All reviewstrain stationserved its purposefull englishshower roomtea and coffeetown centredouble bedvisit chestercerealhairdryeriron
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I cannot emphasise enough how terrible this hotel is. If like me, you think this is a cheap and cheerful, no frills hotel in chester PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE AND DO NOT STAY HERE!

I had issues from the start with this hotel, the first of which was with the booking process. I booked through an agency for 22 people, and called the hotel to find out how many bedrooms and how many beds in each room had been allocated to our group, only to discover that the very obnoxious and rude manager, Saleh Yousef, had mixed our booking with another group and expected us to share not only rooms but beds with complete strangers from this other party!! It was only after speaking with the booking agent again (who was also resistant to speak to the "difficult man" who owns the hotel) that any arrangements were changed. After having to call the hotel several times over other issues, I was told different room numbers and bed allocations every time, and when we actually arrived the numbers were different again.

Then there were the rooms: dated, dirty, noisy, not safe and with tiny bathrooms akin to a space-saver campervan toilet. The Windows were definitely not suitable for children, as they were easily opened completely and at a low level on the wall with a bed against some of them.

Then there was the seedy manager, who offended and verbally abused the majority of our group! As well as his rude attitude and nasty demeanour, he behaved inappropriately to several of the female members of our group, and implied he should be invited into some of their rooms to "play". I found this disgusting behaviour for an owner, and it was all I could do to apologise to those who had to deal with him.

Finally, the area is within a 10 minute walk of the centre of Chester, but the hotel was surrounded by 'adult' shops and 'massage' parlours that just add to the cheap and tacky feel of the place.

Overall, please avoid this hotel, it really isn't worth the hassle! You'll be disappointed at best and offended or abused at worst! Truly terrible experience.

Room Tip: Don't book one!
3  Thank Emma L
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for 2 nights. Manager argued with some of our group on arrival because HE had mixed up our hen weekend with another one and double-booked! His resolution - up to 5 complete strangers sharing rooms! The hotel is shabby and shady like the manager and it should have been much cheaper. There is a sex shop opposite too - not a classy area!
Plus points - free WiFi and ample breakfast. Minus points - old nylon sheets, insufficient towels and pillows, tiny bathroom cupboard, suggestive behaviour towards customers. Vile man!!!

Room Tip: Please choose a room elsewhere!
3  Thank Lynne616
Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a terrible hotel.

I've never seen anything like the prefab all in one toilet/shower room that was tiny (1 meter square perhaps?). 6 of us returned after day at races at 11:15pm and not one of our 6 keycards for our party worked to get into the side door, and hotel was left unmanned at night. After phoning the emergency number, proprietor turned up 1 full hour later to let us in. Luckily it wasn't raining.

Rather than being offered tea/coffee/breakfast, all had to be requested from the surly waitress and when it arrived, bland meal, with low quality ingredients.

Manager was initially helpful when we arrived but incorrectly programming our keycards and having no-one else either on site or within 10minutes reach for our problem really is unforgiveable for a "luxury retreat in the heart of Chester"

Evidence of poor cleaning standards in some rooms also.

I suppose it's a case of get what you pay for. Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms if you want a lie in as some downstairs rooms next to toilet/kitchen and breakfast area.
1  Thank RussK0503
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Describes itself as 'a luxury retreat in the heart of Chester' - it is neither luxury or in the heart of Chester. After being greeted by the rudest hotelier I've ever met, there was a cock-up with the rooms and I ended up in a camp bed, for which no linen was provided, I had to go scrabbling around looking through dingy cupboards.

Rooms are tired and dirty, our window was permanently open, the bathing facilities are essentially pre-fabricated caravan toilet/shower blocks placed in the corner of the bedroom.

Location is handy for the station, but not in the heart of the city, it's a taxi ride from the city center.

Breakfast was similarly terrible, the words "English breakfast for everyone, make it easy for me" preceded the greasy mess which arrived.

Admittedly, there was a large group of us, but there's no excuse for this level of service, they knew we were doing with plenty of notice, and no provisions were made.

Room Tip: There are none
3  Thank nat1217
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I stopped here recently. On the upside the hotel was very clean and the service was good. A bit close to the ring Road and noisy at night. The shower room was very compact - wouldn't want to be overweight to get in there. Wifi very good and handy for the Station and the centre of Town. Didn't sleep very well (bedding rather than bed to blame). But as a stopover hotel it served its purpose.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple