“Gorgeous, quirky hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous, quirky hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Chose this hotel for our stay in Chester for my birthday based on the reviews I had read on here. We paid £109 for a luxury room on Laterooms which I though was very reasonable given the standard of the hotel.
When we arrived one of the staff came out to greet us and carried our bags up the stairs. The girl on reception was friendly and chatty as she showed us to our room. She also advised us of the £75 pre authorisation payment they take incase of additional purchases. I've noticed that quite a few people have complained about this in their review but I think this is pretty standard for most hotels these days given the mini-bar, goodies etc in the rooms!
The room itself (we stayed in no. 11) was stunning and spotlessly clean. The main feature of the room is the huge round bed which was very comfortable. Be warned that the luxury rooms are open plan, so the shower is in the same room, and the toilet the other side of the shower - there are no doors, so you do need to be pretty comfortable with your partner to stay in one of these rooms! Probably not the best room for your first overnight stay together! Didn't bother us at all though. The furniture in the room is quirky and trendy, easily the nicest room I have ever stayed in. The shower was great, nice roomy cubicle. good powerful shower & nice toiletrees.There was also a decent hairdryer in the room plus a proper coffee machine which
which made a very nice change.
There is also an outside bar which I expect is great in the summer as there is a lovely seating area which is nicely decorated and laid out well.
I have one small gripe with this hotel (hence the rating of 4 rather than 5) and that's that we were told when we were shown to our room that the main door would be locked at 11pm but we would just need to press the buzzer and we would be let in straight away. Unfortunately this was not the case. We arrived back at the hotel at approximately 11:30. We pressed the buzzer once, twice, three times but there was no answer. We also knocked the door - a lot and tried to ring the hotel but no one came or answered the phone. I wouldn't have minded if it was snowing and blowing a gale but it was very cold so I was not pleased about being left outside for a good 15 - 20 minutes. Bear this in mind if you want to stay out past 11pm!
However, I would still stay here again as the good outweighed the bad.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't in the same bulding as the bar as it was very noisy when we walked thr...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Denbigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We booked a lunch party for 42 people back in October 2012. We had some difficulties at the beginning of this year due to a change of staff but when Emma, the new events coordinator took over the organisation improved and we felt more confident that our wishes would be met.
The party was held on Saturday and we are pleased to say that we were delighted with the location, the food and the service which were excellent.
The rooms they have for private dining for larger groups are upstairs. There is a big lounge area in one room and we had a huge oval table in the other oblong shaped room. 42 people was a bit of a squash to be honest so I would say that was about the limit.
The food was delicious and the main course was served quickly and was hot.
In the lounge there is a bar which we also used after the party for drinks.
The food is served from a separate kitchen upstairs and there are toilets either side of the bar exclusively for party guests.
In summary we feel we could happily recommend Oddfellows for a party such as ours.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Chester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

We had our wedding ceremony and reception at Odd Fellows on the 16th of Feb 2013.
It was an amazing day for us and a wonderful stay altogether! Our wedding day was all we could of wished for. At the wedding we had also 15 children that were very well accommodated! We stayed with my bridesmaid the night before the wedding. Also my in laws stayed there for the whole weekend and adored the hotel, they said that they will stay here the next time they visit Chester. With my husband we stayed the beautiful wedding night. We also had such a well organised and tasty dinner on the 15th with our families (10 people) in the exquisite dining room area. We can warmly recommend Odd Fellows both for overnight stays or for an unforgettable dinner. What truly made it so special for us was the remarkable staff!!!! The staff will do everything to make your stay just as special! We are planing on celebrating our anniversary's here! The interior and the design of the hotel is absolutely beautiful and eccentric .
Thank you so much for your hospitality! We can recommend Odd Fellows for both families,couples or business trips.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I usually now stay at the Abode and a booki b g mess up at my end forced a very late check on Late Rooms. On a whim I booked Oddfellows and the £85 seemed reasonable. When I arrived there it was not reasonable it was a bargain!

The decor is quirky and very stylish - most impressive. My room's lay out was unconventional however after such a late booking I can not complain. This is well worth the effort to stay at. The location is great, the staff very friendly and it's really relaxed and plush at the same time.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Warlock1963
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Never reviewed before, however just returned from a girls weekend staying here. What an amazing hotel from the decor to the staff. We were greeted with a speedy and efficient check in, stunned by the decor as showed to our rooms and then treated to a divine evening meal. The staff went out of their way to make our stay more than pleasant.
Buzzing from a lovely weekend, thank you. We will be back

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I treated my boyfriend to a night away as a slightly late valentines surprise on Sunday 17th Feb. The first thing we were struck by was how hidden this lovely hotel was. I've walked down this road several times and would never have known that this place was here!

Its a very central hotel which is walking distance from the centre of Chester with plenty of bars and restaurants on your doorstep. The river is less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel too!

The decor in the hotel itself and the rooms was outstanding. The quality of the room we stayed in had to be seen to be believed. I'd looked varous websites before I booked this and the pictures looked amazing but I don't think they did it justice.

As a few other people have pointed out on here, the shower and toilet area are very open plan - however, they are beautifully done. I would say that if you are the type of person that wants to be able to shut the door and have a bit of privacy when you use the shower/bathroom, then this may not be the kind of room for you (we stayed in room 6) - not sure what the other rooms are like.

The bar area in the hotel was gorgeous and very unique - I've never seen anything like the decor before! They have an extensive cocktail menu in here - which I sampled :-)

There is a large outdoor area with outdoor heaters to the rear of the hotel. We didn't actually sit here - we just walked through on our way to our room. However, it was a beautiful space that we would of taken advantage of had it not been so bitterly cold lol.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I hope to go back again soon. I may look into a room with a not so open plan toilet area next time though!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Southport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Spent last Sunday evening here and loved it! The room was beautiful (but why no bin?) and I loved the retro powder blue roberts radio. Open plan shower which some might find off putting! Few niggles stop this from being 5 star - we were a little disappointed in the restaurant - choices limited and I felt the price did not reflect the quality of the food we received that night. Also - had to ring down to reception to ask for our 'breakfast to go' which didn't arrive despite ordering it the night before.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the courtyard - not a prob on a sunday night but might be noisy Fri/Sat
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple