm. The bedcovers were a bit woolly, which some people may not like, but I found it cosy.
The bathroom, as noted in other reviews, is a kind of self-contained pod, but I couldn't see why this was not a problem, particularly as the shower was amazing - really hot and powerful.
Overall, we had a great stay in a warm, clean room in a good location for us; it is not the height of luxury but the price was very reasonable and the stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bethan G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on the 27th and 28th January. We were told on arrival that we had been upgraded to a family room free of charge! as the one we had booked would be too small for me, hubby and baby, room was very clean and tidy, maid service and fresh towels every day. Bathroom a bit small but as me and hubby are petite it didn't effect us. Yes u could here traffic outside but our room was facing a busy main road, the room was lovely and warm. Breakfast was very nice. Hot breakfast was freshly cooked to order and staff we're very friendly towards baby. For a three star hotel its what we expected. We would stay here again. Man on desk (foreign) very welcoming and nice.... thank you :-)

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank katierose1983
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We booked into the hotel to find our room was Freezing cold ! ( 01/2/14) . I was told the heating was on a timer ! There was no thermostat in the room ! The shower unit resembled an old portaloo , which was to small for my 6ft hsband to squeeze into and the toilet was as small as an plane loo .I found that the bedding was clean but shabby , and the pillows were stained. Im glad we only stayed for 1 night !

• Stayed February 2014