“A Birthday Treat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Chester
desert_rose10
“A Birthday Treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

We stayed here earlier this week for my fiance's birthday and really enjoyed it. I got a great deal on Late Rooms and opted for the Newbrook room which, complete with a 360 degree round bed, was absolutely great. They seemed to have thought of every little detail and we especially loved the Nespresso machine in the morning. The staff were friendly and welcoming - I'm only sad we didn't get a chance to try out the restaurant. My only complaint was the takeaway breakfast (a bag is delivered outside your door with orange juices, apples and a small pastry), which when considering the cost of the room, it would have been nice to have received a full size croissant at least. We still felt quite hungry afterwards.

All in all, it's a great boutique hotel and we would definitely visit again for another special occasion.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

Have been here several times with my partner & had a gorgeous meal usually washed down with great choice of wines. On my most recent visit i had "use the cubicle" bit of the toilets ( if you know what i mean!). The first toilet was that heavily soiled in matter i almost threw up & the 2nd had no lock do there i was in the middle of Chester with a huge problem. I have never experienced this ever in my life in a 5star establishment & shows a clear lack of attentiveness to very basic issues. This is very off putting for diners too who should expect a higher standard of hygiene when paying huge amounts at such a venue.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Thelobsterman
Ellesmere, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

My wife and I had our wedding reception at Odfellows on the 4th August and it was the best day of our lives by far.

The venue was absolutely perfect and the staff had gone to great lengths to ensure everything was just how we wanted it laid out. The wedding breakfast was delicious, as was the buffet in the evening.

All staff were very attentive and helpful and delivered food and a bottle of champagne to our room for us which was a pleasant surprise.

Oddfellows has gone through a recent renovation which has made it even better. It is a quirky venue with lots of nice touches that you don't always spot immediately. The secret garden is superb and there are lots of interesting photo opportunities in the hotel.

We booked the four older rooms on the top floor and they were great. These rooms have lots of character and are beautifully decorated.

We were overjoyed with Oddfellows as our wedding reception venue and would highly recommend it. We will be visiting Oddfellows more often to try out the menu and reminisce over our perffect day.

3 Thank Fay040812
Sarah D, Guest Relations Manager at Oddfellows, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Congratulations again! We hope you see you again on your one year anniversary!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

Wow!!! Superb treat for myself and my girlfriend. Amazing boutique/bespoke interior design, cool secret garden and whole experience and hotel service, friendliness and cleanliness-perfect 10/10!! Would definitely recommend to others, already have done and will definitely return and have a spa next time.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Please keep an eye on our website for more exciting offers.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

I just spent two nights at Oddfellows Chester whilst visiting friends, after reading all the comments on trip advisor I felt compelled to write on here as it seems that management at Oddfellows haven't learnt by their mistakes! On check in the staff were really unhelpful and didn't give us any information about the hotel, i.e. breakfast options if any, the front door being locked at what time etc so we had to find this out for ourselves! Also on check in they wanted to pre authorise a enormous amount of money, I expect a credit card to be taken at most hotels but not a preauthorisation of nearly £500 for two nights, I refused and then just had to pay up front for the room charges.

We stayed in a classic double, it's very well decorated like most of the hotel, but very snug and the beds are too small for two large adults, the bathroom doesn't have a separate door, it's a shared shower door and bathroom door, which is a good space saving idea but slightly uncomfortable in terms of privacy and hygiene in my opinion. The air conditioning was rubbish making it extremely hot in the room, this for me was the worse issue, as it prevented me from sleeping along with the soft mattress dipping in the middle massively. We had been travelling all week so had a lot of baggage and there is no lift or on hand help with bags so we had to also do this all ourselves. In all I thought this hotel was over priced, they seemed to have spent all their money on furnishings and decoration instead of staff training and fundamentals like comfort for your guest are out the window, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to others there are better options for the same price in Chester.

Stayed August 2012
mancheaster england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

No information given wene checking in,which meant we got locked out of the hotel at 10.30.after continually pressing the door bell for 10 minuets one of the bar staff let us in.
There was no apology ,and they looked at us as if it were our fault.
No breakfast was delivered to our room as ordered, and then wene we mentioned this to reception again no apology , we were handed a paper bag with a banana and a very small pastry.This is not what we expected from a 5 star hotel.
We had a terrible night sleep,the air conditioning in the room was very poor,and we had already been moved once,as the air con didn't work in the first room.
I also found it very strange that they asked to take £150 off my credit card for any breakages.This was a first for me, after staying in many hotels over the years I can't recall ever being asked this before.
On checking out we were not even asked the question, how was your stay.
All in all a disappointment ,and unfortunately would not choose to stay here again.
Great location though.

Room Tip: Loft rooms are far to stuffy.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sarah D, Guest Relations Manager at Oddfellows, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Dear Teresa
Thank you for your comments. I would like to discuss your stay further, if you could please contact me on 01244 895700 I would be gratful. I look forward to hearing from you.
Toulouse, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

A friend and I booked a room for 2 nights at Oddfellows as a girls shopping treat, mainly using it just as a base to come and drop bags off at between shopping jaunts, however as we loved the room and hotel so much we spent both mornings lazing around instead of spending money. The quirkiness of the secret garden, decor of the bar, wallpaper in the rooms and style overall had us enthralled. The hotel kindly upgraded us to a duplex suite that was magnificent and there was help by staff to bring bags up to the room as there wasn't a lift in our part of the hotel. The breakfast bag in the morning was welcomed and although we didn't eat in the restaurant, the food coming out of the kitchen all looked wonderful.
If you have an opportunity to stay in this hotel, take it!

Room Tip: We were in room 16 and it was gorgeous.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to welcome you again, in the not too distant future.